write access denied on directories after rebuild

lobo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001

i have rebuilt my win2k system.

in all partitions except the system partition,
that is, those partitions not changed by the rebuild,
most directories are no longer writeable and apparently all directories will
not allow to change the security settings.

this is true when i am logged on as Administrator.

on looking at the security settings of any of these directories with Windows
Explorer,
they sometimes have permissions for Everyone,
then usually a bunch of sids, such as S-1-5-21-1482476501-85245398-725345.

i have xcacls, but it fails everywhere with an access denied error.

how do i get privilege to restore permissions to a sane state?

i do not want to have to rebuild these partitions.

Delete the sids that just show up as numbers , they are old sids from your
This should return access back to current admin account.

@riel

"lobo" <lobo@bitbucket.nul> skrev i melding
> i have rebuilt my win2k system.
>
> in all partitions except the system partition,
> that is, those partitions not changed by the rebuild,
> most directories are no longer writeable and apparently all directories
will
> not allow to change the security settings.
>
> this is true when i am logged on as Administrator.
>
> on looking at the security settings of any of these directories with
Windows
> Explorer,
> they sometimes have permissions for Everyone,
> then usually a bunch of sids, such as S-1-5-21-1482476501-85245398-725345.
>

> i have xcacls, but it fails everywhere with an access denied error.
>
> how do i get privilege to restore permissions to a sane state?
>
> i do not want to have to rebuild these partitions.

lobo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001

yes, sir, i know the sids are from the previous installs.

the problem is, i can not get write access to the acls to change the
permissions.
thus, i can not delete the sids.

and, in any case, there would also have to be an acl entry granting
permission with respect to the logged-on user, would there not?

as i said previously, the acls are untouchable with either Windows Explorer
or xcacls.
this is true on all directories on all partitions except the system
partition.

i have now discovered some files and directories to which i, as
Administrator no longer have either read or write access.

this means this rebuild has made all my partitions other than my system
partition for the most part unusable.

1) is it possible to create a user account for some of these inherited sids?
if so how?

2) is there any way to obtain in Windows 2000 what under Unix is superuser
privilege?

i need some way to get write access to these acls.

how can Microsoft have created such a hellish mess?

"Ariel Morg" <ariel@newsgroups.com> wrote in message
> Delete the sids that just show up as numbers , they are old sids from your
> This should return access back to current admin account.
>
> @riel
>
> "lobo" <lobo@bitbucket.nul> skrev i melding
> > i have rebuilt my win2k system.
> >
> > in all partitions except the system partition,
> > that is, those partitions not changed by the rebuild,
> > most directories are no longer writeable and apparently all directories
> will
> > not allow to change the security settings.
> >
> > this is true when i am logged on as Administrator.
> >
> > on looking at the security settings of any of these directories with
> Windows
> > Explorer,
> > they sometimes have permissions for Everyone,
> > then usually a bunch of sids, such as
S-1-5-21-1482476501-85245398-725345.

> > i have xcacls, but it fails everywhere with an access denied error.
> >
> > how do i get privilege to restore permissions to a sane state?
> >
> > i do not want to have to rebuild these partitions.

You need to take ownership of the files this will rewrite ths SIDS giving
you permission.

lobo wrote:
> i have rebuilt my win2k system.
>
> in all partitions except the system partition,
> that is, those partitions not changed by the rebuild,
> most directories are no longer writeable and apparently all
> directories will not allow to change the security settings.
>
> this is true when i am logged on as Administrator.
>
> on looking at the security settings of any of these directories with
> Windows Explorer,
> they sometimes have permissions for Everyone,
> then usually a bunch of sids, such as
> S-1-5-21-1482476501-85245398-725345.
>

> i have xcacls, but it fails everywhere with an access denied error.
>
> how do i get privilege to restore permissions to a sane state?
>
> i do not want to have to rebuild these partitions.

You probably don't have to. Did you try taking ownership? See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Before you rebuild your PC in the future, make sure you do a backup of all
your data, just in case. In fact, you ought to be doing regular backups
anyway.