No add/remove program file??

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
February 9, 2005 9:07:07 AM

I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my c
drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program folder
as well.
I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload my
window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
disc.
Alex Smith

More about : add remove program file

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:14:26 AM

What folder specifically?

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Alex Smith" wrote:
|I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my
| drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
| fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program
folder
| as well.
| I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload
my
| window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
| letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
| disc.
| Alex Smith
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:53:05 AM

Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file at
all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact. Like
I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some of
my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
Alex/newport348

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> What folder specifically?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Alex Smith" wrote:
> |I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my
> | drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
> | fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program
> folder
> | as well.
> | I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload
> my
> | window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
> | letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
> | disc.
> | Alex Smith

February 9, 2005 1:11:31 PM

Doesn't answer the question of what was deleted. But.......

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...

What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

"Alex Smith" wrote:
| Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file
at
| all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact.
Like
| I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some
of
| my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
| Alex/newport348
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:27:03 PM

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Doesn't answer the question of what was deleted. But.......
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alex/Newport348
wrote:---------------------------------------------------------------
Dave: That is my problem. I can not open the add/remove folder or file
because I deleted the whole folder/file from my control panel. As of now, my
computer still function normally. I would like to have the option to go to my
add/remove file to remove certain programs when the time comes. I went to the
site you posted and it said that I must put my window 2000 CD in and hit
repair. I believe I will not lose any files or documents that are in my
hardrive. Thank you for your reponse.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...
>
> What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
>
> Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
> network.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Alex Smith" wrote:
> | Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file
> at
> | all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact.
> Like
> | I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some
> of
> | my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
> | Alex/newport348

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:37:23 PM

Well if you can tell us the file and folder names then there may be another
way.

--

"Alex Smith" wrote:
| Dave: That is my problem. I can not open the add/remove folder or file
| because I deleted the whole folder/file from my control panel. As of now,
my
| computer still function normally. I would like to have the option to go to
my
| add/remove file to remove certain programs when the time comes. I went to
the
| site you posted and it said that I must put my window 2000 CD in and hit
| repair. I believe I will not lose any files or documents that are in my
| hardrive. Thank you for your reponse.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:27:16 PM

Dave: Files,folders, it's all the same to me. This is how I deleted my
add/remove program.
1. I opened my compac (c) folder.
2.From there. I opened up the WINNT folder.
3.From there, I believe it was the "system 32" files.
From that point, I started to reomve all kind of files, blindly. I noticed
that some of these files would come back in seconds after I deleted them. I
assumed a fail safe was put in to keep my operating system from crashing.
I hope this helps. I would not want to reboot my window 2000 CD and lose
some precious files.
Alex/Newport348

"Alex Smith" wrote:

> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
> > Doesn't answer the question of what was deleted. But.......
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alex/Newport348
> wrote:---------------------------------------------------------------
> Dave: That is my problem. I can not open the add/remove folder or file
> because I deleted the whole folder/file from my control panel. As of now, my
> computer still function normally. I would like to have the option to go to my
> add/remove file to remove certain programs when the time comes. I went to the
> site you posted and it said that I must put my window 2000 CD in and hit
> repair. I believe I will not lose any files or documents that are in my
> hardrive. Thank you for your reponse.
> __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>

> > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1...
> >
> > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
> >
> > Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
> > network.
> >
> > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D...
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Alex Smith" wrote:
> > | Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file
> > at
> > | all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact.
> > Like
> > | I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some
> > of
> > | my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
> > | Alex/newport348

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:43:07 PM

A rather odd thing to do. Do the repair install and hope for the best.

--

"Alex Smith" wrote:

| Dave: Files,folders, it's all the same to me. This is how I deleted my
| add/remove program.
| 1. I opened my compac (c) folder.
| 2.From there. I opened up the WINNT folder.
| 3.From there, I believe it was the "system 32" files.
| From that point, I started to reomve all kind of files, blindly. I noticed
| that some of these files would come back in seconds after I deleted them.
| assumed a fail safe was put in to keep my operating system from crashing.
| I hope this helps. I would not want to reboot my window 2000 CD and lose
| some precious files.
| Alex/Newport348
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:16:28 PM

Can you run it from a Command Prompt? Issue this command:

control.exe appwiz.cpl

Take a look at this:

Replacing Missing Control Panel Icons
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173132