Upgrade of NT4 PDC to 2000 DC server slows network access

Upgraded NT4 PDC to W2000 server. ADS and DNS installed and working,
using mixed mode (no errors in any logs). Whenever this machine is on
the network, network access slows to a crawl. Any access of network
shares takes much longer than usual. This can't be by design. Checked
the KB and the suggestion is to turn on write caching on the drive which
is turned off during dcpromo. How would this affect the performance of
network shares on other servers (both NT4 and 2000). Is there any
solution. Network is basic - no multiple domains. Any insight much
appreciated.

Larry
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 2000 server slows network access

    "Slow" AD networks are usually because of DNS. What kind of clients do you
    have on the domain?

    For DNS troubleshooting,

    Basically your AD DNS server must point to itself in the properties of
    TCP/IP for DNS. All AD clients point to the AD DNS server ONLY. Do not give
    the AD clients your ISP's DNS servers.
    For Internet access set up the AD DNS server to forward requests and list
    your ISP's DNS server as the forwarder. This is the ONLY place on your
    network that your ISP's DNS server should be listed. Or you can use root
    hints for Internet resolution.

    See:
    Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "larry" <fraserlw@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Upgraded NT4 PDC to W2000 server. ADS and DNS installed and working,
    > using mixed mode (no errors in any logs). Whenever this machine is on the
    > network, network access slows to a crawl. Any access of network shares
    > takes much longer than usual. This can't be by design. Checked the KB
    > and the suggestion is to turn on write caching on the drive which is
    > turned off during dcpromo. How would this affect the performance of
    > network shares on other servers (both NT4 and 2000). Is there any
    > solution. Network is basic - no multiple domains. Any insight much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Larry

    Thanks for the quick reply. I think you're right. I'll run some tests
    and reply

    Danny Sanders wrote:

    > "Slow" AD networks are usually because of DNS. What kind of clients do you
    > have on the domain?
    >
    > For DNS troubleshooting,
    >
    > Basically your AD DNS server must point to itself in the properties of
    > TCP/IP for DNS. All AD clients point to the AD DNS server ONLY. Do not give
    > the AD clients your ISP's DNS servers.
    > For Internet access set up the AD DNS server to forward requests and list
    > your ISP's DNS server as the forwarder. This is the ONLY place on your
    > network that your ISP's DNS server should be listed. Or you can use root
    > hints for Internet resolution.
    >
    > See:
    > Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    > Server 2003
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
    >

    > Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    >

    > How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    >

    > hth
    >
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >

    > "larry" <fraserlw@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Upgraded NT4 PDC to W2000 server. ADS and DNS installed and working,
    >>using mixed mode (no errors in any logs). Whenever this machine is on the
    >>network, network access slows to a crawl. Any access of network shares
    >>takes much longer than usual. This can't be by design. Checked the KB
    >>and the suggestion is to turn on write caching on the drive which is
    >>turned off during dcpromo. How would this affect the performance of
    >>network shares on other servers (both NT4 and 2000). Is there any
    >>solution. Network is basic - no multiple domains. Any insight much
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Larry

    Cured. Thanks

    Danny Sanders wrote:
    > "Slow" AD networks are usually because of DNS. What kind of clients do you
    > have on the domain?
    >
    > For DNS troubleshooting,
    >
    > Basically your AD DNS server must point to itself in the properties of
    > TCP/IP for DNS. All AD clients point to the AD DNS server ONLY. Do not give
    > the AD clients your ISP's DNS servers.
    > For Internet access set up the AD DNS server to forward requests and list
    > your ISP's DNS server as the forwarder. This is the ONLY place on your
    > network that your ISP's DNS server should be listed. Or you can use root
    > hints for Internet resolution.
    >
    > See:
    > Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    > Server 2003
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
    >

    > Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    >

    > How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    >

    > hth
    >
    > DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
    >

    > "larry" <fraserlw@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Upgraded NT4 PDC to W2000 server. ADS and DNS installed and working,
    >>using mixed mode (no errors in any logs). Whenever this machine is on the
    >>network, network access slows to a crawl. Any access of network shares
    >>takes much longer than usual. This can't be by design. Checked the KB
    >>and the suggestion is to turn on write caching on the drive which is
    >>turned off during dcpromo. How would this affect the performance of
    >>network shares on other servers (both NT4 and 2000). Is there any
    >>solution. Network is basic - no multiple domains. Any insight much
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Larry

Network Access Servers Windows