Core 2 Duo 6300 vs. Athlon 64 X2 4600+

villeP

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
Hi. I'm planning to upgrade my gaming computer. I have R 800 XL (AGP), so I'm gonna choose between ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA and ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA for the new motherboard (now I have a crappy sempron 2800 runing on an old socket A mobo). My question remains, which CPU should I get: Core 2 Duo 6300 or Athlon 64 X2 4600+. I have'nt seen any good reviews concerning the Intel CPU and because the processors cost basicly the same (the C2D being a bit cheaper) I would be very pleased, if someone would give his/her opinion on which CPU to get. TY for all answers...

deceneu

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Hi. I'm planning to upgrade my gaming computer. I have R 800 XL (AGP), so I'm gonna choose between ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA and ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA for the new motherboard (now I have a crappy sempron 2800 runing on an old socket A mobo). My question remains, which CPU should I get: Core 2 Duo 6300 or Athlon 64 X2 4600+. I have'nt seen any good reviews concerning the Intel CPU and because the processors cost basicly the same (the C2D being a bit cheaper) I would be very pleased, if someone would give his/her opinion on which CPU to get. TY for all answers...

you havent seen what? good rewiews about the intel chip? oh my god!!!! :lol:
I would recomand the core2duo 4300, is even cheaper than the 6300 and is a great ocer, and yes, just like jack said it, those cpus from intel will outperform the Fx 62 from amd.

good luck!

Dakre14

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
i think you can't compare an overclocked CPU from intel with a stock CPU of AMD... can you? ;) if you OC the AMD, too, it is a different picture... even though the C2D runs cooler and therefore can be overclocked more than an AMD... but i doubt that an OCed C2D E6300 outperforms an OCed AMD Fx 62!

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i think you can't compare an overclocked CPU from intel with a stock CPU of AMD... can you? ;) if you OC the AMD, too, it is a different picture... even though the C2D runs cooler and therefore can be overclocked more than an AMD... but i doubt that an OCed C2D E6300 outperforms an OCed AMD Fx 62!

True.....buuuutttt....whats the price difference :p :p :p

Dakre14

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007

Yes a nicely overclocked E6300 can outperform an FX-62. :roll:

yes, and a nicely OCed AMD 5000+ outperforms a C2D E6300... :roll:

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

I would recomand the core2duo 4300, is even cheaper than the 6300 and is a great ocer, and yes, just like jack said it, those cpus from intel will outperform the Fx 62 from amd.

good luck!
That's what I was thinking!!! No good reviews?!? What? Do you live in a cave? Choosing the C2D over the X2 is so simple... even a caveman could do it!

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
you would have to got a A64X2 6000 to get anywhere nere the power qachievable by the the god that is core 2 duo, the only set of chips better is the woodcrests and they are tightly related

you would have to be a grade A moron to by AMD right now

KrazyKat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
E4300 is cheaper and about the same as E6300

Core2 is a more efficient CPU with 64-bit support that's said to provide up to 50% more processing power than the older Core Duo.

I think by now U know the core 2 duo is the way to go :wink: .

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
Although as it's been said the e6300 has potential to be faster than anything AMD offers, you couldn't do it on the 775Dual-VSTA. If there's no special reason you need that board (AGP graphics card), and you want to overclock, you should get a better OC board like the Gigabyte 965P DS3.

If you do need the 775Dual-VSTA and are willing to overclock, you should get the e4300 not the e6300. The e4300's stock 200 FSB lets it be overclocked a lot further on the 775Dual-VSTA, which stops working at somewhere just over 300FSB I think. You don't need anything faster than DDR2 667 for this.

If you're not willing to overclock, though, go for the e6300 or an AMD system that has whatever you need. I've seen the X2s 3600+ Brisbane and 3800+ Windsor ridiculously cheap recently. If you're going low end, AMD has some good stuff.

EDIT: wow I cant read. AGP graphics card. Okay then, so yeah unless there's an AM2 board that offers PCI-e and AGP, you should go for the e4300 if you'll overclock or the e6300 if you won't.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
you would have to got a A64X2 6000 to get anywhere nere the power qachievable by the the god that is core 2 duo, the only set of chips better is the woodcrests and they are tightly related

Just because Intel is better does not mean AMD does not have its place. AMD's make great budget builds and have a really good upgrade path since you will be able to just drop one of the desktop versions of barcelona right in and good to go. It all comes down to what a person can afford. If you can afford it, go with core 2, if not then you get the best AMD setup you can and sit and wait for the barcelona DT versions to appear.

Why would someone want to be able to upgrade to a Barcelona in 2008 vs a Quad C2D at anytime from now until you decide?

Do you have prices on the Barcelona or Benchmarks for it? Do you know what Intel will have to plug into a 965 chipset come when Barcelona gets released?

flooder

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I used both AMD and Intel in my house. AMD is excellent if you are low on the budget. It provides great speed for the money. However, if you got a BIG income tax refund as I did...I would jump to the Intel Core 2 Duo. It is worthy for the high-resolution game and editing high ends video. 8)

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
I might get flamed for this, but here goes. This is taken from what BM typed in a diff thread although not word for word. "For everyday tasks you can not really tell the difference between one or the other, Unless you use a benchmarking tool." And he does have a point. :wink:

vassalle

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007

This always bugs me actually, cant seem to find a review that compares an oc'ed e6300 vs an oc'd K8.. was reading somewhere in this forumz that clock-to-clock, C2D will perform 10 - 15% better to K8. If that'd be the case, does that mean that my 3.2ghz e6300 performs better than a OC'ed to 3.2ghz k8 (FX62 or 6000+ or whatever it is)? It 'should' be cooler as my e63 is still running at stock voltage.

Periander

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Clock for clock the C2D will outperform the K8 by 15-20% (more like 25-30% for gaming). Few K8s can reach 3ghz or above, C2Ds can generally reach much higher and are usually limited by cooling and/or FSB limitations depending on your multiplier. Although the 6300 is somewhat restricted by its 7x multiplier, with good memory/mb it can generally be overclocked beyond 3ghz and thus performing well beyond anything generally obtainable by the K8s.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

good luck!
That's what I was thinking!!! No good reviews?!? What? Do you live in a cave? Choosing the C2D over the X2 is so simple... even a caveman could do it!

It is hard to believe...

Seriously, they are so easy to find, a caveman could do it. :wink:

sailer

Splendid
I might get flamed for this, but here goes. This is taken from what BM typed in a diff thread although not word for word. "For everyday tasks you can not really tell the difference between one or the other, Unless you use a benchmarking tool." And he does have a point. :wink:

Oh this hurts, but for everyday tasks, the Baron is right. My gaming machine is down while the video card is off for an RMA, so I'm presently using my old AMD 2700+ machine and for simple things, its just as fast as my FX60. Of course, its not up to task for modern games, but when it comes to using the net, word processing and the like, it does just fine.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
First, every amd fanatic or amti-ite is going to give you a bias opinion - the vetter dude is hard core amd.

Just look at the cpu section, one amd thread after anther - there can be only 1 --- only 1 .... #1 and its starts with 775!

An e 6300 may reach speeds no amd chip could dream of unless you spend ungodly sums of money. o ya they cut the prices again! well what can say they be free next month if you chart the chip prices!

facts: you can take any e6300 with a stock Intel cooler and hit 2.7-2.8ghz and it will beat the $500 6000+ overclocked to 3.2ghz and melting the mobo! ok it might win every test but who cares you have hundreds of dollars in your pocket and you don't have mess with any heat sink the size of a small car engine to cool it!

hehe IFB (amti is always #2 - accept the 690 chipset!)

cometh R600 o god of the good looking dx10! where is my new crossfire chips set - i hate nvidia!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
before dell before gateway even made one overclocked pc - i was selling only overclocked pc's

i may be a tiny builder - today these losers only over clock there high end over priced machines.

if you not overclocking u should not be buying a 6300 buy a 6700 or wait for a $500 q6600

"grade A moron to by AMD right now" ,<<<<---- this is wrong!

Amd makes good chips and if you buy amd you get a good product - amd has some chips that are priced good like? well let me think on this.....

well your not a moron!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
before dell before gateway even made one overclocked pc - i was selling only overclocked pc's

i may be a tiny builder - today these losers only over clock there high end over priced machines.

if you not overclocking u should not be buying a 6300 buy a 6700 or wait for a $500 q6600

Amd makes good chips and if you buy amd you get a good product - amd has some chips that are priced good like? well let me think on this.....

well your not a moron!

I can't tell if you sincerly hate AMD or are just messing with people, either way your still a moron, but i am curious, as your oppinion seems to flip-flop more than your tiny dick in the middle of a group of strippers.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

well your not a moron!

BS

I just hate anyone who only consider OCed results.
More than 90% of computer users do not overclock nor want overclock.