Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Log on

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:22:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my desktop at
home.
now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?

More about : log

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:34:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"jeff lane" <jeff@kaapstaad.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ctfk7u$ehd$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my desktop
at
> home.
> now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
> Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
>

Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:48:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

I tried that and it asked me to set up a password. Did that and now it
doesn't recognise the password I have set up.
I can still get in as an administrator.
originally, before the modem/router set up, it would log on with all the
boxes greyed out, and no password was required. That is where I want to get
back to.

> > I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my desktop
> at
> > home.
> > now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
> > Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
> >
>
> Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:10:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

There is a tick box in Control Panel / Users and Passwords. It is
labelled "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". If you untick this box the you will be prompted for
an account to be used at Windows logon time, and a password
to go with it.

If you can no longer log on with your normal account / password
then you have a password discrepancy. Windows does not make
spelling errors but humans do.

You write ". . . would log on with all the boxes greyed out" but
you do not say where exactly you are and which boxes are
greyed out. Are you talking about the Windows 2000 logon
screen? Or about your ADSL router logon screen? Some
wireless password? You need to be precise - we cannot see
what you're doing!


"jeff lane" <jeff@kaapstaad.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ctih62$7tn$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I tried that and it asked me to set up a password. Did that and now it
> doesn't recognise the password I have set up.
> I can still get in as an administrator.
> originally, before the modem/router set up, it would log on with all the
> boxes greyed out, and no password was required. That is where I want to
get
> back to.
>
> > > I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my
desktop
> > at
> > > home.
> > > now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
> > > Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
> > >
> >
> > Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:10:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

this is the win2k logon.
Prior to connecting the modem etc, the logon box would come on with
everything greyed out, I could see a anem there but no innfo on the password
line, and the pc would steadily boot itself up without human intervention.
now the win 2k logon box comes uop and requires a password befoore it
continues with the boot.


"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o DtzpSsBFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> There is a tick box in Control Panel / Users and Passwords. It is
> labelled "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer". If you untick this box the you will be prompted for
> an account to be used at Windows logon time, and a password
> to go with it.
>
> If you can no longer log on with your normal account / password
> then you have a password discrepancy. Windows does not make
> spelling errors but humans do.
>
> You write ". . . would log on with all the boxes greyed out" but
> you do not say where exactly you are and which boxes are
> greyed out. Are you talking about the Windows 2000 logon
> screen? Or about your ADSL router logon screen? Some
> wireless password? You need to be precise - we cannot see
> what you're doing!
>
>
> "jeff lane" <jeff@kaapstaad.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:ctih62$7tn$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > I tried that and it asked me to set up a password. Did that and now it
> > doesn't recognise the password I have set up.
> > I can still get in as an administrator.
> > originally, before the modem/router set up, it would log on with all the
> > boxes greyed out, and no password was required. That is where I want to
> get
> > back to.
> >
> > > > I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my
> desktop
> > > at
> > > > home.
> > > > now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
> > > > Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
> > > >
> > >
> > > Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:10:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You can run regedit.exe and navigate to;
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
edit the Reg_Sz string values
"DefaultUserName"
and
"DefaultPassword"
to reflect the correct username and password. (note: the password for an
autologon account can not be blank)

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"jeff lane" wrote:
| this is the win2k logon.
| Prior to connecting the modem etc, the logon box would come on with
| everything greyed out, I could see a anem there but no innfo on the
password
| line, and the pc would steadily boot itself up without human intervention.
| now the win 2k logon box comes uop and requires a password befoore it
| continues with the boot.
!