Cannot Disable Write Cache on Hard Drives

Using a secondary IDE Controller for addnl data storage drives in a Win2k
system. Its a Silicon Image SIL0680 Controller. It is NOT being used in a
RAID config, just as an addnl IDE controller. I am repeatedly getting Windows
system msgs that data has been lost trying to write to the hard drives. The
event viewer shows repeated warnings that the Write Cache is enabled and data
corruption could occur. If I try to disable the Write Cache by unchecking it
under the Hardware Properties, it is automatically re-enabled on its own.
Does anyone know if this is something that I can address through Win2k or is
this a problem with the 0680 Controller Card? I have emailed their tech
support, but no reponse yet. Would appreciate any input. Thanks. C. Mueller
ChuckM@optonline.net
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot disable write cache hard drives

    Hello Chuck,

    First, let me provide the appropriate disclaimer:
    You should always contact the hardware manufacturer first before disabling
    write cache. In many cases, the errors you are experiencing are purely
    cosmetic.

    However, if you do decide to disable write cache and you are unable to do it
    through the Properties of the controller, (i.e. It automatically re-enables
    itself), it most cases it means there is some sort of software specifically
    for your controller installed on the operating system where you can set this
    option OR it is enabled in the BIOS (therefore must be disabled in the
    BIOS).

    It is also possible that the controller does not support disabling write
    cache.

    --
    Charity Downham

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.

    "Chuck Mueller" <ChuckMueller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Using a secondary IDE Controller for addnl data storage drives in a Win2k
    > system. Its a Silicon Image SIL0680 Controller. It is NOT being used in a
    > RAID config, just as an addnl IDE controller. I am repeatedly getting
    Windows
    > system msgs that data has been lost trying to write to the hard drives.
    The
    > event viewer shows repeated warnings that the Write Cache is enabled and
    data
    > corruption could occur. If I try to disable the Write Cache by unchecking
    it
    > under the Hardware Properties, it is automatically re-enabled on its own.
    > Does anyone know if this is something that I can address through Win2k or
    is
    > this a problem with the 0680 Controller Card? I have emailed their tech
    > support, but no reponse yet. Would appreciate any input. Thanks. C.
    Mueller
    > ChuckM@optonline.net

Controller Cache Hard Drives Windows