hanging with on/off switch suspend

G

I built a computer for a friend with an Intel D815EEA2 motherboard and Windows 2000 pro SP2.

There is one strange problem. When they hit the power switch Windows 2000 Pro displays the "preparing to shut down" message but then just hangs there without going further. The power switch then has no effect, nor does anything else, and you have to hit the reset switch.

Is the power switch trying to actually send Windows 2000 into a shut down, or is is trying to send Windows 2000 into suspend mode? Windows does seem to be hanging when trying to go into suspend, but shuts down fine in just a few seconds. What should I try to troubleshoot to find out why Windows 2000 is hanging when trying to go into suspend mode (if this is what should be happening when you hit the power switch)?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i would make sure i have the power_on connector the right way on the mobo. some/most atx cases have a feature if you keep the power depressed for so many secs(mine is 4) it will go into suspend mode rather. check also you're power settings in control panel. i don't use any suspend/sleep features, if my comp is on i want it on, if not i'll shut it off.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

G

I tried reversing the connector and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'll have to look in the control panel... not sure how to enable/disable suspend and restore it to a normal on-off switch. If I can find a way to get rid of the suspend option that should be fine as I don't see much use for it on this computer.

Thanks.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
What you would be looking for is the soft-off feature in your BIOS, under the power settings. You can disable this function there.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men