IsopropylAlcohol: used on a new CPU out of the box?

Do you use Isopropanol on a new CPU/heatsink or just for removing thermal grease from an old one should you change heatsinks? thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about isopropylalcohol
  1. Quote:
    Do you use Isopropanol on a new CPU/heatsink or just for removing thermal grease from an old one should you change heatsinks? thanks
    The only reason I know of is to remove old thermal compound. On a new CPU, there is nothing to clean or remove as the stock pad is attached to the cooler, not the CPU sink.
  2. The only reason I know of is to remove old thermal compound. On a new CPU, there is nothing to clean or remove as the stock pad is attached to the cooler, not the CPU sink.

thanks for the reply, so when you build using brand new cpu/heatsink you haven't used isopropanol?
    I haven't built before and am not going to right this moment but I was ordering some stuff from a place that sells isopropanol so thought get it now (if needed) and save wasting money on postage
  3. It's not necessary. I usually do but I am meticulous. Don't buy any online, just pick up some 90% at your local pharmacy or corner drug store. It's really cheap.
  4. Could be harboring a deadly virus :? (pun intended)
  5. Use Iso on the new CPU to remove any of your finger marks if u happen to touch it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks CPUs Overclocking