Roaming Profiles and Applications

das

I want to implement Roaming Profile on a 2000 server with XP clients. The XP
users have all the applications used to do their daily routine. When
implenting RUP can they still run their applications? If so what about the
PC's that dont have these apps installed, can thoses systems run the apps
when a user with a roaming profile logs on?

Most user preferences for applications will be stored in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive of the registry, or in the "application data"
directory in the profile. The HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive is what you see as
ntuser.dat inside the profile directory.

When an app is not installed on a workstation, the user settings for that
non-installed app won't cause any problems and they won't be lost.

If an app isn't installed on a machine, I think it's very unlikely that a
user will be able to run it.

Probably the biggest hurdle you will face is migrating the existing
profiles. Plan and test this phase.

Also, I think it's a big mistake to implement roaming profiles without also
doing folder redirection of the My Documents folder to a network location.
Also, ensure that your users are not in the habit of using the desktop as a
dumping ground for files. These files will form part of user profile and,
if you're not careful, will cause extremely long logon and logoff times.

There are group policies available in Active Directory to limit the size of
users' profiles. I'd recommend imposing some sort of limit so that users
get notified if their profiles become too large.

Oli

"DAS" <DAS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to implement Roaming Profile on a 2000 server with XP clients. The
>XP
> users have all the applications used to do their daily routine. When
> implenting RUP can they still run their applications? If so what about the
> PC's that dont have these apps installed, can thoses systems run the apps
> when a user with a roaming profile logs on?

das

So say I take a System and install what they need to function before I
implement AD can I use this profile as the template profile? If so would it
be as easy as replicating the process on other systems and have them use that
profile?