Sign in with
Your question

So what life expectancy can I expect?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 7, 2007 5:32:43 AM

So what life expectancy can I expect? A newbie overclocking afterthought.

I’m running my C2D E6400 at 3.28 gig stable and getting great temps. Loaded it barely breaks 40c. I’ve seen a lot of people mention chip life in Ocing forums and was wondering if a machine is stable is it fine to run it at whatever speed you like for as long as you like or does Ocing in general just bring down your chips life expectancy?
Do most of you 'overclock' and leave it at the highest stable setting you can get or do you hit your limit, record the data and back down to a more chip friendly speed for everyday usage and gaming?
How much life can I expect to get out of an Oc’d chip, it there a rule of thumb????
Cheers,
Panface.

More about : life expectancy expect

March 7, 2007 6:20:53 AM

So it makes no odds how high i overclock (even 3.5) as long as it's stable it should last 5 years minimum running many hours a day, yes?

Well that's reasuring. Thanks for the comment mpilchfamily.
March 7, 2007 6:33:36 AM

Yeah you know that.
I'll be gutted if i'm still running this system in 5 years.
Lol.
Related resources
March 7, 2007 6:39:56 AM

But even exploiting the Vcore and temps will give me years of run time, right?

All that aside is it still a sensible idea to OC to the max and leave it there or should you back it down a bit again just for peace of mind?
How do you view it, if "it's stable go for it" or do you air on the side of caution?
March 7, 2007 7:18:34 AM

What will it do to the life expectancy of the motherboard, Asus P5B Deluxe or Gigabyte DS3? Is there a prefered way to overclock so as to maintain the lowest possible heat and damage?
March 7, 2007 7:23:14 PM

Quote:
Higher Vcore and higher temps are what really wear out the CPU.

Exactly. I am running an E6300 at 3GHz at stock voltage and lower-than-stock HSF cooling (Cooler master hyper T). There should be no reduction in CPU life.
March 7, 2007 7:27:08 PM

Quote:
What will it do to the life expectancy of the motherboard, Asus P5B Deluxe or Gigabyte DS3? Is there a prefered way to overclock so as to maintain the lowest possible heat and damage?

That remains to be seen. Most of my motherboards have died within 3-4 years anyway... without overclocking. On the DS3, the Northbridge appears to be the most at-risk chip on the MB. At 430FSB, that thing gets HOT. I'm working on better Northbridge cooling.
March 8, 2007 10:16:45 AM

will i damage my motherboard if i overclock?
!