Logon never completes

Not really a setup issue, but not sure what other categoy applies. This is a
working Windows 2003 server (stand alone) with Terminal Services Application
sharing. No know chnages made to the server recently.

When I try to log on at the console, I briefly see an Applying Settings
message, then the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" reappears. It doesn't matter
if the user is and admin or not.

Not password error, I get a normal password error when I intentionally put
in a bad password.

Cannot connect remotely via RDP (admin or client) so soem major services
must not be running.

I hesitate to use the Recovery Console to restore MBR or fixboot, because
the server DOES seem to boot up.

help !
thanx

"joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Not really a setup issue, but not sure what other categoy applies. This
is a
> working Windows 2003 server (stand alone) with Terminal Services
Application
> sharing. No know chnages made to the server recently.
>
> When I try to log on at the console, I briefly see an Applying Settings
> message, then the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" reappears. It doesn't
matter
> if the user is and admin or not.
>
> Not password error, I get a normal password error when I intentionally
put
> in a bad password.
>
> Cannot connect remotely via RDP (admin or client) so soem major services
> must not be running.
>
> I hesitate to use the Recovery Console to restore MBR or fixboot, because
> the server DOES seem to boot up.
>
> help !
> thanx

What's the recent history of your PC? If it is what I suspect
then the news item "Ghosting Win 2003 -- Can't log-in" in the
newsgroup Windows.Server.General might help you.

No recent changes to the system, but it's in a Cybercafe and the users
attract a lot of sypware and viruses. Running latest Syamntec anti-virus,
SpyBot and SpyKiller daily.

Regarding the article you referenced, I don't think I can map a drive to it
(certainly can't RDP to it) but will try that. Will also try Last Known
Good.

Regarding the reference to doing a repair install, the link is to an XP
install,not Win2003 Server.

Thanks for the suggestions.

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not really a setup issue, but not sure what other categoy applies. This
> is a
> > working Windows 2003 server (stand alone) with Terminal Services
> Application
> > sharing. No know chnages made to the server recently.
> >
> > When I try to log on at the console, I briefly see an Applying Settings
> > message, then the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" reappears. It doesn't
> matter
> > if the user is and admin or not.
> >
> > Not password error, I get a normal password error when I intentionally
> put
> > in a bad password.
> >
> > Cannot connect remotely via RDP (admin or client) so soem major services
> > must not be running.
> >
> > I hesitate to use the Recovery Console to restore MBR or fixboot, because
> > the server DOES seem to boot up.
> >
> > help !
> > thanx
> >

> What's the recent history of your PC? If it is what I suspect
> then the news item "Ghosting Win 2003 -- Can't log-in" in the
> newsgroup Windows.Server.General might help you.

Thanks Much for you suggestion...

It was the userinit reference inthe registry. Rather than userinit.exe it
was pointing to wsaupdate.exe. I was able to remotely modify the registry
and the log now completes OK.

New problem is that the Spooler won't start.

Service Control Manager, Source: None
Event ID 7000
The Print Spooler service failed to start due to the following error:

When I do "sc query spooler"
The Win32_exit_code is 3

Can't find similar symptons in Knowledgebase.

any ideas?
thanks

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not really a setup issue, but not sure what other categoy applies. This
> is a
> > working Windows 2003 server (stand alone) with Terminal Services
> Application
> > sharing. No know chnages made to the server recently.
> >
> > When I try to log on at the console, I briefly see an Applying Settings
> > message, then the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" reappears. It doesn't
> matter
> > if the user is and admin or not.
> >
> > Not password error, I get a normal password error when I intentionally
> put
> > in a bad password.
> >
> > Cannot connect remotely via RDP (admin or client) so soem major services
> > must not be running.
> >
> > I hesitate to use the Recovery Console to restore MBR or fixboot, because
> > the server DOES seem to boot up.
> >
> > help !
> > thanx
> >

> What's the recent history of your PC? If it is what I suspect
> then the news item "Ghosting Win 2003 -- Can't log-in" in the
> newsgroup Windows.Server.General might help you.

Userinit.exe corrected in registry and log on now works.

But
Now Spooler won't start:

"Could not start the print spooler service on Local computer

ERROR 3: the system cannot find the path specified"

Thanks for any advice

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Not really a setup issue, but not sure what other categoy applies. This
> is a
> > working Windows 2003 server (stand alone) with Terminal Services
> Application
> > sharing. No know chnages made to the server recently.
> >
> > When I try to log on at the console, I briefly see an Applying Settings
> > message, then the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" reappears. It doesn't
> matter
> > if the user is and admin or not.
> >
> > Not password error, I get a normal password error when I intentionally
> put
> > in a bad password.
> >
> > Cannot connect remotely via RDP (admin or client) so soem major services
> > must not be running.
> >
> > I hesitate to use the Recovery Console to restore MBR or fixboot, because
> > the server DOES seem to boot up.
> >
> > help !
> > thanx
> >

> What's the recent history of your PC? If it is what I suspect
> then the news item "Ghosting Win 2003 -- Can't log-in" in the
> newsgroup Windows.Server.General might help you.

Run services.msc, then have a look at the print spooler
service. It's supposed to invoke this file:

C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe

In your case either the reference is wrong or the file is missing.

> Userinit.exe corrected in registry and log on now works.
>
> But
> Now Spooler won't start:
>

> "Could not start the print spooler service on Local computer
>
> ERROR 3: the system cannot find the path specified"
>
> Thanks for any advice
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

> > "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Not really a setup issue, but not sure what other categoy applies.
This
> > is a
> > > working Windows 2003 server (stand alone) with Terminal Services
> > Application
> > > sharing. No know chnages made to the server recently.
> > >
> > > When I try to log on at the console, I briefly see an Applying
Settings
> > > message, then the "Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to logon" reappears. It doesn't
> > matter
> > > if the user is and admin or not.
> > >
> > > Not password error, I get a normal password error when I
intentionally
> > put
> > > in a bad password.
> > >
> > > Cannot connect remotely via RDP (admin or client) so soem major
services
> > > must not be running.
> > >
> > > I hesitate to use the Recovery Console to restore MBR or fixboot,
because
> > > the server DOES seem to boot up.
> > >
> > > help !
> > > thanx
> > >

> > What's the recent history of your PC? If it is what I suspect
> > then the news item "Ghosting Win 2003 -- Can't log-in" in the
> > newsgroup Windows.Server.General might help you.

The file exists C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

But when I looked at the properties of the Spooler Servis in services.msc,
the "path to executable" is BLANK and is not an editable field. How do I put
the correct path into the service properties?

Also noticed that (unlike a working server I saw at my office) there is no
dependancies.

Also noticed someone in another group with the same inital problem I had. I
pointed him to the Ghosting post you refered me to. Is this a virus or
trojan going around? If I remember correctly, userinit.exe was replaced with
something like wsaupdate.exe.

Thanks again for all your help

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> Run services.msc, then have a look at the print spooler
> service. It's supposed to invoke this file:
>
> C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
>
> In your case either the reference is wrong or the file is missing.
>

> "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Userinit.exe corrected in registry and log on now works.
> >
> > But
> > Now Spooler won't start:
> >

> > "Could not start the print spooler service on Local computer
> >
> > ERROR 3: the system cannot find the path specified"
> >
> > Thanks for any advice
> >

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> > > "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This
> > > is a
> > > Application

> Settings
> > > matter

> intentionally
> > > put

> services

> because

> > > What's the recent history of your PC? If it is what I suspect
> > > then the news item "Ghosting Win 2003 -- Can't log-in" in the
> > > newsgroup Windows.Server.General might help you.

You will find the details of the PrintSpooler service in
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler
Have a look at another machine to see what they should
look like. Whether it is sufficient to just duplicate them
I do not know. Something or somebody appears to have
done a few things to your machine.

Seeing that this machine is in a cybercafe, I think it is
mandatory for you to create an image of each machine,
using a tool such as DriveImage (PowerQuest) or
TrueImage (Acronis). When something goes wrong,
you simply re-apply the most recent image. This would
take five minutes of your time instead of the hours that
you have spent so far.

> The file exists C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
>
> But when I looked at the properties of the Spooler Servis in services.msc,
> the "path to executable" is BLANK and is not an editable field. How do I
put
> the correct path into the service properties?
>
> Also noticed that (unlike a working server I saw at my office) there is no
> dependancies.
>
> Also noticed someone in another group with the same inital problem I had.
> pointed him to the Ghosting post you refered me to. Is this a virus or
> trojan going around? If I remember correctly, userinit.exe was replaced
with
> something like wsaupdate.exe.
>
> Thanks again for all your help
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Run services.msc, then have a look at the print spooler
> > service. It's supposed to invoke this file:
> >
> > C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
> >
> > In your case either the reference is wrong or the file is missing.
> >

> > "joeb1950" <joeb1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Userinit.exe corrected in registry and log on now works.
> > >
> > > But
> > > Now Spooler won't start:
> > >

> > > "Could not start the print spooler service on Local computer
> > >
> > > ERROR 3: the system cannot find the path specified"
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice

> > This

> > Settings

> > intentionally

> > services

> > because

I was able to copy the spooler key from a "healthy" win 2003 server and
import it, and the spooler now works.

Regarding imaging the server, you are absolutley correct, I should have this
and all the other PC's imaged.

The sad thing is that I actually bought Acronis 7.0 several months ago
intending to do just that, and never got around to it. No excuse, lesson
learned, thanks for your help.