Predict the day AMD will close its doors.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Since its pretty much a given on this board that AMD is going out of business shortly...SO lets start a pool as to the exact day that AMD goes belly up and we are down to just INTEL.

I am thinking May 10 2008...

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Since its pretty much a given on this board that AMD is going out of business shortly...lso ets start a pool as to the exact day that AMD goes belly up and we are down to just INTEL.

Hopefully never.

mpjesse

Splendid
Since its pretty much a given on this board that AMD is going out of business shortly...lso ets start a pool as to the exact day that AMD goes belly up and we are down to just INTEL.

*copy and pastes quote into Outlook appointment for May 10th, 2008.*

not sure why I'm bothering... I'm sure you'll be gone by then.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

*copy and pastes quote into Outlook appointment for May 10th, 2008.*

not sure why I'm bothering... I'm sure you'll be gone by then.

i put that date in my outlook calendar too...

remember when 3DFX bought out STB... and was out of business not long after... Nvidia was pressuring them hard with prices and as uperior product.... sounds similar

azza21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Uh... So where is it pretty much given on this board? Yeah i've seen people concerned with the way things are going for AMD on this forum but i havn't seen anyone as sceptical as you seem to be. I'm of the opinion people are optimistic about what AMD can bring to the table i.e. the barcelona chip and the new r600 all be it slightly anxious because people havn't seen any benchies yet and do not know what to expect. The stock happenings at AMD concerns poeople but i still do not believe people think AMD will be out of business anytime soon.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Uh... So where is it pretty much given on this board? Yeah i've seen people concerned with the way things are going for AMD on this forum but i havn't seen anyone as sceptical as you seem to be. I'm of the opinion people are optimistic about what AMD can bring to the table i.e. the barcelona chip and the new r600 all be it slightly anxious because people havn't seen any benchies yet and do not know what to expect. The stock happenings at AMD concerns poeople but i still do not believe people think AMD will be out of business anytime soon.

Ok here is a real possible scenario that will doom AMD to 3DFX purgatory

1. R600 is slower and hotter than G80 and looses
2. K10 is slower than Conroe
3. Intel pushed out Penryn early with higher clocks and 15% cheaper than current C2D
4. AMD has low yields with k10
5. DELL goes back to all INTEL
6. AMD out of business May 10 2008

4745454b

Titan
Dammit MP, yout stole my line...

@poop, I'd tell you when they will close up shop, but you won't be around to hear about it.

As a side note, I heard that AMD might be bought out. I don't think that counts as them going out of business. The investors who buy them out will keep it going, the only thing that changes is whos name is on the top floor.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
omg! amd is not going out fof business!

dell might buy it?

People dont buy companies that are going out of business and the stock is tanking bad......they can wait till AMD closes it doors then buy the chunks it wants...

azza21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007

3. Intel pushed out Penryn early with higher clocks and 15% cheaper than current C2D

Tell me where it is pretty much given on this board that AMD are going out of business...?

As too your list of thing that can happen are all ifs and buts, i find it very unlikely everyone of them scenario's are going to come true. AMd won't bring the Barcelona to the market until its faster then the conroe there wouldn't be much point. Even if the things u listed above do in the unlikely event happen amd still have other sectors like the mobile business, handheld gaming their entering to keep them going and other segments. Hah maybe i'm wrong, i hope not though i'm about to put some share into amd soon :)

ha why the feck am i even debating this crap :?

StringCheesian

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007

7. Without competition keeping them honest, Intel takes advantage of their new monopoly position by raising prices. CPU innovation begins to slow down due to lack of pressure from competitors.

Yeah, sounds great! Monopolies rock! Die AMD, die!

Look, AMD's processors may be second rate right now, but that's no reason to hope they go out of business.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
speculating... IF amd somehow does go under in the next few years, bankruptcy, liquidating everything, whatever else... and noone buys them either... ...what will then happen with intel?... at that point they would be close enough to a monopoly in this market, to actually be a monopoly then... they would have virtually all the market share in the cpu segment... there wouldnt be really any high end gpu releases anymore, not competetively priced anyhow... stagnation would definetly happen more... ...for amd, the worst that is likely to happen is a loss in market share again, and anything else within those lines.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
This is the medicine for you; take it once in your life and you'll be just fine:
2COLT-DETECTIVE-Special-HW%5B.jpg

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

7. Without competition keeping them honest, Intel takes advantage of their new monopoly position by raising prices. CPU innovation begins to slow down due to lack of pressure from competitors.

Yeah, sounds great! Monopolies rock! Die AMD, die!

Look, AMD's processors may be second rate right now, but that's no reason to hope they go out of business.

yea... i have been called the NEW 9 INCH.... but i am hoping that AMD goes out of business... ok