iPaq 2210 directional button is loose! Please help.

June 3, 2005 3:26:13 PM

I just noticed that the joypad button on my iPaq 2210 has somewhat lost its
"elasticity" and is no longer springy in the up or down motion (left and
right is still ok). If I was to push the joypad button up (or down), it
would stay in that position.

Is it possible to fix this by myself? PPCtechs.com has replacement 2210
joypad buttons for sale
(http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=I22-...). Would this
fix the problem or would I have to send my PPC in for repair? (which is
something I really don't want to do since I need my PPC everyday.) Any help
is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

(*sigh* I'm having such a bad day today.)
June 4, 2005 12:14:34 AM

Prometheus wrote:
> I just noticed that the joypad button on my iPaq 2210 has somewhat lost its
> "elasticity" and is no longer springy in the up or down motion (left and
> right is still ok). If I was to push the joypad button up (or down), it
> would stay in that position.
>
> Is it possible to fix this by myself? PPCtechs.com has replacement 2210
> joypad buttons for sale
> (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=I22-...). Would this
> fix the problem or would I have to send my PPC in for repair? (which is
> something I really don't want to do since I need my PPC everyday.) Any help
> is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> (*sigh* I'm having such a bad day today.)

one of many design faults, along with the side grips. I'm using
replacement sidegrips.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Yeah, I bought sidegrips from PPCtech last October so I don't have to worry
about that but will that replacement navigational button be able to fix this
problem?

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> Prometheus wrote:
> > I just noticed that the joypad button on my iPaq 2210 has somewhat lost
its
> > "elasticity" and is no longer springy in the up or down motion (left and
> > right is still ok). If I was to push the joypad button up (or down), it
> > would stay in that position.
> >
> > Is it possible to fix this by myself? PPCtechs.com has replacement 2210
> > joypad buttons for sale
> > (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=I22-...). Would
this
> > fix the problem or would I have to send my PPC in for repair? (which is
> > something I really don't want to do since I need my PPC everyday.) Any
help
> > is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > (*sigh* I'm having such a bad day today.)
> >

> one of many design faults, along with the side grips. I'm using
> replacement sidegrips.
>
> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
June 4, 2005 1:53:38 PM

"Prometheus" <pcpartsforless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, I bought sidegrips from PPCtech last October so I don't have to
> worry
> about that but will that replacement navigational button be able to fix
> this
> problem?
>
> "Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
>> Prometheus wrote:
>> > I just noticed that the joypad button on my iPaq 2210 has somewhat lost
> its
>> > "elasticity" and is no longer springy in the up or down motion (left
>> > and
>> > right is still ok). If I was to push the joypad button up (or down),
>> > it
>> > would stay in that position.
>> >
>> > Is it possible to fix this by myself? PPCtechs.com has replacement 2210
>> > joypad buttons for sale
>> > (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=I22-...). Would
> this
>> > fix the problem or would I have to send my PPC in for repair? (which is
>> > something I really don't want to do since I need my PPC everyday.) Any
> help
>> > is greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance.
>> >
>> > (*sigh* I'm having such a bad day today.)
>> >

>> one of many design faults, along with the side grips. I'm using
>> replacement sidegrips.
>>
>> --
>> Marc
>> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

One of my 2210 replacement side grips needs replacing!!
June 4, 2005 4:26:27 PM

Does anyone know if this replacement button will fix this problem? I'm not
sure what gives the button its springy tension and I'm wondering if it's the
button itself or another mechanism in the PPC.

"jren57" <*****@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Prometheus" <pcpartsforless@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yeah, I bought sidegrips from PPCtech last October so I don't have to
> > worry
> > about that but will that replacement navigational button be able to fix
> > this
> > problem?
> >
> > "Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> > its

Would
> > this
Any
> > help

> >> one of many design faults, along with the side grips. I'm using
> >> replacement sidegrips.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Marc
> >> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
> >

> One of my 2210 replacement side grips needs replacing!!

June 5, 2005 1:36:53 AM

Prometheus wrote:
> Does anyone know if this replacement button will fix this problem? I'm not
> sure what gives the button its springy tension and I'm wondering if it's the
> button itself or another mechanism in the PPC.

My button pops all the way out, see if yours does and see if the
underside looks much different to the photos on the web of replacement
ones. I'm not sure if they're suppose to come out, but mine popped out
when it slid the case over it once, I assumed it was for cleaning.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:26:04 AM

Marc wrote:
> Prometheus wrote:
> > I just noticed that the joypad button on my iPaq 2210 has somewhat lost its
> > "elasticity" and is no longer springy in the up or down motion (left and
> > right is still ok). If I was to push the joypad button up (or down), it
> > would stay in that position.
> >
> > Is it possible to fix this by myself? PPCtechs.com has replacement 2210
> > joypad buttons for sale
> > (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=I22-...). Would this
> > fix the problem or would I have to send my PPC in for repair? (which is
> > something I really don't want to do since I need my PPC everyday.) Any help
> > is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > (*sigh* I'm having such a bad day today.)
> >

> one of many design faults, along with the side grips. I'm using
> replacement sidegrips.

I agree about that. I think it's the curse of mass consumers feedback
who want play games on a pocketpc. It's one of the things that happen
when a device crosses over from its useful niche to an uncouth
mainstream popularity. It's the one thing about my h2210 that I deride
the most, the directional button, and the reason is how difficult it is
to scroll text correctly with it; I have to concentrate to make sure
it's getting a "down" instruction to scroll down the page rather than a
"right" or "left" to change pages, and yet it often gets it wrong, as
if the requirement for concentration and dexterity was not bad enough.

> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
June 6, 2005 3:53:16 AM

Mine doesn't pop out. It does come out a bit more but there are 3 "prongs"
that are keeping the button latched in. I can probably pry it off
forcefully but I don't want to do that just yet. From what I can see, it
does look exactly like the replacement button being sold at ppctechs.com and
the website does say it's an "HP h2210 OEM replacement" button.
Unfortunately, I still don't know if replacing the button will help restore
the springy tension.

Marc, would it be possible for you to drop me a email with pics of the
button popped out as well as what you can see inside the unit once the
button is out?

!