Boring time for hardware enthusiasts

mpjesse

Splendid
Was just sittin' here thinking how incredibly boring the past 4 months have been. The last big hardware launch was nVidia's 8800 series. Quad core was kinda big... but unaffordable for most of us. And we still have to wait another 2-3 months for something new. In years past we've almost always had something new to play with every 2-3 months.

Is anyone else as bored as I am? The only new thing i've had to play with is Vista. But I'm already tired of that...

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Was just sittin' here thinking how incredibly boring the past 4 months have been. The last big hardware launch was nVidia's 8800 series. Quad core was kinda big... but unaffordable for most of us. And we still have to wait another 2-3 months for something new. In years past we've almost always had something new to play with every 2-3 months.

Is anyone else as bored as I am? The only new thing i've had to play with is Vista. But I'm already tired of that...
Screw you, I'm running xp on a P4. :tongue:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Have you tried putting your tongue on the leads of a 9V battery?

Hmm, I agree. Not a whole lot happening. This probably won't be a popular thing to say but this "boredom" is kinda why I was interesting in the 4x4. At least it had/has the potential for something out of the ordinary to play with, but it seems to be 'meh' anymore. I am interested in the 89xx gpu's and seeing what they can do, hoping to *justify* the cash for an upgrade to DX10. Reading the news, it seems that 2H 07 is when things will pick up again.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yes, overall it's getting pretty boring, and I hope that at least, the first K10 benchmarks will be filtering pretty soon so we can have something to dream and talk about because the rest of the year is supposed to be much better.

Have you? =P

mpjesse

Splendid

Have you? =P

I don't think it's a question of whether he's done that... it's a question of what voltage he used. Judging by his fro, I'd have to say he tried a 24V battery.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

We haven't had a lack of new releases, just a lack of GOOD releases.

- AMD 4x4
- X2 6000+
- E4300
- AMD 690 *edit*
- 680i

(680i was entertaining, but marred by the dissapointing price point, lackluster performance, and various bugs)

I finally installed Vista last night. I started playing with it, and I wa getting pretty excited until I realized CPU-z and nTune won't work with it. I promptly restarted in XP. *sigh*

I was looking forward to R600, but I guess we're just going to have to wait for that. AMD's been dissapointing, and I think they can be partly blamed for the boredom. It seems C2D silenced them. I want to know what they have up their sleeves. 4x4 and the X2 6000+ were depressing. It reminded me of when Intel released the EE965. What a waste.

I'm looking forward to R600, Penryn, Barcelona, and Bearlake. It should be an exciting 2H 2007.

sareiodata

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

Over clock you're computer and then try to make it completely silent using air cooling. That should keep you occupied for a while! It's certainly keeping me buzzy!

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007

Have you? =P

I don't think it's a question of whether he's done that... it's a question of what voltage he used. Judging by his fro, I'd have to say he tried a 24V battery.

Perhaps 120V house line??

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Have you? =P

Perhaps 120V house line??

Maybe that would explain why Ameren thought they had to raise my electric rates. :lol:

Wow, I am so funny.
:oops:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Heck of a boring. Nothing new coming out. Last time I was excited was Conroe. Quad is just too much $$$. Same with DX10 cards. Vista was a stuff up. Cant afford a plasma TV. We need some NEW, cheap, fast hardware to play with and OC. Thats not boring.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Predicting the demise of AMD can kill some time. lordpope recently posted an interesting thread.

Way too early for that unless, (DragonSpayer wants it to be last week) Barcelona and the R600 flop then it might be time to dicuss the end of AMD.

I am sure Baron can explain to you how they are both going to be smash hits and vault AMD to tremendous market share and profitability "the likes of which god himself has never seen". (Baron, sorry I couldn't resist interjecting the quote from Dune it just seemed to fit so well)

fifth_pineapple

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007

tried these on a watch battery.... kinda fun :D

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

not me I JUST GOT MY 88GTS GPU TODAY :lol:

and i cant even mess with it too much as i am cooking
chops on the grill :evil:

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
So Sirheck,

What you are saying is that you have a new 88xx series card that HAS ARRIVED at your home and IS WITHIN YOUR GRASP and you are cooking?

Dude you need to send me your GEEK card right now for disposal!!
Not sure but you may have to send me your MAN card for disposal too!!

I think we should take a vote on that last one!! :)

I hang my head in shame FOR you!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8)

edited: to make it totally apparent the point I am trying to get across :)

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
You see Sirheck,

I am a little conflicted about the MAN card removal. Seeing that you are on the grill you do gain points there. However I really have to draw into question the rest :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
HEY IM HUNGRY! and so are the oldlady and kids. :lol:

the card is installed but i havent had time to
run any benchies or play any games yet.

just got the latest drivers. and ati tool installed.

tried the nv stuff and all it does is lock up the whole computer :x .

hell i havent even got my normal cpu overclock
since i reinstalled windows a month ago.

my x2 4400 is at stock 2.2 and so is this new gpu. :cry: