Win2003 Sound Drivers

Hi, I just installed W2003 server (MVP evaluation copy) on an older Compaq
which previously ran 2000 Advanced with no problem and it can't find the
sound card never mind any drivers for it. In fact the machine is busy right
now sending in the memory dump after I tried installing a 2000 driver for
what I think is the correct card, a Compaq but made by ESS I reckon.

Just on the offchance that another experimenter has come across this problem
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.

TIA for any hints, tips or info.

Charlie
2 answers Last reply
More about win2003 sound drivers

    "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in

    > Hi, I just installed W2003 server (MVP evaluation copy) on an older
    > Compaq which previously ran 2000 Advanced with no problem and it can't
    > find the sound card never mind any drivers for it. In fact the machine
    > is busy right now sending in the memory dump after I tried installing
    > a 2000 driver for what I think is the correct card, a Compaq but made
    > by ESS I reckon.
    >
    > Just on the offchance that another experimenter has come across this
    > problem I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.
    >
    > TIA for any hints, tips or info.
    >
    > Charlie

    Try Windows XP drivers. Many work with 2003.

    Leonard Severt
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.

    "Leonard Severt [MSFT]" <leons@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi, I just installed W2003 server (MVP evaluation copy) on an older
    >> Compaq which previously ran 2000 Advanced with no problem and it can't
    >> find the sound card never mind any drivers for it. In fact the machine
    >> is busy right now sending in the memory dump after I tried installing
    >> a 2000 driver for what I think is the correct card, a Compaq but made
    >> by ESS I reckon.
    >>
    >> Just on the offchance that another experimenter has come across this
    >> problem I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here.
    >>
    >> TIA for any hints, tips or info.
    >>
    >> Charlie
    >>

    > Try Windows XP drivers. Many work with 2003.

    Actually I did find a 2000 driver that worked but the biggest part of the
    problem was the failure to detect the hardware. In the end I "Uninstalled"
    it and started over and got a driver from the MS site. Not perfect but it
    works at least. With 2000 I can't recall any problem, oh well.

    Thanks anyway, I may dual boot with 2000 and see what happens.

    Charlie

Drivers Compaq Windows