Cross Domain Connection Issues

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

I have 2 domains, Domain A has 2 W2003 DC's and Domain B has 1 W2K DC.

The 2003 servers have just been upgraded and there was a 2 way trust between
the Domains..

This 2 way trust was reset up with the New Domain A 2003 server

When I log onto Domain B client as a Domain B user and I try to acess a
folder on Domain A I get a "there are currently no logon servers available
to service the logon request" Error

When I log on to Domain B as a Domain A user everything works fine.

When I go onto Domain B's Trust MMC and click verify for Domain A i get the
following error.."the secure channel (sc) reset on the domain controller to
failed with the error there are currently no logon servers available to
service the logon request"

Help... Any Ideas

Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

You could try to recreate that trust or use nltest to reset it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158148

More than likely you have a name resolution problem to fix first - either
netbios or dns. Try to ping each domain controller in domain A from domain B
by IP address and name, both netbios and fully qualified domain name to see
what happens. If using wins, have the wins servers in each domain replicate
with the wins server in the other domain. Make sure the Windows 2000 domain
controller is configured to have a secondary dns zone for the Windows 2003
domain and that it is replicating properly. The Windows 2003 domain can
simply use conditional forwarding to the Windows 2000 domain controller for
dns name resolution of that domain. If you are not using wins you can try
using a lmhosts file on the pdc fsmo in each domain to point to the pdc fsmo
in the other domain. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314108 --- how to
create lmhosts file. Note that syntax is case sensitive and that the saved
lmhosts file must not have an extension.

"Blaze" <asda@ssfsdf.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 domains, Domain A has 2 W2003 DC's and Domain B has 1 W2K DC.
>
> The 2003 servers have just been upgraded and there was a 2 way trust
> between the Domains..
>
> This 2 way trust was reset up with the New Domain A 2003 server
>
> When I log onto Domain B client as a Domain B user and I try to acess a
> folder on Domain A I get a "there are currently no logon servers available
> to service the logon request" Error
>
> When I log on to Domain B as a Domain A user everything works fine.
>
> When I go onto Domain B's Trust MMC and click verify for Domain A i get
> the following error.."the secure channel (sc) reset on the domain
> controller to failed with the error there are currently no logon servers
> available to service the logon request"
>
> Help... Any Ideas
>
> Thanks

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Thanks for the info Steven... but I can from each domain find the other
servers and clients on the other domain by pinging the client/server names
and I get an ip resolution..?

would this be the issue you are trying to resolve ?

Thanks

> You could try to recreate that trust or use nltest to reset it.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;158148
>
> More than likely you have a name resolution problem to fix first - either
> netbios or dns. Try to ping each domain controller in domain A from domain
> B by IP address and name, both netbios and fully qualified domain name to
> see what happens. If using wins, have the wins servers in each domain
> replicate with the wins server in the other domain. Make sure the Windows
> 2000 domain controller is configured to have a secondary dns zone for the
> Windows 2003 domain and that it is replicating properly. The Windows 2003
> domain can simply use conditional forwarding to the Windows 2000 domain
> controller for dns name resolution of that domain. If you are not using
> wins you can try using a lmhosts file on the pdc fsmo in each domain to
> point to the pdc fsmo in the other domain. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314108 --- how to
> create lmhosts file. Note that syntax is case sensitive and that the saved
> lmhosts file must not have an extension.
>
> "Blaze" <asda@ssfsdf.com> wrote in message
>>I have 2 domains, Domain A has 2 W2003 DC's and Domain B has 1 W2K DC.
>>
>> The 2003 servers have just been upgraded and there was a 2 way trust
>> between the Domains..
>>
>> This 2 way trust was reset up with the New Domain A 2003 server
>>
>> When I log onto Domain B client as a Domain B user and I try to acess a
>> folder on Domain A I get a "there are currently no logon servers
>> available to service the logon request" Error
>>
>> When I log on to Domain B as a Domain A user everything works fine.
>>
>> When I go onto Domain B's Trust MMC and click verify for Domain A i get
>> the following error.."the secure channel (sc) reset on the domain
>> controller to failed with the error there are currently no logon servers
>> available to service the logon request"
>>
>> Help... Any Ideas
>>
>> Thanks

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Now that Steven has led you to rule out name resolution, let's take a look
at some binding order on a problem machine. Go to Start > Settings >
double-click on Network Connections > Advanced > Settings > Local Area
Network connection adapter should be listed on top. Any other connections
should be listed beneath.

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows Server 2003/2000/NT

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Mmmmm ... getting intresting...I will check it out tomorrow, as the one
server has 1 nic and the other 1 as well I think the nics will be on top

"Todd J Heron" <todd_heron_no_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Now that Steven has led you to rule out name resolution, let's take a look
> at some binding order on a problem machine. Go to Start > Settings >
> double-click on Network Connections > Advanced > Settings > Local Area
> Network connection adapter should be listed on top. Any other connections
> should be listed beneath.
>
> --
> Todd J Heron, MCSE
> Windows Server 2003/2000/NT
> This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Let us know what you find out!

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows Server 2003/2000/NT
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights

BlaZe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.networking (More info?)

Ok... Thanks for all the help people... After the DNS issues and the Binding
order.. I decided to reset the Trusts between the Doamins and its all
started working fine :)

Thanks again... because with out you lot where the heck would we be...

Cheers