Netgear FVS318v3 throughput issues

jrowling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
I recently installed a Netgear FVS318v3 router (with the latest firmware) and I seem to be having some considerable throughput issues with it. I have a 6mbs down/2mbs up cable connection to the WAN port of the router and repeated speed tests give me an average down speed of 1.2-1.5mbs? I did these tests with a PC connected directly to a LAN port on the router to avoid any possible bottlenecks in the network. However, when I connect a PC directly to the cable modem I get average speeds of 5.3-5.5 mbs down. Anyone have any ideas here?

Configuration is like this:

[code:1:c0060f1549][Cable Modem]
|
[FVS318v3 Firewall/Router]
|
[10/100 16 Port Switch]-[10/100 16 Port Switch]-[10/100 16 Port Switch]
| | |
[LAN] [LAN] [LAN][/code:1:c0060f1549]

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The 318 does not have great speeds but be should better than that. For a bussiness you should have moved at least up to the FVS338. If not one of the gigabit models.

Also connect all of your switches directly to the modem. Don't daisy chain the switches unless you have to.

Make sure you are not using keyword filtering. Routers should not be used as proxys.

Are you doing any port forwarding or VPN pass-through?

jrowling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
The router is using NAT, I have to daisy chain the switches because if plug them directly into the router nothing will go through.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I have to daisy chain the switches because if plug them directly into the router nothing will go through.
Are you saying you are leaving 7 of the 8 ports on the router unused, and daisy-chaining all your switches off of one port? And that if you connect each switch to its own separate port on the router, nothing works?

That makes no sense to me, unless your router has only one good port.

jrowling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Are you saying you are leaving 7 of the 8 ports on the router unused, and daisy-chaining all your switches off of one port? And that if you connect each switch to its own separate port on the router

Yes, that is what i'm saying. However, when i connect each switch to its own separate port on the router, all of the activity lights for each port on the switches blink rapidly and the network becomes unusable.

jrowling

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
i don't see why that would be a problem if the cable length works from switch to switch but not from the switch to a router?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Most netgear hardware I've dealt with was design go long distance +. If you have one just connect a 12-15 to see what happens. I have seen signals be over powered. I had the problem on my Netgear router.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
i don't see why that would be a problem if the cable length works from switch to switch but not from the switch to a router?
All Ethernet networks that run Collision Detect (CD) have a minimum cable length to function properly because of reflections.

The minimum length defined for 100BaseT Ethernet networks is rarely an issue, since it is not the length of an individual wire that must meet the specification, but the length between nodes.

However, if overdriving is a problem, a longer cable might help.

Something is seriously amiss with your network. My guess is your router is screwed up. Logically, there is no difference between plugging your second switch into one of the 8 ports on the router vs plugging it into one of the ports on your first switch. The former is much preferred, since you want to minimize the daisy-chaining of switches to maximize network performance in general.

You need to be looking at why the other 7 ports on your router (or perhaps the internal Ethernet switch on your router) are not functioning correctly.