No add/remove program file??

I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my c
drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program folder
as well.
I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload my
window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
disc.
Alex Smith
8 answers Last reply
More about remove program file

    What folder specifically?

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Alex Smith" wrote:
    |I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my
    | drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
    | fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program
    folder
    | as well.
    | I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload
    my
    | window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
    | letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
    | disc.
    | Alex Smith

    Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file at
    all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact. Like
    I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some of
    my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
    Alex/newport348

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > What folder specifically?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Alex Smith" wrote:
    > |I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my
    > | drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
    > | fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program
    > folder
    > | as well.
    > | I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload
    > my
    > | window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
    > | letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
    > | disc.
    > | Alex Smith

    Doesn't answer the question of what was deleted. But.......

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

    What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    network.

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Doesn't answer the question of what was deleted. But.......
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alex/Newport348
    wrote:---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave: That is my problem. I can not open the add/remove folder or file
    because I deleted the whole folder/file from my control panel. As of now, my
    computer still function normally. I would like to have the option to go to my
    add/remove file to remove certain programs when the time comes. I went to the
    site you posted and it said that I must put my window 2000 CD in and hit
    repair. I believe I will not lose any files or documents that are in my
    hardrive. Thank you for your reponse.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
    >
    > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    >
    > Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    > network.
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Alex Smith" wrote:
    > | Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file
    > at
    > | all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact.
    > Like
    > | I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some
    > of
    > | my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
    > | Alex/newport348

    Well if you can tell us the file and folder names then there may be another
    way.

    --

    "Alex Smith" wrote:
    | Dave: That is my problem. I can not open the add/remove folder or file
    | because I deleted the whole folder/file from my control panel. As of now,
    my
    | computer still function normally. I would like to have the option to go to
    my
    | add/remove file to remove certain programs when the time comes. I went to
    the
    | site you posted and it said that I must put my window 2000 CD in and hit
    | repair. I believe I will not lose any files or documents that are in my
    | hardrive. Thank you for your reponse.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Dave: Files,folders, it's all the same to me. This is how I deleted my
    add/remove program.
    1. I opened my compac (c) folder.
    2.From there. I opened up the WINNT folder.
    3.From there, I believe it was the "system 32" files.
    From that point, I started to reomve all kind of files, blindly. I noticed
    that some of these files would come back in seconds after I deleted them. I
    assumed a fail safe was put in to keep my operating system from crashing.
    I hope this helps. I would not want to reboot my window 2000 CD and lose
    some precious files.
    Alex/Newport348

    "Alex Smith" wrote:

    > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
    >
    > > Doesn't answer the question of what was deleted. But.......
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alex/Newport348
    > wrote:---------------------------------------------------------------
    > Dave: That is my problem. I can not open the add/remove folder or file
    > because I deleted the whole folder/file from my control panel. As of now, my
    > computer still function normally. I would like to have the option to go to my
    > add/remove file to remove certain programs when the time comes. I went to the
    > site you posted and it said that I must put my window 2000 CD in and hit
    > repair. I believe I will not lose any files or documents that are in my
    > hardrive. Thank you for your reponse.
    > __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    >

    > > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP
    > >
    > > What an In-Place Windows 2000 Upgrade Changes and What It Does Not Change
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    > >
    > > Be sure to apply these to your repair install before connecting to any
    > > network.
    > >
    > > http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-043.mspx
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-049.mspx
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Alex Smith" wrote:
    > > | Dave: When I open my control panel, there is no "Add/Remove Progam" file
    > > at
    > > | all. I do have "add/remove hardware" and some other files still intact.
    > > Like
    > > | I said, if I reload my window 2000 operating system disc, will I lose some
    > > of
    > > | my favorite files and programs already in my hardware?
    > > | Alex/newport348

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    A rather odd thing to do. Do the repair install and hope for the best.

    --

    "Alex Smith" wrote:

    | Dave: Files,folders, it's all the same to me. This is how I deleted my
    | add/remove program.
    | 1. I opened my compac (c) folder.
    | 2.From there. I opened up the WINNT folder.
    | 3.From there, I believe it was the "system 32" files.
    | From that point, I started to reomve all kind of files, blindly. I noticed
    | that some of these files would come back in seconds after I deleted them.
    | assumed a fail safe was put in to keep my operating system from crashing.
    | I hope this helps. I would not want to reboot my window 2000 CD and lose
    | some precious files.
    | Alex/Newport348
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Can you run it from a Command Prompt? Issue this command:

    control.exe appwiz.cpl

    Take a look at this:

    Replacing Missing Control Panel Icons
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173132

    John

    Alex Smith wrote:

    > I thought I could save more space on my hardrive by going straight into my c
    > drive and remove some files I did not need. BIG MISTAKE. My computer runs
    > fine but I discovered that I accidently reoved my add/remove program folder
    > as well.
    > I do have a window 2000 operating disc and would need to know if I reload my
    > window 2000 disc, will I lose valuable files as well? There are pics and
    > letters saved in my c drive and I do not have a way to save them on CD or
    > disc.
    > Alex Smith

Microsoft Windows