Sign in with
Your question

Need help quick! TV Tuner, sound question

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2007 1:49:24 PM

Hi guys,

The GF has found a deal on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 and is at the mall. I thought I might ask her to buy it for me, but I have an important question to ask first. I want to get a 2nd monitor, and watch TV on the one while I play games on the other.

How does one separate the sound signal?? I want to have my speakers output the TV sound, and I want to put on a headset to listen to the game sound (not loud obviously so I can hear the TV). I like to watch movies in the background while I walk from Auberdine to Thousand Needles.

If both sounds come out through the same speakers, that wont work. Plz let me know ASAP!

Thanks!
March 7, 2007 1:52:25 PM

Incase anyone asks, I have a x1900xt with dual output. PC details are in sig.
March 7, 2007 2:25:35 PM

Anyone? Another way of putting it would be to ask if I could have SkyPe coming out my headset, while having the game sound come out my main speakers (so both with be audible because of the separate steams). If I could do that, I could do the same with multiple screens and TV and gaming right?
Related resources
March 7, 2007 3:07:54 PM

Well, never actually tried it, but given your board is 975x it should have Intel HD Audio on it. In theory, thats exactly what you should be able to do;url=http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm]Intel HD Audio[/url]. Do you use sound off your board?

Either way- your tuner card is irrelevant.. so if shes paying, buy it then figure it out ;) 
March 7, 2007 3:49:14 PM

The Asus P5W DH has the Realtek AC97 driver, which uses 8 output ports on the hardware I think. Maybe one could use each port to output different sound sources. Anyone know anything about that, ie. using a single sound card to simultaneously output different sound sources?

Your link was very useful. I got this:
"Many consumers are also asking for the ability to play two different audio streams through their PC at the same time-perhaps classical music in the study and a movie in the living room. These demands cannot be met with previous audio solutions." - This would be with the Intel HD codec

And this:
"When AC‘97 was initially developed, users were typically listening to only music and movies with stereo sound. With the success of DVD movies encoded with Dolby* Digital and DTS* multi-channel audio formats, users have become accustomed to listening in full surround sound with anywhere from six to eight speakers. While AC‘97 technology has struggled to keep pace with all these advancements, Intel High Definition Audio is designed specifically for the high-quality multi-channel audio experiences. Newer audio and video encoding/decoding algorithms also enable a higher-quality listening experience."

Am I screwed?
March 7, 2007 5:15:10 PM

Quote:
Hi guys,

The GF has found a deal on the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 and is at the mall. I thought I might ask her to buy it for me, but I have an important question to ask first. I want to get a 2nd monitor, and watch TV on the one while I play games on the other.

How does one separate the sound signal?? I want to have my speakers output the TV sound, and I want to put on a headset to listen to the game sound (not loud obviously so I can hear the TV). I like to watch movies in the background while I walk from Auberdine to Thousand Needles.

If both sounds come out through the same speakers, that wont work. Plz let me know ASAP!

Thanks!

I've often thought about this, and I believe you need to have another sound card (onboard + PCI).. both enabled... most new retail applications should have a setting to choose the sound device that's providing the audio-output... I have a hauppauge card but the cable jack it connects to is all hosed up, so I can't test this for sure...

as for having the audio of skype come out of your headset while the game plays from the speakers, I've done this before using a USB headset, setting the IM/VoIP software I was using to output to the USB headset (since it has it's own digital sound processor)... dunno about skype, I use xFire :) 

Also, I'm not sure how resource intensive the TV Tuner is going to be, but if you have a dual-core processor, by all means give it a shot... then let me know what your results were :) 

hope this helps

Cheers
March 7, 2007 6:02:31 PM

Thanks guys. It just seems really nutz that HTPCs are so popular, yet they dont have a simple audio solution. Surely people want to watch movies on their plasma, while at the same time playing a game on their 19". Why the heck is this so difficult?

Any idea how to configure the audio out ports on the P5W DH, so that each output stream a separate audio source (one TV and the other a game).

Using Windows, you cant do that. What about with the RealTek AC97 software that came with it? I've tried in the past a while ago, but could come right (that was with 5.1 setup though).
!