I hate accolades.

With the invention of the accolade, I opine that CoH began walking down
the way of the EverQuest. Of course, every successful MMOG must become an
EverQuest, that is, it must contain so much timesinks that it can never be
completed. This almost goes without saying, as otherwise the players would
leave. Even so, I need not like it.

In this case, the game rewards players for acting blatantly out of
character. I'm OK with badges - you get them, or not, and display them,
or not. But people REALLY want those extra 5% of endurance and Crey
pistols or whatever. And so they come and mop up huge quantities of grey
(to them) mobs in Perez Park, and offer ridiculous sums of influence to be
part of an otherwise boring mission. Things they would not normally have
done, things that are out of character, things that are simply not heroic.

The problem is, of course, that if you don't do it you will not be all you
can be, and will be an inferior member of your team / supergroup.

I will get back to the "Arena" thing when I see it. I am not too
optimistic. While it could be a training tool to improve your combat
skills in a safe environment (like a training room, but of course without
such a reserved name), it is most likely designed to be an out of
character time sink again.

Is this the path we want to go? We could just as well be crafting
inspirations and enhancements. At least for some origins that could be in
character (spells, gizmos).

good sign." -G
15 answers Last reply
More about hate accolades
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland wrote:
    > With the invention of the accolade, I opine that CoH began walking
    down
    > the way of the EverQuest. Of course, every successful MMOG must
    become an
    > EverQuest, that is, it must contain so much timesinks that it can
    never be
    > completed. This almost goes without saying, as otherwise the players
    would
    > leave. Even so, I need not like it.
    >
    > In this case, the game rewards players for acting blatantly out of
    > character. I'm OK with badges - you get them, or not, and display
    them,
    > or not. But people REALLY want those extra 5% of endurance and Crey
    > pistols or whatever. And so they come and mop up huge quantities of
    grey
    > (to them) mobs in Perez Park, and offer ridiculous sums of influence
    to be
    > part of an otherwise boring mission. Things they would not normally
    have
    > done, things that are out of character, things that are simply not
    heroic.

    I like them. I got my first one night before last. It's nice to have
    a goal other than the next level. Right now I'm scouring the streets
    fighting tanks (glad they made bosses easier), which is pretty heroic.
    Granted the 50 grey wolves I beat up to get my first accolade wasn't
    heroic, but getting that badge earned message, and seeing the nice new
    status icon showing for the increased mana was really cool when that
    last wolf dropped.

    The game doesn't have tradeskills or items to work for like others do,
    so having accolades adds a little dimension. Of course I don't have
    enough imagination to be a good RP, so it doesn't bother me to do
    things OOC.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:14:12 +0100, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    wrote:

    >With the invention of the accolade, I opine that CoH began walking down
    >the way of the EverQuest. Of course, every successful MMOG must become an
    >EverQuest, that is, it must contain so much timesinks that it can never be
    >completed. This almost goes without saying, as otherwise the players would
    >leave. Even so, I need not like it.
    >
    >In this case, the game rewards players for acting blatantly out of
    >character. I'm OK with badges - you get them, or not, and display them,
    >or not. But people REALLY want those extra 5% of endurance and Crey
    >pistols or whatever. And so they come and mop up huge quantities of grey
    >(to them) mobs in Perez Park, and offer ridiculous sums of influence to be
    >part of an otherwise boring mission. Things they would not normally have
    >done, things that are out of character, things that are simply not heroic.
    >
    >The problem is, of course, that if you don't do it you will not be all you
    >can be, and will be an inferior member of your team / supergroup.
    >
    >I will get back to the "Arena" thing when I see it. I am not too
    >optimistic. While it could be a training tool to improve your combat
    >skills in a safe environment (like a training room, but of course without
    >such a reserved name), it is most likely designed to be an out of
    >character time sink again.
    >
    >Is this the path we want to go? We could just as well be crafting
    >inspirations and enhancements. At least for some origins that could be in
    >character (spells, gizmos).

    I just want something to spend my 6,000,000 influence on.....even if
    it's a 2% increase to defense Flak Jacket at a Million a pop.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <opsllb1ymwb52ai9@news.online.no>, Magnus Itland wrote:
    > In this case, the game rewards players for acting blatantly out of
    > character. I'm OK with badges - you get them, or not, and display them,
    > or not. But people REALLY want those extra 5% of endurance and Crey
    > pistols or whatever. And so they come and mop up huge quantities of grey
    > (to them) mobs in Perez Park, and offer ridiculous sums of influence to be
    > part of an otherwise boring mission. Things they would not normally have
    > done, things that are out of character, things that are simply not heroic.

    None of the villain types that you can do this to in Perez are worth
    anything in terms of Accolades, except perhaps the "Lost Leaders" who
    you need for the Vanguard Medal. What I suspect you're complaining about
    are the people going after Hellion or Skull bosses. That gives you a
    badge that has no in-game benefit.

    It's a "collect-'em-all" thing - a time sink, nothing more.

    For Spelunker, part of the problem is that a lot of people (including
    me with my main) did the mission once when we were low level, but it
    belonged to someone else so when badges came out we never got credit.
    And since, quite frankly, having to go into the woods of Perez at that
    level is a gigantic pain, most people avoided that mission before it
    granted the badge, which means a committed altoholic could have multiple
    characters without the badge. Should they be cut off from one of the
    end-game rewards because they didn't want to do the "can anyone find the
    mission door? please PLEASE tell me you have Recall Friend... no? why
    are we here again...?" thing in Perez?

    For everyone who PL'd past the low-level badges and is going back to beg
    them, there's someone who simply missed them because they're an old
    player and just wants the stupid badge they should already have because
    they DID this already but NO they're stuck in FRICK'N PEREZ having to
    wave giant wads of influence around to get that FRICK'N BLUE SHINY that
    EVERYONE ELSE their level has mutter grumble...

    > The problem is, of course, that if you don't do it you will not be all you
    > can be, and will be an inferior member of your team / supergroup.

    Quite ridiculous. They're helpful, but nothing more. You can expect to
    get teased mildly about not having them, especially if you're only one
    badge short or something, but I've yet to see a team go "omg you don't
    have accolade? *boot*". No doubt they exist, of course.

    > I will get back to the "Arena" thing when I see it. I am not too
    > optimistic. While it could be a training tool to improve your combat
    > skills in a safe environment (like a training room, but of course without
    > such a reserved name), it is most likely designed to be an out of
    > character time sink again.

    Testing your might is never out of character for a mighty hero. Not that
    I expect to spend much if any time inside the Arena, but this is just
    being sour for no good reason.

    > Is this the path we want to go? We could just as well be crafting
    > inspirations and enhancements. At least for some origins that could be in
    > character (spells, gizmos).

    More things to do besides punching evil are good. I'm impressed that you
    could take the position that there should be less things for people to
    do, but I guess I shouldn't be, this being the Internet and all.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

    "Magnus, Robot Fighter." <me@key.com> wrote:
    > I just want something to spend my 6,000,000 influence on...

    Sheesh, no kidding. I thought it was unusual and/or whining about how Inf
    piles up after the low 30s... and here I am, 35+'d out, waiting for 37 so I
    can 40-out (which will take maybe 2M)... with 3.5M in hand already. Yowza.
    I'll probably be sitting on 5M at 37.

    Time to drop some on alts and/or play games with newbie costume contests or
    something.

    I wonder if betting on arena fights will be allowed.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

    sw <sw@eyrie.org> wrote:
    > For Spelunker, part of the problem is that a lot of people (including
    > me with my main) did the mission once when we were low level, but it
    > belonged to someone else so when badges came out we never got credit.
    > And since, quite frankly, having to go into the woods of Perez at that
    > level is a gigantic pain, most people avoided that mission before it
    > granted the badge, which means a committed altoholic could have
    > multiple characters without the badge. Should they be cut off from one
    > of the end-game rewards because they didn't want to do the "can anyone
    > find the mission door? please PLEASE tell me you have Recall Friend...
    > no? why are we here again...?" thing in Perez?

    The enhanced maps are absolutely, totally invaluable for this.

    http://www.vidiotmaps.com/coh

    I got stuck in PP at 32 - that little keyhole down in the SE corner.
    Spent nearly an hour finding the slot - no one would TP me, and nothing
    could kill me. The maps are not an option for that zone, IMHO. And
    they're damned useful everywhere else. Since you still have to unfog
    them, I don't see them as cheating...

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
    -= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <nsp@nitrosyncretic.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >"Magnus, Robot Fighter." <me@key.com> wrote:
    >> I just want something to spend my 6,000,000 influence on...
    >
    >Sheesh, no kidding. I thought it was unusual and/or whining about how Inf
    >piles up after the low 30s... and here I am, 35+'d out, waiting for 37 so I
    >can 40-out (which will take maybe 2M)... with 3.5M in hand already. Yowza.
    >I'll probably be sitting on 5M at 37.

    Of course the prices on your level 40 enhances are pretty steep, but
    you'll still have a bunch left over.

    The only reason I don't have huge amounts of inf left on Shadeling
    really is that her costume(s) changed regularly as I got bored of a
    particular look - I swear she's had at least 50 different costumes.

    >Time to drop some on alts and/or play games with newbie costume contests or
    >something.

    I do this with alts - drop a million on them. Doing the "starving Hero"
    thing wasn't exactly fun the first time, so there's no reason to go
    through it again. One mil will pretty much cover the DO and first SO
    purchases (as long as you don't try staying ++green.)
    I drop it on them once i'm pretty sure i'll actually keep/play the
    character. Wish I could use in-game mail to just send it to them
    instead of having a 3rd party hold it.

    >I wonder if betting on arena fights will be allowed.

    Too easy to "fix" the fights.

    Xocyll
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote in

    > With the invention of the accolade, I opine that CoH began walking
    > down the way of the EverQuest. Of course, every successful MMOG
    > must become an EverQuest, that is, it must contain so much
    > timesinks that it can never be completed. This almost goes without
    > saying, as otherwise the players would leave. Even so, I need not
    > like it.

    No, you need not like it. That is one of the things that I like about
    this game, is that the offer is there and it is up to the player to
    decide if they want it or not.

    As to every MMOG 'must become an Everquest', then why did Everquest 2
    come out? If Everquest is the goal, then there should not have been
    an Everquest 2.

    > In this case, the game rewards players for acting blatantly out of
    > character.

    Out of character? Let me read further before I answer this.

    > I'm OK with badges - you get them, or not, and display
    > them, or not. But people REALLY want those extra 5% of endurance
    > and Crey pistols or whatever. And so they come and mop up huge
    > quantities of grey (to them) mobs in Perez Park, and offer
    > ridiculous sums of influence to be part of an otherwise boring
    > mission. Things they would not normally have done, things that
    > are out of character, things that are simply not heroic.

    Ah, I see. Well the thing is, is that most of the 'grey mobs' you
    speak of are currently not worth anything towards an accolade.
    Hellions, Skulls, Clocks, and the low end Circle of Thorns in Perez
    Park do not contribute to an accolade. The Lost Leaders (Bosses)
    might be grey in Perez, but there is not enough of them in PP to
    justify hunting there, when there are more in the Sewers. As to the
    CoT Mages, needed for the Archmage Accolade, Hollows is where they
    are in plenty.

    > The problem is, of course, that if you don't do it you will not be
    > all you can be, and will be an inferior member of your team /
    > supergroup.

    I didn't get my 'Atlas Medallion' until I got the 100 Vamps and
    Wolves that I needed, and that was in a mission in Brickstown at 36.
    The Crey Pistol, I got that at 37 after doing the 100 Paragon
    Protectors, and not a single one of them was less than 'conn yellow'.
    I still have about 95 Fake Nemesis to get the 'Freedom Phalanx
    Reserve' and the only real good place to hunt them is in Peregine
    Isle, which would definatly not be grey to me at 38.

    Why do I want these Accolades? Well, my char is a martial arts
    regenerative natural scrapper. So the Atlas Medallion adds to my base
    endurance, the Freedom Phalanx adds to my base Hit Points, and the
    Crey Pistol gives me a range weapon that I can only use every 25
    minutes (without hasten). Does that add to my team, these individual
    abilities? Well, you hit a level 40 Terra Devouring Earth ArchVillian
    with the Crey Pistol, and 2 minutes later she stomps you flat
    (happened tonight....not pretty). {The only reason the entire team
    didn't wipe, was that at the last moment, the level 50 that was
    exemp'd went full strength and kept her off us until re could re-
    group}.

    > I will get back to the "Arena" thing when I see it. I am not too
    > optimistic. While it could be a training tool to improve your
    > combat skills in a safe environment (like a training room, but of
    > course without such a reserved name), it is most likely designed
    > to be an out of character time sink again.

    And the 'Danger Room' from X-Men was a time sink? So far, anything
    that earns my char prestige (influence) which I can use to enhance my
    abilities is welcome. The write ups I have seen for the 'Arena'
    suggests that there are rewards in that, without risks. You either
    earn, or you go do something else. Unlike other PvP that I have seen
    in newsgroups, where they can 'loot' your unconcious form.

    > Is this the path we want to go? We could just as well be crafting
    > inspirations and enhancements. At least for some origins that
    > could be in character (spells, gizmos).

    I do recall Statesman (as he is known on the boards) as saying that
    they are not going to have crafting. Crafting to me is just another
    way of improving a char that others may not have the ability to do.

    And, even if they do something along the lines of crafting, the
    origin background might not restrict some chars from some crafts that
    others can.

    My Natural Scrapper can use dual-origins that are also used my Magic
    or Technology origins, but the Single Origins that I use are also
    available to other origins, just as different names. My Single Origin
    Accuracy enhancement is called Dragon Strike while a Magic is called
    Insight of Grey and the tech's is called something to long to type.
    But they all give the same benefit to each of the origins as the
    others do.

    So, looking at the way that enhancements are handled in CoH is, to
    me, far better than anything I have seen or read about in other MMOG.

    I think that is the longest reply to any post that I have made. But
    it also explains why I play CoH and not some other MMOG, and I have
    tried them.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> I wonder if betting on arena fights will be allowed.

    > Too easy to "fix" the fights.

    I thought of third-party wagering after I hit send on that one - I meant
    between the participants. "Punching for pink slips" would give new meaning
    to "owning" someone... :)

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
    -= Duke Miasma: Level 8 Science Controller, Grav/Force, H =-
    -= the Nonpareil: Level 7 Magic Defender, Emp/Rad, F =-
    -= Mean Mr Mustard: Level 7 Natural Tanker, Inv/Stone, H =-
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    In article <dm040111mnj9gg9ck22tg82chq8k615ceh@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    > I do this with alts - drop a million on them. Doing the "starving Hero"
    > thing wasn't exactly fun the first time, so there's no reason to go
    > through it again. One mil will pretty much cover the DO and first SO
    > purchases (as long as you don't try staying ++green.)

    In my SG (and with any newbies I decide to bootstrap), you get 100k at
    level 12 to get you through the Dual Origin purchases, and 1m if you get
    to level 22 for the Single Origin levels. I don't think anyone has gone
    broke under this system.

    I must have given out like 10m influence at this point, and I still have
    30m banked... and not even to level 50 yet. Guess visiting the
    enhancement stores regularly to sell pays off eventually.

    --
    --- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
    "Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of
    scholars remain for an eternity." - Ulughbek
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    sw <sw@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
    spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >In article <dm040111mnj9gg9ck22tg82chq8k615ceh@4ax.com>, Xocyll wrote:
    >> I do this with alts - drop a million on them. Doing the "starving Hero"
    >> thing wasn't exactly fun the first time, so there's no reason to go
    >> through it again. One mil will pretty much cover the DO and first SO
    >> purchases (as long as you don't try staying ++green.)
    >
    >In my SG (and with any newbies I decide to bootstrap), you get 100k at
    >level 12 to get you through the Dual Origin purchases, and 1m if you get
    >to level 22 for the Single Origin levels. I don't think anyone has gone
    >broke under this system.

    That sounds like a pretty good system actually, especially since it
    minimizes the risk of wasted inf on toons that get abandoned in the
    teens.

    >I must have given out like 10m influence at this point, and I still have
    >30m banked... and not even to level 50 yet. Guess visiting the
    >enhancement stores regularly to sell pays off eventually.

    I'm almost religious about running off and selling at the appropriate
    stores as soon as my enhancement tray is full. Of course, since i'm
    fighting solo mostly, there's no one to stop me leaving NOW to sell.

    I(n the 40's I still kept and sold DOs, unless I was a long way from a
    store (like the shard) and didn't want to leave just yet - then i'd
    delete DOs and leave when I had a fulkl tray of SOs.

    It's amazing how not combining and not selling to the wrong stores
    and/or deleting "unwanted" enhances can make for fairly huge levels of
    inf vs those who combine/delete/sell all at nearest store.

    Xocyll
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:20:10 +0100, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    wrote:

    >Oh, I'm well aware that the grey-con hunters are customers just as much as
    >I am. I just happen to think it's a bad move to build in features that
    >detract from the atmosphere they've spent so much time and energy to
    >create in the first place. I think it is a poor investment and they would
    >do better to think of their core customers.

    And what's wrong with hunting gray cons? Can't you say it's detracting
    from the atmosphere to have heroes passing up criminals because
    they're "gray con" and, thus, don't give xp for the kill anymore?

    --
    Dark Tyger

    Sympathy for the retailer:
    http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
    "Door's to your left" -Gord

    Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    | On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 21:20:10 +0100, Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >Oh, I'm well aware that the grey-con hunters are customers just as much
    as
    | >I am. I just happen to think it's a bad move to build in features that
    | >detract from the atmosphere they've spent so much time and energy to
    | >create in the first place. I think it is a poor investment and they
    would
    | >do better to think of their core customers.
    |
    | And what's wrong with hunting gray cons? Can't you say it's detracting
    | from the atmosphere to have heroes passing up criminals because
    | they're "gray con" and, thus, don't give xp for the kill anymore?
    |
    | --
    | Dark Tyger

    Justice never sleeps when evil lurks in the night.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:41:18 -0800, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
    wrote:

    > And what's wrong with hunting gray cons? Can't you say it's detracting
    > from the atmosphere to have heroes passing up criminals because
    > they're "gray con" and, thus, don't give xp for the kill anymore?

    In worlds with a high superhero density, there usually exists a tacit
    agreement that the most powerful heroes concentrate on cosmic threats and
    leave the purse snatchers to the less powerful heroes. Oh, there are
    exceptions, and they can make good stories ... but that's because there
    usually is a story behind it. You plum don't see Silver Surfer snatching a
    bunch of villains before the nose of a younger hero, explaining "Sorry, I
    need to defeat 200 of these". There is, or ought to be, a good story to
    tell if you hunt villains that are helpless before you.

    Now, I'm not saying all servers should be RP servers or anything. I just
    don't think the devs should actively encourage things that go counter to
    their original vision.

    good sign." -G
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:41:18 -0800, Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > And what's wrong with hunting gray cons? Can't you say it's detracting
    > > from the atmosphere to have heroes passing up criminals because
    > > they're "gray con" and, thus, don't give xp for the kill anymore?
    >
    > In worlds with a high superhero density, there usually exists a tacit
    > agreement that the most powerful heroes concentrate on cosmic threats and
    > leave the purse snatchers to the less powerful heroes. Oh, there are
    > exceptions, and they can make good stories ... but that's because there
    > usually is a story behind it. You plum don't see Silver Surfer snatching a
    > bunch of villains before the nose of a younger hero, explaining "Sorry, I
    > need to defeat 200 of these". There is, or ought to be, a good story to
    > tell if you hunt villains that are helpless before you.

    Some big heroes do sweat the small stuff.

    Superman has known to deal with his share of petty criminals. No matter
    what level of scrapper you assign to the Batman, he doesn't turn a blind eye
    to much either.

    My characters with area-effects powers will usually toss out an area-attack
    or two to drop some petty baddies they meet along the way. I won't if there
    are small heroes engaging or close and only hit ones where there's a
    civillian involved. Baddies keeping to themselves don't get the treatment.

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
    Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to
    fit their views
    ....which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that
    needs altering."
    -The Doctor
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    I'm only 10 but when I run through Atlas or Galaxy I still stop
    muggings I see, specially if its an old lady involved. :) I leave
    random gatherings of baddies alone and don't bother ones that have a
    lower level hero around. I can one shot the grays and I feel bad NOT
    helping so I take a few seconds to help "keep the peace".

Games Video Games