Not seeing USB keyboard in setup

I am at my wits end here peeps. I hope there is someone out there with
the information to help me. I have been scouring the M$ websites, as
well as Google and have not found a prudent fix anywhere. Nor have I
come across a post describing a similar problem.

Here is the problem, when I try to install Windows 2000 Professional
and get to the setup screen I am unable to use the Belkin USB keyboard
to input the information needed to continue. It works like a charm
until the Plug and Play screen comes up to install devices, after that
happens the keyboard is dead so to speak. Is there any way that I can
bypass the Plug and Play setup until I get into Windows to work through
the issues? Or perhaps someone may have a better idea?

Also, there is no way that I can use a PS2 keyboard on the system, as
the PS2 port is damaged. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Are you using a USB 2.0 port or 1.1 port? If the keyboard is connected
to a 2.0 port try connecting it to a 1.1 port.

I remember facing the same problem on my previous system with a Via
VT82C691/VT82C586 chipset board. USB was working fine on Windows ME
and when I upgraded to Windows 2000, the usb port stopped working.
Since I was using a PS2 keyboard I didnt face any problem, later I
download the drivers from Via and installed it.

I dont know if a SP4 slipstreamed Windows 2000 would solve the
problem. ??!!!

landcruiser@rediffmail.com wrote:
> I remember facing the same problem on my previous system with a Via
> VT82C691/VT82C586 chipset board. USB was working fine on Windows ME
> and when I upgraded to Windows 2000, the usb port stopped working.
> Since I was using a PS2 keyboard I didnt face any problem, later I
> download the drivers from Via and installed it.
>
> I dont know if a SP4 slipstreamed Windows 2000 would solve the
> problem. ??!!!

Thanks for your kind reply sir. Actually I did have a copy of SP4 on
hand and it didn't solve the problem at all. I just think that native
support for ViA USB is missing from Windows 2000 at any level. Seems
awfully strange to me that Windows 2000 is that much different than the
prior OS's. A slipstreamed CD in this case I believe is the only way to
go since 2000 is so picky about USB. I would have to also include the
drivers into the slipstreamed installation if I did not want a problem
of this type again.

Although the unattended installation routine worked very well, so I do
not see a need to do that. I just neeed to do the extra step of
installing the necessary drivers when Windows finishes installation.

Again thanks for the reply,

Tony