Set up Disk Mirror in W2K Server

OurW2K server has 4 disks. They are all basic disk running RAID 0. I
intended to set up a disk mirror for fault tolerance [two of them are blank
and unuse]. However, there is no option to add mirror in Disk Management.

My question is do I need to upgrade to dynamic disk in order to create
mirror, or I have to use Array software to do it. If it is the case, then
will it destroy the existing data?

Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about disk mirror server

    Yes, you cannot implement any fault-tolerant disk configurations with basic
    disks. However, if I were you I would invest in a hardware RAID solution
    instead of a software one. Hardware RAID is much faster and is not dependant
    on the health of the OS to function. I would never use software RAID on a
    production server.

    Dan DeStefano

    "Vincent" <Vincent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OurW2K server has 4 disks. They are all basic disk running RAID 0. I
    > intended to set up a disk mirror for fault tolerance [two of them are
    blank
    > and unuse]. However, there is no option to add mirror in Disk Management.
    >
    > My question is do I need to upgrade to dynamic disk in order to create
    > mirror, or I have to use Array software to do it. If it is the case, then
    > will it destroy the existing data?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Vincent

    Disk management knows nothing about your hardware RAID controller, you must
    use your array software to reconfigure your current RAID 0 to RAID 1, or
    even better RAID 10. Most high end controllers can change the RAID type on
    the fly, as long as you have disks enough.

    Leave your disks as basic, the added complexity of dynamic disks usually
    does not add any needed functionality on a hardware RAID controller. This
    MS Knowledge Base article has more information:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329707

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "Vincent" <Vincent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >OurW2K server has 4 disks. They are all basic disk running RAID 0. I
    >intended to set up a disk mirror for fault tolerance [two of them are blank
    >and unuse]. However, there is no option to add mirror in Disk Management.
    >
    >My question is do I need to upgrade to dynamic disk in order to create
    >mirror, or I have to use Array software to do it. If it is the case, then
    >will it destroy the existing data?
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Thanks a lot all of you! :-)

    This one is a Dell server and very good. Whoever in the past didn't
    configure the RAID and left 2 blank disk unused. Now I take over this
    position and look to improve some of ours! :-)

    Best,

    Vincent

    "Bjorn Landemoo" wrote:

    > Vincent
    >
    > Disk management knows nothing about your hardware RAID controller, you must
    > use your array software to reconfigure your current RAID 0 to RAID 1, or
    > even better RAID 10. Most high end controllers can change the RAID type on
    > the fly, as long as you have disks enough.
    >
    > Leave your disks as basic, the added complexity of dynamic disks usually
    > does not add any needed functionality on a hardware RAID controller. This
    > MS Knowledge Base article has more information:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=329707
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Bjorn
    > --
    > Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
    >
    > "Vincent" <Vincent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >OurW2K server has 4 disks. They are all basic disk running RAID 0. I
    > >intended to set up a disk mirror for fault tolerance [two of them are blank
    > >and unuse]. However, there is no option to add mirror in Disk Management.
    > >
    > >My question is do I need to upgrade to dynamic disk in order to create
    > >mirror, or I have to use Array software to do it. If it is the case, then
    > >will it destroy the existing data?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance.

Mirror Servers Windows