Xp and 7

mii7303

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I have a dual boot with windows Xp and Windows 7. Unfortunately Windows 7's HAL.DLL is corrupt. I have a copy of the DLL from the Disk that is almost the same version as the corrupt version. In windows XP i have access to 7's drive, but i cannot copy the DLL to system32. It says access denied. Is there i way i can copy the DLL without reformatting the drive as it would take 10+ hours to copy the data off, reformat, and reinstall everything. Thanks in advance.

-mii7303

LemonSaucy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
OK I cannot answer the question directly. I just want to say:

If you reinstall Windows to save hours and hours next time things gum up:

Make a system image. Windows 7 has the software that enables you to make one through "Backup and Restore" found in the Control Panel. You can just use an external harddrive to place it on. Should something come up, you can be back up and running within an hour. You can image all the installed drives or just some of them - so if you have two operating systems they can both be included in the image.

Anyway, the technique I find it is best to install Windows and all applications. But do not put your docs, music and pictures on just yet. Do all Windows and application updates. Set things up how you like them. Then make the image.

Now only after bring in all your docs, pics, music etc.

Do not include the docs and pic in the image rather have them stored externally separately. The reason is that these change from time to time, plus they make the restore much bigger. You can also back them up from time to time without bothering re-imaging. The same external harddrive can be used to back up your personal files (documents, music, pictures etc.)

Now if things get gummed up, boot from the Windows 7 DVD and restore using the image. Once restored, you can install any updates published since the image was made. After that bring in your docs, music and pics etc.

Restoring should take around an hour rather than two days.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Windows 7 and vista dont use hal.dll.

Try rebuilding the BCD. You said you can get into command prompt from the install dvd? In that case,
at the command prompt, type (each command on separate line):

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Hit Enter after each command. Please note you should do this only in the Recovery environment i.e. when booted from the install dvd or a Windows 7 recovery disk. You can also download a recovery disk from the link below.