Pentium D 805 temp!!

assgrabber2

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
Currently running it at 3.32Ghz with this Scythe SCKTN-775 92mm CPU Cooler

From ABIT Guru: Temp High is 65*C & Shut down temp is 75*C
idle temp depend on room temp, but usuall 42~46*C
when doing light gaming ----> 60~66*C - is this normal????
multitasking & gaming ----> 62 ~70*C is this also normal????

is this temperature normal for the 805?? I assure many ppl have experience with this CPU. I know the C2D rocks now, but tis too much for me to do the upgrade.( time & $$ ). should i get a better fanheatsink?? like Artic Freezer 7pro or a Zalman. if so, i prfer one that is really quiet.

thank in advance

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Are you using ArcticSilver 5? and make sure that all fans are attached and clear ducts. Your temperatures are expected to be 50-55ish(considering it's a Pentium)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Youch ! maybe you got a lemon.... mines at 41C just doing some folding and browsing the net. If I load up something like Oblivion I get it up to about 51C ! hmmm might also mention that I have mine at 3.76Ghz, although I did run it at about 4Ghz for a while, but I got some faster ram and run it 1:1.

misterd33

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Hows it,

Your temps are a wee bit high, I run an 805 @ 3.33 with a gigabyte rocket cooler I am using Arctic silver, it runs between 50 - 60C depending on what Im doing.

Like YO_KID said, make sure that your case fans and CPU are all running and if need be reapply the themal grease and ensure good contact between the CPU and heat sink.
Even using standard thermal grease with an after market cooler you shouldnt see your temps getting above 60C not to mention 70C.

Hope it helps.

assgrabber2

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
the first time i hook it up, the temp was 40*C idle & 55 load. now it getting hotter & hotter. My ABIT Ni8 MB won't support pc6400, so my ram is 3x512mb muskin 675mhz pc5300 with 1:2 ratio <-- is this a good ratio? if not what is the best ram ratio.

i did apply the paste that come with the cooler, but not arctic silver 5, btw, where can i get those.
If i take it out right now, will i have to reapply the paste again? Also, which way should the fan point to?? right? left? up? down?

misterd33

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Hi Again,

The fan CPU fan should be expelling air towards the back of the case to go with the natural airflow of the case.

As for the grease if it came with the cooler it should be ok. If you take the cooler off in then you will need to apply new grease because the seal between the CPU and the heat sink will have been broken and air pockets will have been able form the seal wont be nearly as effective.

Any time your taking your CPU cooler off you should clean both the top of the CPU and bottom of the cooler.

Hope this helps, oh and as for arctic silver, my mate had some left from his build but I suspect that you will be able to find it a some computer stockists as it can be found at computer shops here in NZ.