The Best Air Cooling Solution

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Looks the the more than famous Tuniq Tower 120 has bowed downed to a new champion in air cooling superiority.

The Thermalright 120 Plus with a X6800 clocked at 3.90Ghz mainted an idle temperature of 35C and a load temp of 45, besting the Tuniq Tower by 6 and 7 degrees respectively. While the Thermalright 120 Plus maybe the more expensive it is the best air cooling solution out there right now. You could also opt for the Thermalright 120 if you don't prefer the look of the tuniq which gives identical performance to the Tuniq Tower for the same price.

Simple amazing in terms of air cooling, not sure they could advance much more in the way of dissipating heat without using TEC's or Water.

Check out the amazing results HERE!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Looks the the more than famous Tuniq Tower 120 has bowed downed to a new champion in air cooling superiority.

The Thermalright 120 Plus with a X6800 clocked at 3.90Ghz mainted an idle temperature of 35C and a load temp of 45, besting the Tuniq Tower by 6 and 7 degrees respectively. While the Thermalright 120 Plus maybe the more expensive it is the best air cooling solution out there right now. You could also opt for the Thermalright 120 if you don't prefer the look of the tuniq which gives identical performance to the Tuniq Tower for the same price.

Simple amazing in terms of air cooling, not sure they could advance much more in the way of dissipating heat without using TEC's or Water.

Check out the amazing results HERE!
Everytime we think that they can't possibly get better cooling with air, they manage to do it. Unfortunately, the main way for them to accomplish this is by sheer size....more heatpipes, more fins, more fans, bigger/faster fans. Eventually ,they may be able to get to within a few degrees of ambient, but it's going to be an utter beast (size-wise)...and price-wise. I have a lot of faith in Thermalright though, as they are my HS/F company of choice for the last 5 or more years. Great product, and good to see them take the crown back. :D

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Yes unfortunately as the title of the article says, "Thermalright Ultra 120 Plus: Is More Better?" with 6 heatpipes on the Plus and only 4 on the regular version, more is obviously better. And as we already see that the size of these cpu coolers run into compatibility issues with cases and motherboards more of this may be to come. Hopefuly new and more colorful innovations will come to the air cooling market rather than the "lets stuff as many heatpipes and make it as big as possible" idea. Already the 120+ is at a robust 2 pounds in weight. Quite a bit if you ask me holding on to some other weak structure on the motherboard.

rethdog

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
unrelated but,

anybody used alcohol in water cooling setup - does it lower temps? I'm guessing any 'O' rings have to be compatiable and you have to pump it faster? anybody tried this?

Okay complete noob question, Can you have Speed Step running if you over clock a Core 2 Duo?

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
This Ultra 120 goes for $48.99 on newegg. Remember this does not include a fan which can cost you about $5 to $15 for the one used in Anandtech's review. The Ultra 120+ will probably retail between $60-70

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
8O ................. Wow, that's just insane. I guess it's a good thing I decided to use the stock Intel cooler for now and not get something else! Also, just think what this would do with a much better fan (like a 220cfm Delta :lol: ).