Sign in with
Your question

IsopropylAlcohol: used on a new CPU out of the box?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 7, 2007 2:33:32 PM

Do you use Isopropanol on a new CPU/heatsink or just for removing thermal grease from an old one should you change heatsinks? thanks
a b K Overclocking
March 7, 2007 3:18:10 PM

Quote:
Do you use Isopropanol on a new CPU/heatsink or just for removing thermal grease from an old one should you change heatsinks? thanks
The only reason I know of is to remove old thermal compound. On a new CPU, there is nothing to clean or remove as the stock pad is attached to the cooler, not the CPU sink.
March 7, 2007 5:13:20 PM

[/quote]The only reason I know of is to remove old thermal compound. On a new CPU, there is nothing to clean or remove as the stock pad is attached to the cooler, not the CPU sink.[/quote]

thanks for the reply, so when you build using brand new cpu/heatsink you haven't used isopropanol?
I haven't built before and am not going to right this moment but I was ordering some stuff from a place that sells isopropanol so thought get it now (if needed) and save wasting money on postage
Related resources
March 7, 2007 5:20:42 PM

It's not necessary. I usually do but I am meticulous. Don't buy any online, just pick up some 90% at your local pharmacy or corner drug store. It's really cheap.
March 7, 2007 10:25:45 PM

Could be harboring a deadly virus :? (pun intended)
March 7, 2007 11:08:17 PM

Use Iso on the new CPU to remove any of your finger marks if u happen to touch it.
!