IIS FTP through port forwarding, passive mode problem

AndyCrowe

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Hi guys,

I'm trying to run an IIS FTP site through a port forwarding router (BEFSR41). All ports are forwarded to my server at 192.168.0.10 but passive mode doesn't work.

IIS seems to be sending an incorrect IP for passive mode (it's using the local IP rather then the internet ip)

227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,10,18,106).

I can't run active ftp as the machine I'm FTPing from is also behind a router

Is there any way to configure IIS to get round this?

AndyCrowe

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Nope I'm testing from a remote PC using the internet IP for my router.

I can make an ftp connection to port 21 fine, it just fails when setting up the data connection

The FTP test returned

* About to connect() to x.x.x.x port 21
* Trying x.x.x.x ... connected
* Connected to x.x.x.x (x.x.x.x ) port 21
< 220 Microsoft FTP Service

> USER guest
< 331 Password required for guest.

> PASS *****
< 230 User guest logged in.

> PWD
< 257 "/guest" is current directory.
* Entry path is '/guest'

> CLNT Testing from http://www.g6ftpserver.com/ftptest from IP 217.154.32.194
< 500 'CLNT Testing from http://www.g6ftpserver.com/ftptest from IP 217.154.32.194': command not understood
* QUOT command failed with 500
* Connection #0 to host x.x.x.x left intact

* Closing connection #0

which doesn't look particularly helpful

AndyCrowe

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
All ports are being forwarded (1 to 65535)

One thing I noticed is the ftp program is sending "227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,10,18,106)". which is the LAN address rather then the external address.

Do FTP clients use this IP or will they go with the original host name given?

G

Can't answer your question. I've never setup a FTP server using IIS.

Grumpy

mozkill

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
when you run your FTP server in passive mode, the server needs to send the client a response with the external IP address i think. If the FTP server sends the internal IP as the response then things wont work. this is usually configurable on the server. if you can't figure it out with IIS, then I dont blame you. Try using FileZilla FTP Server because its easier to understand I think and that configuration parameter is easy to find.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Setting up FTP servers can be a royal pain. I have setup several FTP server, both NAS boxes. One worked with out a hitch, the other was browser sensitive. I had one that only worked with IE passing the user & pw on the address bar. The problem accours when there are firewalls on both ends.

Here is a link that will help explain how the hand shaking works.

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Good luck.

jacky2000

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
The cost of running your own FTP server is very high: you need an always-on FTP server computer, then you need to install FTP server software. For this to be reliable, you need to take care of the security, which means you need to configure access permissions carefully and install OS patches periodically. Moreover, you need to backup the server and make sure you have redundant hardware. Then you need to have a good and reliable Internet connection.

The cost can be thousands of dollars, not including your time and efforts!

Now it can be much easier, and you can save a lot of cost on server hardware, software and bandwidth. DriveHQ.com is the first Cloud IT Solution provider, it is also one of the largest FTP hosting service providers. Our FTP server is more secure and reliable than your own FTP server, and we have virtually unlimited network bandwidth. The cost is dramatically lower, and with our web-based user administration tool, you don't need IT background to use our service. Our basic service is free, and premium service starts at only $1.99/month.

Jacky
www.DriveHQ.com