Sign in with
Your question

Predict the day AMD will close its doors.

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2007 6:42:36 PM

Since its pretty much a given on this board that AMD is going out of business shortly...SO lets start a pool as to the exact day that AMD goes belly up and we are down to just INTEL.

I am thinking May 10 2008...
March 7, 2007 6:46:10 PM

Quote:
Since its pretty much a given on this board that AMD is going out of business shortly...lso ets start a pool as to the exact day that AMD goes belly up and we are down to just INTEL.

Hopefully never.
March 7, 2007 6:48:34 PM

Quote:
Since its pretty much a given on this board that AMD is going out of business shortly...lso ets start a pool as to the exact day that AMD goes belly up and we are down to just INTEL.

*copy and pastes quote into Outlook appointment for May 10th, 2008.*

not sure why I'm bothering... I'm sure you'll be gone by then.
Related resources
March 7, 2007 6:51:38 PM

Quote:

*copy and pastes quote into Outlook appointment for May 10th, 2008.*

not sure why I'm bothering... I'm sure you'll be gone by then.

i put that date in my outlook calendar too...

remember when 3DFX bought out STB... and was out of business not long after... Nvidia was pressuring them hard with prices and as uperior product.... sounds similar
March 7, 2007 6:55:51 PM

Uh... So where is it pretty much given on this board? Yeah i've seen people concerned with the way things are going for AMD on this forum but i havn't seen anyone as sceptical as you seem to be. I'm of the opinion people are optimistic about what AMD can bring to the table i.e. the barcelona chip and the new r600 all be it slightly anxious because people havn't seen any benchies yet and do not know what to expect. The stock happenings at AMD concerns poeople but i still do not believe people think AMD will be out of business anytime soon.
March 7, 2007 6:57:26 PM

this look bleak

AMD may be gone soon
March 7, 2007 6:58:45 PM

I think there about to take the bull by the horns. So i predict they start doing great soon. :p 
March 7, 2007 6:59:37 PM

shocking, there's always one!
March 7, 2007 7:02:27 PM

One what? I am almost always right. Unless i am working from memory then it is ify. :p 
March 7, 2007 7:03:28 PM

Who are AMD?
March 7, 2007 7:04:48 PM

Quote:
Uh... So where is it pretty much given on this board? Yeah i've seen people concerned with the way things are going for AMD on this forum but i havn't seen anyone as sceptical as you seem to be. I'm of the opinion people are optimistic about what AMD can bring to the table i.e. the barcelona chip and the new r600 all be it slightly anxious because people havn't seen any benchies yet and do not know what to expect. The stock happenings at AMD concerns poeople but i still do not believe people think AMD will be out of business anytime soon.

Ok here is a real possible scenario that will doom AMD to 3DFX purgatory

1. R600 is slower and hotter than G80 and looses
2. K10 is slower than Conroe
3. Intel pushed out Penryn early with higher clocks and 15% cheaper than current C2D
4. AMD has low yields with k10
5. DELL goes back to all INTEL
6. AMD out of business May 10 2008
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 7, 2007 7:07:18 PM

Dammit MP, yout stole my line...

@poop, I'd tell you when they will close up shop, but you won't be around to hear about it.

As a side note, I heard that AMD might be bought out. I don't think that counts as them going out of business. The investors who buy them out will keep it going, the only thing that changes is whos name is on the top floor.
March 7, 2007 7:07:57 PM

omg! amd is not going out fof business!

dell might buy it?
March 7, 2007 7:09:28 PM

Quote:
You should stop making stupid topics like that....

So u think AMD is doing so well that talk of their impending doom is stupid?

ok spunky
March 7, 2007 7:15:35 PM

Quote:
omg! amd is not going out fof business!

dell might buy it?

People dont buy companies that are going out of business and the stock is tanking bad......they can wait till AMD closes it doors then buy the chunks it wants...
March 7, 2007 7:17:15 PM

Someboby please drug test this young man asap 8O
March 7, 2007 7:17:47 PM

Quote:

3. Intel pushed out Penryn early with higher clocks and 15% cheaper than current C2D

Tell me where it is pretty much given on this board that AMD are going out of business...?

As too your list of thing that can happen are all ifs and buts, i find it very unlikely everyone of them scenario's are going to come true. AMd won't bring the Barcelona to the market until its faster then the conroe there wouldn't be much point. Even if the things u listed above do in the unlikely event happen amd still have other sectors like the mobile business, handheld gaming their entering to keep them going and other segments. Hah maybe i'm wrong, i hope not though i'm about to put some share into amd soon :) 

ha why the feck am i even debating this crap :?
March 7, 2007 7:18:00 PM

Quote:

7. Without competition keeping them honest, Intel takes advantage of their new monopoly position by raising prices. CPU innovation begins to slow down due to lack of pressure from competitors.

Yeah, sounds great! Monopolies rock! Die AMD, die!

Look, AMD's processors may be second rate right now, but that's no reason to hope they go out of business.
March 7, 2007 7:19:03 PM

Please stop posting.
March 7, 2007 7:20:19 PM

speculating... IF amd somehow does go under in the next few years, bankruptcy, liquidating everything, whatever else... and noone buys them either... ...what will then happen with intel?... at that point they would be close enough to a monopoly in this market, to actually be a monopoly then... they would have virtually all the market share in the cpu segment... there wouldnt be really any high end gpu releases anymore, not competetively priced anyhow... stagnation would definetly happen more... ...for amd, the worst that is likely to happen is a loss in market share again, and anything else within those lines.
March 7, 2007 7:32:32 PM

Quote:
Please stop posting.

ok let my people get back to you on when that will be happening...stay close to the phone
March 7, 2007 7:34:22 PM

This is the medicine for you; take it once in your life and you'll be just fine:
March 7, 2007 7:34:34 PM

Quote:

7. Without competition keeping them honest, Intel takes advantage of their new monopoly position by raising prices. CPU innovation begins to slow down due to lack of pressure from competitors.

Yeah, sounds great! Monopolies rock! Die AMD, die!

Look, AMD's processors may be second rate right now, but that's no reason to hope they go out of business.

yea... i have been called the NEW 9 INCH.... but i am hoping that AMD goes out of business... ok
March 7, 2007 7:36:30 PM

Quote:
This is the medicine for you; take it once in your life and you'll be just fine:

m25 i do no wish to develop a problem with u... u are very well respected

and i do not want to soil your reputation
March 7, 2007 7:37:35 PM

I'm not a scientist, I'm just a doctor (in this case only) :D 
March 7, 2007 7:41:09 PM

Dont be a bunch of fools. There's too much IP just to close doors. AMD will make an excellent private equity buyout target. The vultures are already hovering around Dell. Could that be a combo?

I'm not sure that Intel would/could be a bidder. My money is on a PE deal before year end. Mark my words.
March 7, 2007 7:45:22 PM

Quote:
as always prozac you make a point using common sense. ATI do make the xbox gpu as well as the nintendo wii one. also, they have some of the best gfx cards for the money in the pc market, then of course there is the chipset business and whatever else they sell in the consumer electronic segment.

it therefore raises the question, why make threads like these?

your sig seems to asnwer your question...

nice and tidy too
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 7, 2007 7:46:08 PM

I thought ATI only developed the chip. I know that they sold the chip to MS. MS has all the rights to the chip, ATI doesn't. Does ATI make the chips?
March 7, 2007 7:47:58 PM

Quote:
m25 i do no wish to develop a problem with u... u are very well respected

and i do not want to soil your reputation

I don't think I am putting myself in a position for you to harm my reputation but you're doing your best to soil your own, by flaming around with a topic like this, based on a rotten idea, which furthermore, nobody likes, most intel fanboys included. Do you think it's normal to step on anybody's nerves like this?!Why don't you open a new topic on when intel is going out of business, or when the 3rd world war will begin?!
Come back on earth; Intel didn't kill them when they were scratching with the K6, or when they started to bite with the AthlonXPs,... and they'll do it, on may 2008 :!:
March 7, 2007 7:50:41 PM

Quote:
You should stop making stupid topics like that....

How else is he going to keep his post count up?

@ lordpope: AMD will still be around long after you are gone. So nay say all you want...
March 7, 2007 7:51:54 PM

Look.....with the AMD vs Intel non fair play trial, Intel will be force to pay %50 of all profits for the last 10 years to AMD. This will cripple Intel. Then when Barcelona and R600.....it will be the knockout punch!

Intel will fold by March 23, 2009.

PS. Best Buy sucks!
March 7, 2007 7:53:18 PM

AMD's balance sheet actually looks pretty good. They dont have much long term debt, with means that a private equity buyer would be able to borrow against the assets to finance a deal, in addition to the cash flows.

The current market value is probably fairly valued (Enterprise Value/EBITDA = 7.75).

If AMD's financial situation doesnt change (ie. the dont start marking massive losses or taking on huge amounts of debt), and if the stock drops even further, there could be an opportunity for a buyer to come in (stock around $10-$11, buyer offers $14-$15).

Your thoughts?
March 7, 2007 7:56:03 PM

Quote:
as always prozac you make a point using common sense. ATI do make the xbox gpu as well as the nintendo wii one. also, they have some of the best gfx cards for the money in the pc market, then of course there is the chipset business and whatever else they sell in the consumer electronic segment.

it therefore raises the question, why make threads like these?

Sometimes parent's basement can get very boring. :lol:  :lol: 

Right Poop? :lol:  :lol: 

my name is POPE .... i aint come here calling u names...so be childish and call me names... u got it chump
March 7, 2007 7:58:05 PM

Quote:
Look.....with the AMD vs Intel non fair play trial, Intel will be force to pay %50 of all profits for the last 10 years to AMD. This will cripple Intel. Then when Barcelona and R600.....it will be the knockout punch!

Intel will fold by March 23, 2009.

PS. Best Buy sucks!

What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing???
March 7, 2007 7:59:01 PM

I do not think their is any buyers wishing to buy the AMD TITANIC...

IF...and its a big IF... the start to turn it around...then a PE group may jump in...

i doubt it...
March 7, 2007 8:01:56 PM

I can visualize lordpope smiling reading answers to his post.
March 7, 2007 8:03:09 PM

What the hell benchmarks have you been looking at? From what I saw the X2800 crushed the 8800 GPU. 3Dmark Scores

Also, since AMD aquired ATI, intel is going to have a fun time keeping up in the chipset market since ATI will be making directx10 onboard video.
March 7, 2007 8:06:14 PM

Quote:
god, when will you learn your lesson, it's quite simple, don't post these things and help support amd to get them out of this slump, and then we won't ever have to worry about senarios like this

just go back to hiding in the corner of your closet and give yourself a self imposed ban, I think it'll do you some good

if the thought of an AMDless world and 2500$ C2d's scares you.... it should

it scares me too....

I dont wanna be forced to buy VIA Cpu's ...

BUT THIS COULD HAPPEN... and its leaning toward likely
March 7, 2007 8:09:28 PM

Freescale Semiconductor Inc.
In the biggest private tech buyout, a Blackstone-led group paid $17.6 billion last year for the Austin-based chip maker. The company says the new owners will help make Freescale a world-class company.

AMD could be worth a $9B-$12B deal. Chump change for some of these big guys. The could borrow as much as $5B to finance the deal. A $6-$7B cash amount wouldnt be difficult for these big guys. AXA has a private equity arm, and they already hold 10% of the stock (not sure how big they are).

I've never thought about this before, but just checked out Yahoo when this topic was brought to discussion. Interesting times. Plz dont go away AMD. I love my cheap Intel chips!!!

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=AMD&annual
March 7, 2007 8:10:00 PM

Currently I'm a Intel FAN but the Day AMD closes its door will be a sad day for all computer users.
March 7, 2007 8:10:38 PM

Quote:
you aren't giving amd any chance to survive, if they do die, it's from people like you that won't give them any chance to survive and not having any money from sales

i give them a chance.. and i hope they do make it...

i am just preparing you guys...and i prepared 3dfx voodoo zombies...that the worse is staring you in the face

AMD could go away...and soon....

i am not hoping for that... just reading the tea leaves

and INTEL is not playing with AMD anymore
March 7, 2007 8:10:48 PM

You should be smacked silly with a wet noodle just for posting this thread.
March 7, 2007 8:13:26 PM

AMD is here to stay - they'll just be operating under a different set of circumstances. It will be a real stuff up if they do go under though. What a sad sad day for the PC industry.

Intel will gouge us to death.
March 7, 2007 8:14:11 PM

And plz bring along that wet noodle too. Someone needs to be beaten.
March 7, 2007 8:15:45 PM

Quote:
BUT THIS COULD HAPPEN... and its leaning toward likely

Based on what?.

you dont keep up on current events do you?

Did u here about the bombing of the World trade Center in 2001?
March 7, 2007 8:19:36 PM

Quote:
You should be smacked silly with a wet noodle just for posting this thread.

8O <--- your look of shock when AMD closes its door and your head was in the sand leading up to it.

lets just hope it doesnt happen.
March 7, 2007 8:23:46 PM

Well, if the ancient calendar says the end of the world is 2012, and if its true, I'd say that would prolly be the end of all major markets. Wouldn't have to worry if AMD goes out of business before or after.
March 7, 2007 8:38:18 PM

Quote:
And plz bring along that wet noodle too. Someone needs to be beaten.

Something tells me pope like the attention either way. 8O You can always ignore him. :wink:

i didnt know u got so emotional over this stuff....
March 7, 2007 8:40:53 PM

Quote:
Well, if the ancient calendar says the end of the world is 2012, and if its true, I'd say that would prolly be the end of all major markets. Wouldn't have to worry if AMD goes out of business before or after.
That calendar is about as right on as what pope is hoping for.

:lol: 
March 7, 2007 8:41:54 PM

Quote:
that's a good point, all the people on the news and such say 9/11, but that only makes it more dramatic than it actualy is, as it's actually 11/9

HUH! Are we playing calander format. Sorry it was September 11th. And in the USA we tend to use the mm/dd/yy format. So no news drama there.
!