I have several instances a week where Internet Explorer closes with a
message dialog telling me that there has been an error. This happens when
I click on a link in a web page and sometimes in an email. The error
details usually take the following form :-

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

The fault address varies each time.

Can anyone suggest help - I am running XP Pro with SP2 installed.

Thanks
Ron Etherington.

Hi Ron,

Usually this is caused by third party add-ons or plug-ins (BHO's). As you
have SP2 installed, go to the control panel/internet options, on the
programs tab click the button to manage add-ons, then start selectively
disabling them until the browser acts properly.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ron Etherington" <ronetherington@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>I have several instances a week where Internet Explorer closes with a
>message dialog telling me that there has been an error. This happens when
>I click on a link in a web page and sometimes in an email. The error
>details usually take the following form :-
>
> Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
> unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.
>
> The fault address varies each time.
>
> Can anyone suggest help - I am running XP Pro with SP2 installed.
>
> Thanks
> Ron Etherington.

"Ron Etherington" <ronetherington@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>I have several instances a week where Internet Explorer closes with a
>message dialog telling me that there has been an error. This happens when
>I click on a link in a web page and sometimes in an email. The error
>details usually take the following form :-
>
>Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module
>unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

Help with the IE is available here:
However, I would scan the system for viruses and other malware at
first. Use a virus scanner and
Ad-aware (http://www.lavasoft.com)
Hijack This! (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html)
Also check if software that is running at the same time interferes
with the IE. This could be some IE add-ins but also other programs.
See "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353)
for further details.

--
(tm)

Griffin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2004

IMHO, i would be Not using IE as a browser.
there are many others out there that dont inherit the
attack rate that IE does.
try Mozilla. (or Opera or...................... etc etc)
watch your crash-rate drop considerably.

griff

Nice advice, but the OP is using IE and wants help with it.