Sign in with
Your question

Boring time for hardware enthusiasts

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2007 5:18:16 PM

Was just sittin' here thinking how incredibly boring the past 4 months have been. The last big hardware launch was nVidia's 8800 series. Quad core was kinda big... but unaffordable for most of us. And we still have to wait another 2-3 months for something new. In years past we've almost always had something new to play with every 2-3 months.

Is anyone else as bored as I am? The only new thing i've had to play with is Vista. But I'm already tired of that...
March 7, 2007 5:37:42 PM

You need to get a E4300 to overclock with then it's the latest hardware toy to play with and affordable.
March 7, 2007 5:55:35 PM

I feel ya man! I'm in Illinois too, and its a bit ridiculous eh? :evil: 
Related resources
March 7, 2007 6:24:43 PM

Quote:
Was just sittin' here thinking how incredibly boring the past 4 months have been. The last big hardware launch was nVidia's 8800 series. Quad core was kinda big... but unaffordable for most of us. And we still have to wait another 2-3 months for something new. In years past we've almost always had something new to play with every 2-3 months.

Is anyone else as bored as I am? The only new thing i've had to play with is Vista. But I'm already tired of that...

Screw you, I'm running xp on a P4. :tongue:
March 7, 2007 6:29:55 PM

Quote:

Have you tried putting your tongue on the leads of a 9V battery?
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2007 6:30:28 PM

Hmm, I agree. Not a whole lot happening. This probably won't be a popular thing to say but this "boredom" is kinda why I was interesting in the 4x4. At least it had/has the potential for something out of the ordinary to play with, but it seems to be 'meh' anymore. I am interested in the 89xx gpu's and seeing what they can do, hoping to *justify* the cash for an upgrade to DX10. Reading the news, it seems that 2H 07 is when things will pick up again.
March 7, 2007 6:35:15 PM

Yes, overall it's getting pretty boring, and I hope that at least, the first K10 benchmarks will be filtering pretty soon so we can have something to dream and talk about because the rest of the year is supposed to be much better.
March 7, 2007 6:38:04 PM

Quote:

Have you? =P
March 7, 2007 6:46:35 PM

Quote:

Have you? =P

I don't think it's a question of whether he's done that... it's a question of what voltage he used. Judging by his fro, I'd have to say he tried a 24V battery.
March 7, 2007 6:56:37 PM

Maybe two... one on the top and one on the bottom of his tongue.. Sorry Baron.. I can't resist.
March 7, 2007 7:03:11 PM

Quote:

We haven't had a lack of new releases, just a lack of GOOD releases.

- AMD 4x4
- X2 6000+
- E4300
- AMD 690 *edit*
- 680i

(680i was entertaining, but marred by the dissapointing price point, lackluster performance, and various bugs)

I finally installed Vista last night. I started playing with it, and I wa getting pretty excited until I realized CPU-z and nTune won't work with it. I promptly restarted in XP. *sigh*

I was looking forward to R600, but I guess we're just going to have to wait for that. AMD's been dissapointing, and I think they can be partly blamed for the boredom. It seems C2D silenced them. I want to know what they have up their sleeves. 4x4 and the X2 6000+ were depressing. It reminded me of when Intel released the EE965. What a waste.

I'm looking forward to R600, Penryn, Barcelona, and Bearlake. It should be an exciting 2H 2007.
March 7, 2007 7:05:17 PM

well hardware is way a head of software is part of it
March 7, 2007 7:08:21 PM

Quote:

I did it a lot when I was a kid....

You'd be amazed of how tasty they could be :D 
March 7, 2007 7:36:58 PM

Quote:

Over clock you're computer and then try to make it completely silent using air cooling. That should keep you occupied for a while! It's certainly keeping me buzzy!
March 7, 2007 7:46:16 PM

Quote:

Have you? =P

I don't think it's a question of whether he's done that... it's a question of what voltage he used. Judging by his fro, I'd have to say he tried a 24V battery.

Perhaps 120V house line??
March 7, 2007 7:55:17 PM

probably
March 7, 2007 8:07:54 PM

Quote:

Have you? =P

Perhaps 120V house line??

Maybe that would explain why Ameren thought they had to raise my electric rates. :lol: 

Wow, I am so funny.
:oops: 
March 7, 2007 8:10:07 PM

Predicting the demise of AMD can kill some time. lordpope recently posted an interesting thread.
March 7, 2007 8:18:42 PM

Heck of a boring. Nothing new coming out. Last time I was excited was Conroe. Quad is just too much $$$. Same with DX10 cards. Vista was a stuff up. Cant afford a plasma TV. We need some NEW, cheap, fast hardware to play with and OC. Thats not boring.
March 7, 2007 9:19:20 PM

Quote:
Predicting the demise of AMD can kill some time. lordpope recently posted an interesting thread.

Way too early for that unless, (DragonSpayer wants it to be last week) Barcelona and the R600 flop then it might be time to dicuss the end of AMD.

I am sure Baron can explain to you how they are both going to be smash hits and vault AMD to tremendous market share and profitability "the likes of which god himself has never seen". (Baron, sorry I couldn't resist interjecting the quote from Dune it just seemed to fit so well)
March 7, 2007 10:15:02 PM

Quote:

tried these on a watch battery.... kinda fun :D 
March 7, 2007 11:00:14 PM

Quote:

not me I JUST GOT MY 88GTS GPU TODAY :lol: 

and i cant even mess with it too much as i am cooking
chops on the grill :evil: 
March 7, 2007 11:08:28 PM

So Sirheck,

What you are saying is that you have a new 88xx series card that HAS ARRIVED at your home and IS WITHIN YOUR GRASP and you are cooking?

Dude you need to send me your GEEK card right now for disposal!!
Not sure but you may have to send me your MAN card for disposal too!!

I think we should take a vote on that last one!! :) 

I hang my head in shame FOR you!!! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8) 8) 8) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8) 8) 8)

edited: to make it totally apparent the point I am trying to get across :) 
March 7, 2007 11:14:40 PM

You see Sirheck,

I am a little conflicted about the MAN card removal. Seeing that you are on the grill you do gain points there. However I really have to draw into question the rest :)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 7, 2007 11:17:00 PM

HEY IM HUNGRY! and so are the oldlady and kids. :lol: 

the card is installed but i havent had time to
run any benchies or play any games yet.

just got the latest drivers. and ati tool installed.

tried the nv stuff and all it does is lock up the whole computer :x .

hell i havent even got my normal cpu overclock
since i reinstalled windows a month ago.

my x2 4400 is at stock 2.2 and so is this new gpu. :cry: 
March 7, 2007 11:18:28 PM

Sorry Rob..

By the description you gave I was thinking how very Pulp Fiction of you!!

Quote:
Go for it. I will even provide you with the plane ticket and then after I get through whipping your ass I will tie you down to a chair
Quote taken out of context on purpose :) 

This statement above gives me flashbacks of your having StrangeStranger tied up in your basement and you being the Gimp!!! :lol:  :lol: 
March 7, 2007 11:21:22 PM

I like how you threw in the "old lady" comment there. That might be a shameless save on the old MAN card.. :) 
March 7, 2007 11:29:43 PM

well she is starting to get some grey :lol: 
she is 30 or 31? :cry: 

i got grey when i was around 20 about 15 years ago 8O
March 7, 2007 11:41:42 PM

I'm not really board with hardware, Just software.
March 7, 2007 11:47:05 PM

Lx,

I would like to see M$ make some significant CORE changes to the performance of their OS.

Seems like things are getting alot prettier but not faster!! I do not like that trend...

Even the *nix crowd have been pretty vigilant at making the GUI better but not so much faster.
March 7, 2007 11:50:05 PM

MPJ,

The thing that bores me to the utmost is the aging HD tech.

Hard drives are Sllllooooooooowwwwww in comparison to most tech these days. That is where we need to make improvements.

Could you imagine a HD that could keep up fully with any one of todays spec'd interfaces?

SATA II rates would even be nice!!
March 8, 2007 12:13:12 AM

How could u be bored with so many peeps needing our help?

What about donating ur time to ur LOCAL RED CROSS CHAPTER?
There's always a need to make calls to ppl to pls give blood.

Then there's food banks, community shelters, and your local police and fire depts....u could offer computer services or help with inventory or feeding people.

C'mon bro get involved in your local community.
March 8, 2007 12:29:31 AM

How can we be bored with all the arguing, posturing, and speculation going on in regards to AMD vs. Intel? Between here and Sharidouche's site I get my fill of evening entertainment every day. It's hilarious. :lol: 

Aside from that I too have recently acquired and 8800GTS (320MB model, but then I'm only playing at 1680x1050) and am having a blast with that....now if I can just get a decent motherboard I'll be happy....
March 8, 2007 12:39:30 AM

When I was a kid, it was the only way to test the battery to see if it had any juice left.
So, what flavor would you call a 9V battery?
March 8, 2007 12:57:16 AM

I'm with Ches, we need to see some innovation in the mass storage area. I mean, the 16MB cache Raptors were...ok...but that's really not all that new of an idea, the 7200RPM drives have had 16MB caches for a while.

I'd like to see RAM disk drives get bigger, maybe 32GB or so. Put Windows on a regular Raptor and change the My Programs directory to the RAM disk drive. That'd be sweet.

Hell, we have DX10, Conroe, 680i, Blu-Ray, 2GB of system memory has become the norm, and we even captured Hussein, yet we're still using hard drives and interfaces from 5-10 years ago! Come on people, let's get Solid State to the masses!
March 8, 2007 1:09:04 AM

i think this is the proverbial "calm before the storm". supposedly, the second half of the year will have so many releases it will keep us all busy for a while.
March 8, 2007 1:29:55 AM

Quote:
So Sirheck,

What you are saying is that you have a new 88xx series card that HAS ARRIVED at your home and IS WITHIN YOUR GRASP and you are cooking?

Dude you need to send me your GEEK card right now for disposal!!
Not sure but you may have to send me your MAN card for disposal too!!

I think we should take a vote on that last one!! :) 

I hang my head in shame FOR you!!! :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8) 8) 8) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8) 8) 8)

edited: to make it totally apparent the point I am trying to get across :) 

Hey... I can relate to his demise. It took me 2 days to install my 8800 GTX because I couldn't find the time. I eventually had to take a morning off to get it done.
March 8, 2007 1:32:53 AM

Quote:
How could u be bored with so many peeps needing our help?

What about donating ur time to ur LOCAL RED CROSS CHAPTER?
There's always a need to make calls to ppl to pls give blood.

Then there's food banks, community shelters, and your local police and fire depts....u could offer computer services or help with inventory or feeding people.

C'mon bro get involved in your local community.

are you f'ing kidding me? is this dude really telling me to be a charity worker in the CPU forum?

buahahaha.... buahahaha...

he knows me not.

p.s., I don't give a rats ass about homeless shelters or anyone who's homeless. if you're in the USA, there's no excuse for being homeless. i do however give blood when the Red Cross bus rolls around to our office.
March 8, 2007 1:36:40 AM

Quote:
MPJ,

Hard drives are Sllllooooooooowwwwww in comparison to most tech these days. That is where we need to make improvements.

Could you imagine a HD that could keep up fully with any one of todays spec'd interfaces?

yeah, hard drive speeds haven't made the same "leaps" in technology that everything else has. but to be fair, storage has been more of a priority than speed. in terms of storage capacity, hard drives have made huge strides. but worry not, hard drive speed will start to take the front seat very soon...
a c 471 à CPUs
March 8, 2007 1:48:08 AM

Quote:
Was just sittin' here thinking how incredibly boring the past 4 months have been.

That means you should have more money to spend on other things. :wink:
March 8, 2007 1:48:37 AM

Quote:
MPJ,

They're comming Ches. The solid state drives the governments been overpaying for, for years are here, they're still just to expensive. But thats going to be changing over the next 12 months. :D 

CPU SHEPEEMUU, the ram dirves are going to be giving us the biggest acrross the board performance increases weve seen in a while. Enough even to make QFX look good.
March 8, 2007 2:21:23 AM

Now lets not get crazy,

Nothing can make QFX look good! :) 
March 8, 2007 2:31:25 AM

Quote:
Now lets not get crazy,

Not even these?[/insert 'innocent' emoticon]

March 8, 2007 2:58:38 AM

Quote:

I agree. It has been alittle boring without the masses of new products being consistanly released.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what ever happened to the "Hybrid" harddrives that I heard so much about 6 or 7 months ago? It was made to sound like they would have been released around this time period.

Another thing I was hoping would appear soon is, that the GFX card manufactures would start aiming for power efficiency. I want to see a 8800GT in 45nm with a max consumption of 25 Watts. :lol:  Unfortunatly, wishful thinking won't get me (or them) anywhere.
March 8, 2007 3:24:31 AM

Quote:
Now lets not get crazy,

Not even these?[/insert 'innocent' emoticon]

those are called (BEER GOGGLES) :lol: 
March 8, 2007 3:57:47 AM

Quote:

those are called (BEER GOGGLES) :lol: 

Yup.

I think AMD should package these with every QFX they sell. They cant really help, but maybe they can make the amount of electricity that "beast" devours appear smaller.
March 8, 2007 4:04:33 AM

would they help BM? :lol: 
March 8, 2007 4:10:27 AM

Quote:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
March 8, 2007 4:20:38 AM

man i just got an 88gts 640mb gpu today.

so far it doesnt impress me too much :cry: 

i could have kept my 68gt,s and ran about the same :x

ill do/try some more tweaking and see how it goes :?

two examples
3dmark 05 68gt,s 10000
8800 11000

fear benchie=the same only with one 68gt :x
March 8, 2007 4:26:53 AM

Quote:

:)  :)  Nope, a lobotomy might --- but then again how do you lobotomize empty space?

:lol:  hows it goin man?

have seen you posting but havent really gotten involved.
you and the cpu thing= OUT THERE :lol: 

? for you i have JUST gotten a 88gts and well it sucks.

i do have my x2 4400 back at stock.
should i bump it back up to 2.6.

never seen any diff before with my single 68gt or both.
wonder if the new gpu is a bottleneck some how?

also im on a new 16x10 monitor/
though it only made a diff in oblivion and of course f.s.x.
with the 68gt.

hell i cant even run hdr and a.a. in oblivion :x
!