storing avi files to play back on pda

June 3, 2005 2:30:30 AM

Hi

I would like to store avi files on a device so that I can transfer them to a
compact flah card and watch them on my Axim x50v...this would be my
preferred holiday activity!!

is this possible? does such a device exist?

thanks for looking

Laurence
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 2:39:43 PM

Laurence wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to store avi files on a device so that I can transfer
> them to a compact flah card and watch them on my Axim x50v...this
> would be my preferred holiday activity!!
>
> is this possible? does such a device exist?

Yes, it's called a laptop. But seriously, I'm not sure what you mean - you
sound like you want some sort of portable mass storage device to store your
movies on, so you can transfer them to CF for playback, but that makes no
sense. A 2GB CF card will hold 8-10 movies, how many do you want to store
exactly? Buy a big card or two and be done with it.

Tony
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 10:30:49 AM

Hi
thanks for the reply. It does look as though I will have to take a laptop
with me to store my films. How do you manage to get 4 films on a 1g card?
I'm using Pocket DVD Studio at max settings (VGA etc) to get the best
results out of my Axim x50v.
The trouble seems to be that all pda's are slave devices.
thanks

Laurence
"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
news:p rWne.5169$cN2.3272@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> Laurence wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I would like to store avi files on a device so that I can transfer
>> them to a compact flah card and watch them on my Axim x50v...this
>> would be my preferred holiday activity!!
>>
>> is this possible? does such a device exist?
>>
> Yes, it's called a laptop. But seriously, I'm not sure what you mean - you
> sound like you want some sort of portable mass storage device to store
> your movies on, so you can transfer them to CF for playback, but that
> makes no sense. A 2GB CF card will hold 8-10 movies, how many do you want
> to store exactly? Buy a big card or two and be done with it.
>
> Tony

June 4, 2005 1:35:40 PM

Should be easy, depending on the length of the film - I got a 1.25
hour film onto a 256 card in 160MB. Used approx 15fps (LCD is only
just responsive enough to display that frame rate) 320x240 with 24kbps
stereo sound. Some slight blocking in high motion scenes but nothing
too bad.

Compression can be either windows media video 9 (to play on the native
player) MPEG4 video to play in Betaplayer, or DivX if you're using an
AVI container. All should visually give comparable results (though
betaplayer has a built in graphic EQ ;-)

I don't understand your statement about "slave devices" but make sure
to transfer the files using a card reader rather than activesync - it
can break or fail to transfer large files and it's *very* slow.

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 06:30:49 GMT, "Laurence"
<ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi
>thanks for the reply. It does look as though I will have to take a laptop
>with me to store my films. How do you manage to get 4 films on a 1g card?
>I'm using Pocket DVD Studio at max settings (VGA etc) to get the best
>results out of my Axim x50v.
>The trouble seems to be that all pda's are slave devices.
>thanks
>
>Laurence
>"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
>news:p rWne.5169$cN2.3272@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
>> Laurence wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I would like to store avi files on a device so that I can transfer
>>> them to a compact flah card and watch them on my Axim x50v...this
>>> would be my preferred holiday activity!!
>>>
>>> is this possible? does such a device exist?
>>>
>> Yes, it's called a laptop. But seriously, I'm not sure what you mean - you
>> sound like you want some sort of portable mass storage device to store
>> your movies on, so you can transfer them to CF for playback, but that
>> makes no sense. A 2GB CF card will hold 8-10 movies, how many do you want
>> to store exactly? Buy a big card or two and be done with it.
>>
>> Tony

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 3:12:58 PM

Using VGA resolution and max settings, you won't get a movie that small, so
I guess it's down to what settings you can live with. I convert my DVDs with
DVDx at 320x240, 200-220kbps video bitrate, 80kbps audio, which typically
comes out at around 200-250MB for a movie, and the quality is as good as I
need on a PDA-size screen.

Yeah, a Pocket PC isn't really a substitute for a dedicated portable
hard-disk-based video player, they are intended as companion devices to a
full PC. However with larger capacity flash cards getting cheaper all the
time, they can be pretty useful in that role, but if you want 100's of hours
of video in a portable device, a dedicated player is the way to go.

Tony

Laurence wrote:
> Hi
> thanks for the reply. It does look as though I will have to take a
> laptop with me to store my films. How do you manage to get 4 films on
> a 1g card? I'm using Pocket DVD Studio at max settings (VGA etc) to
> get the best results out of my Axim x50v.
> The trouble seems to be that all pda's are slave devices.
> thanks
>
> Laurence
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 7:14:04 PM

as far as slave device goes, that was a description given in this ng some
time ago. You cant attach external hdd's or cdrom drives to a ppc like you
could a laptop/desktop.
"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Should be easy, depending on the length of the film - I got a 1.25
> hour film onto a 256 card in 160MB. Used approx 15fps (LCD is only
> just responsive enough to display that frame rate) 320x240 with 24kbps
> stereo sound. Some slight blocking in high motion scenes but nothing
> too bad.
>
> Compression can be either windows media video 9 (to play on the native
> player) MPEG4 video to play in Betaplayer, or DivX if you're using an
> AVI container. All should visually give comparable results (though
> betaplayer has a built in graphic EQ ;-)
>
> I don't understand your statement about "slave devices" but make sure
> to transfer the files using a card reader rather than activesync - it
> can break or fail to transfer large files and it's *very* slow.
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 06:30:49 GMT, "Laurence"
> <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>thanks for the reply. It does look as though I will have to take a laptop
>>with me to store my films. How do you manage to get 4 films on a 1g card?
>>I'm using Pocket DVD Studio at max settings (VGA etc) to get the best
>>results out of my Axim x50v.
>>The trouble seems to be that all pda's are slave devices.
>>thanks
>>
>>Laurence
>>"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
>>news:p rWne.5169$cN2.3272@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...

>>> Yes, it's called a laptop. But seriously, I'm not sure what you mean -
>>> you
>>> sound like you want some sort of portable mass storage device to store
>>> your movies on, so you can transfer them to CF for playback, but that
>>> makes no sense. A 2GB CF card will hold 8-10 movies, how many do you
>>> want
>>> to store exactly? Buy a big card or two and be done with it.
>>>
>>> Tony

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:56:56 AM

Reply to message from "Laurence" <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> (Sat, 04 Jun
2005 02:30:49) about "Re: storing avi files to play back on pda":

> The trouble seems to be that all pda's are slave devices. thanks

Check into an Asus wl-hdd wireless hard drive enclosure. With this jewel
you can access the drive from the ppc wirelessly, no laptop required. This
way you can dump to a memory card as desired in the field (or run videos
directly from the hard drive).
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:27:55 PM

this looks an amazing device. The point is I want to be able to sit by the
pool on holiday with only my pda and watch the movies. I would still want to
transfer movies from this devices hdd to the cf card. My question is..would
the files on the 2.5 inch hdd be viewable on my pda and enable transfer
either by usb to a card reader or directly to the cf card in the pda by
wireless?

thanks

Laurence
"xTenn" <XTenn_removethispart_@tds.net> wrote in message
> Reply to message from "Laurence" <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> (Sat, 04 Jun
> 2005 02:30:49) about "Re: storing avi files to play back on pda":
>
> > The trouble seems to be that all pda's are slave devices. thanks
>

> Check into an Asus wl-hdd wireless hard drive enclosure. With this jewel
> you can access the drive from the ppc wirelessly, no laptop required. This
> way you can dump to a memory card as desired in the field (or run videos
> directly from the hard drive).
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 12:57:21 PM

Reply to message from "Laurence" <ltrister@blueyonder.co.uk> (Sun, 05 Jun
2005 04:27:55) about "Re: storing avi files to play back on pda":

My question is..would the files on
> the 2.5 inch hdd be viewable on my pda and enable transfer either by usb
> to a card reader or directly to the cf card in the pda by wireless?

You could stream the files directly from the device to the ppc or copy
files wirelessly (802.11) directly to a storage card on the ppc as desired.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:27:52 PM

In article <0zjoe.45228$G8.35428@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Laurence wrote:
>as far as slave device goes, that was a description given in this ng some
>time ago. You cant attach external hdd's or cdrom drives to a ppc like you
>could a laptop/desktop.

Except if that PPC is a Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720. It has USB master, so
you can actually plug in USB keys, disks,... Guess what my first PPC
(after Palm IIIx and HandEra 330) will be :)

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"

In article <slrnda8hd0.kesuk.nobody@oxy.zag.si>, Jan Kalin wrote:
>In article <0zjoe.45228$G8.35428@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Laurence wrote:
>>as far as slave device goes, that was a description given in this ng some
>>time ago. You cant attach external hdd's or cdrom drives to a ppc like you
>>could a laptop/desktop.
>
>Except if that PPC is a Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720. It has USB master, so
>you can actually plug in USB keys, disks,... Guess what my first PPC
>(after Palm IIIx and HandEra 330) will be :)

Correction: According to http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm all VGA
Pocket PCs except iPAQ hx4700 and Dell Axim x50v have USB hosts, enabling
you to read data directly off a USB storage device.

--
!