Sign in with
Your question

Do you think it's dead too?

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2007 6:45:14 PM

I'd like to get my old system up and running again. I built it the summer of 2003. It has/had the following:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Asus A7n8x Deluxe
Kingston DDR400 PC3200 512X2
ATI Radeon 8500DV
120g WD

About a year ago, I knew the power supply was getting bad and every now and then the whole thing would shut down, always right in the middle of doing something that required more power. I didn't get around to replacing it in time.... The last time it shut down by itself I figured enough was enough and I would just take a look and make sure there wasn't anything blocking my fans causing it to overheat. I drug the computer out of the cabinet and cracked it open. I pushed the power button and the power supply blew with a loud bang and a lovely bright flash of blue light right in my face.

I bought a new power supply for it but after installing it found out the mother board was dead too. It's been sitting in the store room ever since then. But things have gotten to the point around here where we have to have a second computer just for homework in the evening. We have one kid in high school and one in junior high and they are constantly fighting over the computer. The only thing we need this one for would be word processing and surfing the internet so I don't want to spend much money on it.

What are the chances that the CPU and the rest of the parts are okay? If I could just throw an A7N8X motherboard in it from ebay that would be great!! But I don't want to get another old/obsolete motherboard and find out that other parts were damaged.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

More about : dead

March 7, 2007 6:50:55 PM

Well the first (obvious) step would be to buy a cheapo PSU and see if everything works. You can also try taking the PSU out of the other one and connecting it to the dead one.

I'd say your chances are around 30%. On occasion, blown up power supplies don't always destroy components.
March 7, 2007 6:54:52 PM

Everything on that mobo could be dead. If you could get a replacement mobo on the cheap, it's worth a shot to put all the components on it and try it out. Otherwise, if you need an el cheapo pc, go to wal-mart or somesuch. A bargain pc will do everything you need it to do, except heavy 3d games. Then if your high schooler wants to game, say 'get job, hippie!' :twisted:
Related resources
March 7, 2007 6:57:24 PM

It's very hard to say. I would see if anyone you know has a socket a board and try it in their's.
March 7, 2007 8:33:44 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Check out the combo deal at the bottom:

* BIOSTAR NF325-A7 Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* AMD Sempron 64 2800+ Palermo 1.6GHz Socket 754 Processor Model SDA2800AIO3BX - OEM

$64.99 and shipping is free

You'll need a cheap heatsink. Also, try out your RAM. If it doesn't work, you can pick up a 512 stick for $39 including shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Buying on ebay is risky.
March 7, 2007 8:37:52 PM

My dad has an old PII 400mhz system that did suffer some kind of power surge a really long while back, when I was away from home.

During that time, I told him to buy another PSU, which he did, but had problems installing it since it was the older 6 or 9 pin, that had physical power on switch. The MB power connector did show since of a burn mark, with some melted plastic. But I ended up putting in the new PSU, and after a few tries in getting it started, if finally booted up.

To this day, the system does act goofy turn it on, but it still runs, amazingly. I did have linux installed on it, it ran folding@home for 3 weeks straight, no reboots. Haven't been using it much since it does take over 3 weeks just to get one work unit done, and thought it was a waste of electricity. :lol: 
March 8, 2007 2:42:42 AM

Just out of curiosity, I drug the old beast out of the store room tonight and hooked it up. It gives me the A7N8X deluxe screen, then goes to checksum error - defaults loaded. It says to press F1 or delete but that doesn't do anything. Also, it's detecting my CPU as a 1.1 instead of a 1.8. I'll get a new battery tomorrow and see how far that gets me. This is really weird though. After I installed the new power supply last year it would do NOTHING except run the case fans..... Maybe it needed a vacation 8O

There are five capacitors on the motherboard that look like they have some sort of beige stuff that oozed out the tops of them. One has it running down the side.... probably not good?

Thanks for the help!!!

p.s. Should this post be moved to a better area?
March 8, 2007 2:59:23 AM

Quote:
There are five capacitors on the motherboard that look like they have some sort of beige stuff that oozed out the tops of them. One has it running down the side.... probably not good?

Ooooph... nope, not good at all.
March 8, 2007 1:54:28 PM

Quote:

In theory you could replace the capacitors yourself, but it requires micro soldering tools and a steady hand. There's also no guarantee it would work... CMOS is probably fried as well.
March 26, 2007 9:07:59 PM

Now that we are over the flu I finally felt like going out and buying a new battery. I got it put in and that fixed the checksum error. However it's still telling me that the cpu is a 1.1 instead of 1.8. I haven't messed in the bios yet to see if I can change it, because frankly, it's been a long time since I've dealt with multipliers and such, and I really don't remember what to do... I put an old 13 gig WD hd in it just to see what would happen. It went as far as formatting the drive but when it reboots to install the operating system it hangs on the XP pro logo.

Also, after every 4 reboots or so, it will fail to post and just hangs with a blank screen. I haven't plugged in any speakers (buried somewhere in the storeroom) yet to see what the annoying voice has to say about it.

Am I beating a dead horse here? :( 

Thanks!!
March 27, 2007 1:24:05 PM

Ahhh. Looks like he got a board that had some of those bad capacitors that were everywhere a few years back. I had a Pentium 4 Chinatech mainboard that fell victim to the bad caps issue myself.

If you are interested in learning about what this whole bad capacitor thing was all about, check out this site

http://www.badcaps.net/
a c 99 à CPUs
March 27, 2007 1:44:30 PM

That stuff is actually a dielectric, which allows the capacitor to retain much greater charges in a given size than a plates-with-air-between capacitor does. The big caps on a motherboard are electrolytic capacitors and look like a jelly roll if you take a cross-section. There is a metal spiral-looking plate that holds charge and then the brown-black dielectric in between so that the capacitor doesn't dissipate charge.

But either way, bulged/leaking caps mean a dead board.
March 27, 2007 3:01:30 PM

Quote:
it can over heat and meltdown from internal arcing sometimes resulting in flames and cap explosions

YIKES!! 8O I knew it was bad that they were leaking but didn't realize it was THAT bad!! They actually started leaking about a year before the psu blew. I suppose it's good then that I didn't have time to mess with it since we were in the middle of moving at the time and just stuck it in the storeroom. Thanks for that info!!!

I checked out the link and the large capacitors on my board look much, much worse than the ones pictured on badcaps.net. And after running it awhile yesterday the beige stuff is now brown stuff on one of them. Time for the trash. We don't need a fire!!

My computer guy hasn't had a chance to rumage through his stash for a socket a board yet so I can check the rest of my parts. They had the flu as well. I just really wanted to get this one working again without looking at new components, because if I start doing that, I won't be able to stop my self..... The combo deal mentioned above isn't on newegg anymore. What should I buy instead?

Poor lonely Barton :cry: 
March 27, 2007 3:24:05 PM

Quote:
I just really wanted to get this one working again without looking at new components, because if I start doing that, I won't be able to stop my self.....

:lol: 

I think anyone who's into computers faces the same exact thing.

Although, prices have been cheaper these days, and should perhaps get even more cheaper (at or after April 22nd) to put a new system together that will be worth it.
!