Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking an E6600 to 3,6 GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
March 7, 2007 9:40:51 AM

Greetings to all,my first post here and I have to say it looks like a really helpful forum :) 

Now to the questions at hand:
I'm going to buy an E6600 and plan on clocking it to 3.6 ghz
Here's the build:

C2D E6600 with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 2.1V RAM
OCZ GAME XSTREAM 600W PSU

Now from what I read (and mainly from the overclocking guide) these RAM along with this Gigabyte mobo should be able to do 3,6 GHZ (although there is always the variable of getting lucky with the item you get)

But still I have some questions about the process and about the safety of doing this

1)How is the RAM frequency calculated? I know its a multiplier x fsb but don't know what value the multiplier is :p  So when we say 800 Mhz = Mult x FSB?

2)Since I want 3,6 Ghz on a E6600 I should set the FSB @ 400 Mhz. How should i set the RAM so they still normally run at their native frequency which is 800 Mhz?

3)In which order should all these be done? I guess bumping the FSB to 400 Mhz at once would not be so wise/safe so what kind of FSB jumps do you propose until i reach the desired 400 Mhz?

4)About voltages,normally you first OC and if your system is not stable you increase them (mainly the vCore and sometimes the ram too).In my case,since I am talking about a huge OC should I increase the vCore to start with?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions at once,but I've never dealt with overclocking before,although I do tend to do my homework first,I found no clear answers for these
Thanks in advance :) 

More about : overclocking e6600 ghz

March 7, 2007 1:51:31 PM

1) on that board, you can set the memory multiplier to 2.00 and that will cause it to run at 2x FSB speed. the multiplier will allow settings such as "Auto" 1.00, 2.00, 2.50... etc...

2) as per above statement set your ram to a multiplier of 2.00 and it will run at 2x FSB

3) & 4) i would suggest reading this guide:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overcl...

it helped me a ton, i went up to 3.2 with zero problems, but i didnt change voltages, so perhaps someone else can elaborate more on that part of things
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 7, 2007 2:55:27 PM

Read the OC guides - especially for your motherboard if you can find one.

You may not be able to reach 3.6 GHz with stability. I cannot - at least not without running the CPU core voltage higher than I really want to. Having said that, your CPU should be able to run at 3GHz at stock voltages. So that's a good place to start.

Run your memory at 1:1 if possible.

Have fun. Watch your temperatures.
!