kmode exception not handled during reinstallation of win2k

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hi. About a year ago, I changed my motherboard. As a result, booting into my
win2k partition resulted in an "Unaccessable Boot Device" error, which I
*think* I can remedy; if only setup would boot up. Setup only completes the
first 2 stages (copy files to disk, select windows install to repair). The
3rd stage, the white loading screen pops up, and the progress bar proceeds
to the point where the numlock/scrolllock/capslock lights flash, then the
kmode appears.

The error is as follows:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xEB4C1A59, 0x000000000000, 0x00000028)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Steps I've tried (I've been trying on and off for about a year now):
Recovery Console (Disable old motherboard ide chipset driver)
Repair Installation

Recently I found that it might be that the drives are too fast for my
motherboard (which I find ridiculous). The site suggested that I disable
UDMA and set the PIO = 4 for all harddrives I have, however the bios doesn't
include an option for disabling UDMA, only changing to SWDMA and MWDMA
modes.

My pc specs are as follows:
Before (As much as I can remember)
Pentium 3 Processor 533MHZ
256MB RAM
Epox EP-6VBA Motherboard
3 Harddrives, 2 Optical Drives
Dual boot Win98se/Win2k
2HDDs are on the P-IDE channel
Both Maxtors - 13 gig and 60 gig respectively
I think the 13 gig can do up to UDMA4 and the 60 gig can do up to UDMA6
(according to new motherboard bios)
1 HDD on a PCI-IDE Raid Card Extension
Western Digital 160 gigs (newish)
Optical Drives both on the S-IDE Channel

Current
The same as before except:
Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHZ
512MB RAM
Asus P4P800 SE Motherboard

I've included all that I can think of that might help. Please help me boot
into my win2k partition. If you need more info, just ask. I'll be more than
happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance,
>Simon

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention that this is a ghosted partition....
"Simon" <crysla@quicksilver.net.nz> wrote in message
Hi. About a year ago, I changed my motherboard. As a result, booting into my
win2k partition resulted in an "Unaccessable Boot Device" error, which I
*think* I can remedy; if only setup would boot up. Setup only completes the
first 2 stages (copy files to disk, select windows install to repair). The
3rd stage, the white loading screen pops up, and the progress bar proceeds
to the point where the numlock/scrolllock/capslock lights flash, then the
kmode appears.

The error is as follows:

STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xEB4C1A59, 0x000000000000, 0x00000028)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Steps I've tried (I've been trying on and off for about a year now):
Recovery Console (Disable old motherboard ide chipset driver)
Repair Installation

Recently I found that it might be that the drives are too fast for my
motherboard (which I find ridiculous). The site suggested that I disable
UDMA and set the PIO = 4 for all harddrives I have, however the bios doesn't
include an option for disabling UDMA, only changing to SWDMA and MWDMA
modes.

My pc specs are as follows:
Before (As much as I can remember)
Pentium 3 Processor 533MHZ
256MB RAM
Epox EP-6VBA Motherboard
3 Harddrives, 2 Optical Drives
Dual boot Win98se/Win2k
2HDDs are on the P-IDE channel
Both Maxtors - 13 gig and 60 gig respectively
I think the 13 gig can do up to UDMA4 and the 60 gig can do up to UDMA6
(according to new motherboard bios)
1 HDD on a PCI-IDE Raid Card Extension
Western Digital 160 gigs (newish)
Optical Drives both on the S-IDE Channel

Current
The same as before except:
Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHZ
512MB RAM
Asus P4P800 SE Motherboard

I've included all that I can think of that might help. Please help me boot
into my win2k partition. If you need more info, just ask. I'll be more than
happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance,
>Simon

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hokay, just a quick question. I installed a temp version of w2k to have
access to regedt32.exe. When i loaded up the system hive file i noticed that
the in \SYSTEM\MountedDevices key the dosdrive values for each drive letter
were different to the actual drive letter assignments i had before i changed
motherboards. if i do a manual edit of these values with my back up win2k
install (which has basically the same drive letter config as before) would
this help me install?