Sign in with
Your question

Got Thermal Compound on Wrong Side of CPU

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2007 11:41:55 PM

Now before you laugh, I did it accidentally while cleaning the old grease off. I cleaned it all with some rubbing alcohol and there are no visible signs of grease anywhere on the processor now. Is this going to cause any problems?
March 6, 2007 11:46:00 PM

Keep cleaning the Connectors(if there are any visible signs left), as long as there isn't any visible Compound left then you should be good, and make sure that the thermal compound isn't smeared allowing any two pins to connect any way.
March 6, 2007 11:54:11 PM

Thanks, that's reassuring that I'm not the only clumsy dumb-arse on the face of this earth. I just didn't want to turn it on and have something bad happen to the entire set up. :oops: 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2007 12:16:30 AM

LOL Should have told the guy to put it in the dishwasher, set it to pots!
As long as its shiny and u can see no traces of the stuff u should be ok.
U can always just run it thru a rinse cycle to be safe :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 7, 2007 12:23:00 AM

LOL. Or simply told me my processor's hosed. That would have been a bit more believable anyway and would have made me quite pissed. :evil: 
March 7, 2007 1:07:50 AM

Don't forget to check your mobo cpu socket for compound that could possibly carry current across the pins and connectors. You could put the whole board in the dishwasher. Just make sure you use the "program" cycle :lol: 
March 7, 2007 1:43:23 PM

It's an LGA775 - e6700. I think I'm OK. Man that As5 is messy.
March 7, 2007 2:40:21 PM

If you don't see any compound on the chip or the socket you're fine.
March 7, 2007 7:04:36 PM

how could u do that? u put chip in mobo then put on the tc?

do u put the tc on before you install the chip in the mobo? how else could u get it on the wrong side.

u better clean it good!
March 7, 2007 7:30:33 PM

Is the compound metallic, silicon, or ceramic?
!