peterpetter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
I recently bought a new Pleomax 80GB hard drive. It worked great out of the box for 2 days. Now though when I plug it into any of my PC's windows gives me a message to safely remove my hard drive. The hard drive does not show up in my computer or disk management. Any ideas would be helpful. I have tried reinstalling drivers and system restore. Nothing has worked.

peterpetter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2007
Also in the Safely Remove Hardware Window it shows USB Mass Storage Device and when I select the box display device componetns it will show USB Device listed below the USB Mass Storage Device. When I click on the properties for the USB Device and then on the volumes tab nothing shows up. Then on the volumes tab I click the populate button and nothing will happen. The values are as follows: Disk: Disk 2
Type: Unknown
Partition Style: Not Applicable
Capacity: 0

I'm thinking the hard drive is damaged, would there be any way to recover my files even though windows does not recognize it?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
if youve tried it in multiple pcs, and it says the same for all of them... then the hdd *could* be damaged... because without a compatible file system on the drive, windows wont be able to access whatever might be on it... its basically reading it as raw... ...you could try a data recovery program, and see if it can locate and recover data from the drive. heres a link to a few data recovery apps: http://www.r-tt.com/ ...theres probably plenty more around through googling too

i hope someone else has an easier answer though... in my experience, data recovery programs dont always work well

edit: is the post or bios setup correctly detecting it when its plugged in during start up?