Log on

I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my desktop at
home.
now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    "jeff lane" <jeff@kaapstaad.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my desktop
    at
    > home.
    > now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
    > Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?

    Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.

    I tried that and it asked me to set up a password. Did that and now it
    doesn't recognise the password I have set up.
    I can still get in as an administrator.
    originally, before the modem/router set up, it would log on with all the
    boxes greyed out, and no password was required. That is where I want to get
    back to.

    > > I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my desktop
    > at
    > > home.
    > > now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
    > > Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
    > >

    > Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.

    There is a tick box in Control Panel / Users and Passwords. It is
    labelled "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer". If you untick this box the you will be prompted for
    an account to be used at Windows logon time, and a password
    to go with it.

    If you can no longer log on with your normal account / password
    then you have a password discrepancy. Windows does not make
    spelling errors but humans do.

    You write ". . . would log on with all the boxes greyed out" but
    you do not say where exactly you are and which boxes are
    greyed out. Are you talking about the Windows 2000 logon
    screen? Or about your ADSL router logon screen? Some
    wireless password? You need to be precise - we cannot see
    what you're doing!

    > I tried that and it asked me to set up a password. Did that and now it
    > doesn't recognise the password I have set up.
    > I can still get in as an administrator.
    > originally, before the modem/router set up, it would log on with all the
    > boxes greyed out, and no password was required. That is where I want to
    get
    > back to.
    >
    > > > I have just installed a wireless router with an adsl modem on my
    desktop
    > > at
    > > > home.
    > > > now when I turn it on it win2k asks me for a password.
    > > > Is there a simple way to get rid of the password request?
    > > >

    > > Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.

    this is the win2k logon.
    Prior to connecting the modem etc, the logon box would come on with
    everything greyed out, I could see a anem there but no innfo on the password
    line, and the pc would steadily boot itself up without human intervention.
    now the win 2k logon box comes uop and requires a password befoore it
    continues with the boot.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > There is a tick box in Control Panel / Users and Passwords. It is
    > labelled "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    > computer". If you untick this box the you will be prompted for
    > an account to be used at Windows logon time, and a password
    > to go with it.
    >
    > If you can no longer log on with your normal account / password
    > then you have a password discrepancy. Windows does not make
    > spelling errors but humans do.
    >
    > You write ". . . would log on with all the boxes greyed out" but
    > you do not say where exactly you are and which boxes are
    > greyed out. Are you talking about the Windows 2000 logon
    > screen? Or about your ADSL router logon screen? Some
    > wireless password? You need to be precise - we cannot see
    > what you're doing!
    >

    > "jeff lane" <jeff@kaapstaad.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > I tried that and it asked me to set up a password. Did that and now it
    > > doesn't recognise the password I have set up.
    > > I can still get in as an administrator.
    > > originally, before the modem/router set up, it would log on with all the
    > > boxes greyed out, and no password was required. That is where I want to
    > get
    > > back to.

    > desktop
    > > > at
    > > > >

    > > > Try Control Panel / Users / Users must enter a password.

    You can run regedit.exe and navigate to;
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    edit the Reg_Sz string values
    "DefaultUserName"
    and
    "DefaultPassword"
    to reflect the correct username and password. (note: the password for an
    autologon account can not be blank)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "jeff lane" wrote:
    | this is the win2k logon.
    | Prior to connecting the modem etc, the logon box would come on with
    | everything greyed out, I could see a anem there but no innfo on the
    password
    | line, and the pc would steadily boot itself up without human intervention.
    | now the win 2k logon box comes uop and requires a password befoore it
    | continues with the boot.

Wireless Router Microsoft Windows