What RAID config would you use?

Hi I have a brand new Win2k3 standard server to install and before I start
laying down Windows I want to make sure I have the best RAID configuration
in place.

Basically the server is going to be added to our network as a member
server and is primarily going to be used to run Sage ACT! Contact Manager
database. I have 5 x 76GB SCSI drives in the box all connected to a LSI
MegaRAID controller. The "out of the box" config is a RAID1 mirror of the
first 2 drives and a RAID5 array made up of the remaining 3. I was going
to install the OS onto the RAID1 mirror and leave the RAID5 array to house
data.

This is probably the easiest configuration to implement but is it the best?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul.

Paul Kavanagh wrote:
> Hi I have a brand new Win2k3 standard server to install and before I
> start laying down Windows I want to make sure I have the best RAID
> configuration in place.
>
> Basically the server is going to be added to our network as a member
> server and is primarily going to be used to run Sage ACT! Contact
> Manager database. I have 5 x 76GB SCSI drives in the box all
> connected to a LSI MegaRAID controller. The "out of the box" config
> is a RAID1 mirror of the first 2 drives and a RAID5 array made up of
> the remaining 3. I was going to install the OS onto the RAID1 mirror
> and leave the RAID5 array to house data.
>
> This is probably the easiest configuration to implement but is it the
> best?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Paul.

That would be fine, as far as I can see. I'd make sure you have a global
hot-spare if at all possible, though.