Please help me fix my tv - service mode nightmare

I completely ruined the picture on my Panasonic PT-53WX42 by fiddling
around in the service mode without keeping track of my settings and by
generally screwing around too much. I have a website with pictures to
document this nightmare:

http://factus8.home.mindspring.com/tv/panasonic.html

Can anybody help me figure this out? I don't want to make a service
call on this tv because I expect it will be an expensive service visit
plus I need to learn how to tweak this tv without ruining it. Any
suggestions, please post them here or send an email to factus8@hotmail
dot com.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
8 answers Last reply
More about please service mode nightmare

    The last time this was asked, on 2/4/2003, someone said:

    Suedehead wrote:
    > Well, I've managed to thoroughly bugger my PT53WX42 by going into the
    > set's service mode and fiddle with the settings without making note of
    > what the original settings were.
    >
    > Before I make a service call on the set, I was hoping some kind soul
    > would post the default service mode settings on this set. Or if
    > there's a way to reset the tv to factory presets, that might help as
    > well. Any help would be much, much appreciated!

    Visit the forums at http://www.panny.tv/ . Someone there may be able to
    help you.

    Joe

    "factus8" <factus8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I completely ruined the picture on my Panasonic PT-53WX42 by fiddling
    > around in the service mode without keeping track of my settings and by
    > generally screwing around too much. I have a website with pictures to
    > document this nightmare:
    >
    > http://factus8.home.mindspring.com/tv/panasonic.html
    >
    > Can anybody help me figure this out? I don't want to make a service
    > call on this tv because I expect it will be an expensive service visit
    > plus I need to learn how to tweak this tv without ruining it. Any
    > suggestions, please post them here or send an email to factus8@hotmail
    > dot com.
    >
    > Thank you for any help you can provide!

    Beyond that take the set to a Panasonic ASC and tell them just how you
    FUBARD the set.
    Let them stop laughing and tell you what the service charges will be to
    repair the set, resetting the parameters to original factory specs.
    "MGoBlue" <nospam@anytime.net> wrote in message
    > The last time this was asked, on 2/4/2003, someone said:
    >
    > Suedehead wrote:
    >> Well, I've managed to thoroughly bugger my PT53WX42 by going into the
    >> set's service mode and fiddle with the settings without making note of
    >> what the original settings were.
    >>
    >> Before I make a service call on the set, I was hoping some kind soul
    >> would post the default service mode settings on this set. Or if
    >> there's a way to reset the tv to factory presets, that might help as
    >> well. Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    >

    > Visit the forums at http://www.panny.tv/ . Someone there may be able to
    > help you.
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "factus8" <factus8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I completely ruined the picture on my Panasonic PT-53WX42 by fiddling
    >> around in the service mode without keeping track of my settings and by
    >> generally screwing around too much. I have a website with pictures to
    >> document this nightmare:
    >>
    >> http://factus8.home.mindspring.com/tv/panasonic.html
    >>
    >> Can anybody help me figure this out? I don't want to make a service
    >> call on this tv because I expect it will be an expensive service visit
    >> plus I need to learn how to tweak this tv without ruining it. Any
    >> suggestions, please post them here or send an email to factus8@hotmail
    >> dot com.
    >>
    >> Thank you for any help you can provide!

    Generally speaking,I have always understood myself that service menu
    controls are exactly that: designed for service technical people who
    have the training to use them.This is OPPOSED to operator/owner controls
    which are designed for tweaking by the user.Unless you are a TV tech
    yourself,it is best if the layman refrains from accessing them.
    That said,I think it is a poor design of the set to allow a casual user
    access so easily without some kind of password option or switching
    mechanism that allows for a subset switching routine to these controls
    IMO.

    Sorry that this is a duplicate thread. I posted this on Google Groups
    and apparently it takes 5 hours for their posts to show up. I am
    going to try to keep the other thread active. Updates also posted on
    my web page for anybody interested:

    http://factus8.home.mindspring.com/tv/panasonic.html

    Meanwhile you might draw a picture or print out some your screen
    shots. Turn any knob and make a note of which two colors move and
    on what part of the screen. Looks like you in the convergence
    adjustments. Keep messing with it you may bring it back to near
    normal. Best to get the red and green together the move the blue in
    last to see white lines.

    hdtvfan

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:40:40 -0400, "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Beyond that take the set to a Panasonic ASC and tell them just how you
    >FUBARD the set.
    >Let them stop laughing and tell you what the service charges will be to
    >repair the set, resetting the parameters to original factory specs.
    >"MGoBlue" <nospam@anytime.net> wrote in message
    >> The last time this was asked, on 2/4/2003, someone said:
    >>
    >> Suedehead wrote:
    >>> Well, I've managed to thoroughly bugger my PT53WX42 by going into the
    >>> set's service mode and fiddle with the settings without making note of
    >>> what the original settings were.
    >>>
    >>> Before I make a service call on the set, I was hoping some kind soul
    >>> would post the default service mode settings on this set. Or if
    >>> there's a way to reset the tv to factory presets, that might help as
    >>> well. Any help would be much, much appreciated!
    >>

    >> Visit the forums at http://www.panny.tv/ . Someone there may be able to
    >> help you.
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    >> "factus8" <factus8@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I completely ruined the picture on my Panasonic PT-53WX42 by fiddling
    >>> around in the service mode without keeping track of my settings and by
    >>> generally screwing around too much. I have a website with pictures to
    >>> document this nightmare:
    >>>
    >>> http://factus8.home.mindspring.com/tv/panasonic.html
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody help me figure this out? I don't want to make a service
    >>> call on this tv because I expect it will be an expensive service visit
    >>> plus I need to learn how to tweak this tv without ruining it. Any
    >>> suggestions, please post them here or send an email to factus8@hotmail
    >>> dot com.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for any help you can provide!

    SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote in news:160-413B6236-100@storefull-
    3254.bay.webtv.net:

    > Generally speaking,I have always understood myself that service menu
    > controls are exactly that: designed for service technical people who
    > have the training to use them.This is OPPOSED to operator/owner controls
    > which are designed for tweaking by the user.Unless you are a TV tech
    > yourself,it is best if the layman refrains from accessing them.
    > That said,I think it is a poor design of the set to allow a casual user
    > access so easily without some kind of password option or switching
    > mechanism that allows for a subset switching routine to these controls
    > IMO.

    There is a set of slightly complex combinations that must be set with the
    remote control in order to access the service menu on this particular set, it
    is not something that a owner would "stumble into". Factus got the info on
    this from somewhere and this is what happens when you do this.

    For all of you out there that want to "tweak" your set with the service
    menus, here is a tip for you. DON'T DO IT, STAY OUT OF THE SERVICE MENUS!

    There are no tweaks in there that can help you, just a very complicated set
    of adjustable parameters that are set at the factory to give you a good
    picture and are optimized for your individual set (This is why "default"
    parameters will not give you the best results.), there is nothing in here
    that can be "tweaked" to improve your TV, only tons of stuff that will allow
    you to ruin your TV.

    --
    My email address is invalid, thanks to
    all of these rotten spambots.

    "Ohmster" <donteven@thinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
    > SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote in news:160-413B6236-100@storefull-
    > There are no tweaks in there that can help you, just a very complicated
    set
    > of adjustable parameters that are set at the factory to give you a good
    > picture and are optimized for your individual set (This is why "default"
    > parameters will not give you the best results.), there is nothing in here
    > that can be "tweaked" to improve your TV, only tons of stuff that will
    allow
    > you to ruin your TV.

    I can appreciate your attempts to help people to not screw up their sets,
    but with comments like this you begin to sound like a either a condescending
    "leave it to professionals" tech or someone who really does not know much
    about performance in CRT based RPTV. You contradict yourself in the first
    sentence. There certainly ARE things that can be tweaked in many sets, if
    you understand the relationship between the service parameters and the
    resulting performance. Many of the readers of this group understand enough
    to know what to adjust, know that they need to get the documentation before
    messing with it, or at least are smart enough not adjust things that they
    are not absolutely sure about. There are also many readers here who are
    better off staying out of the service menus, but they deserve a more
    realistic perspective.

    Also, concerning your other post where you indicated that the Panasonic set
    would come out "fine" after a complete realignment, you should be more
    realistic. It might be fine after a technician experienced in alignment of
    Panasonic RPTV spends hours on it, or you might be able to do so, but the
    majority of "technicians" would likely not get it right. The fact is that
    there are lots of half-ass techs out there who will do just as much as they
    must to get a picture on the screen, and many who have no clue how to get a
    set to look right. Consumers need to shop for service as much as they shop
    for the product.

    You may be a great tech and perform great service for your clients, but
    remember that there is a serious lack of professionalism among many in our
    field. Also remember that many "consumers", especially here, may know a lot
    about the products that you don't.

    Leonard

    "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

    > "Ohmster" <donteven@thinkaboutit.com> wrote in message
    > > SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote in news:160-413B6236-100@storefull-
    > > There are no tweaks in there that can help you, just a very complicated
    > set
    > > of adjustable parameters that are set at the factory to give you a good
    > > picture and are optimized for your individual set (This is why "default"
    > > parameters will not give you the best results.), there is nothing in
    here
    > > that can be "tweaked" to improve your TV, only tons of stuff that will
    > allow
    > > you to ruin your TV.
    >
    > I can appreciate your attempts to help people to not screw up their sets,
    > but with comments like this you begin to sound like a either a
    condescending
    > "leave it to professionals" tech or someone who really does not know much
    > about performance in CRT based RPTV. You contradict yourself in the first
    > sentence. There certainly ARE things that can be tweaked in many sets, if
    > you understand the relationship between the service parameters and the
    > resulting performance. Many of the readers of this group understand
    enough
    > to know what to adjust, know that they need to get the documentation
    before
    > messing with it, or at least are smart enough not adjust things that they
    > are not absolutely sure about. There are also many readers here who are
    > better off staying out of the service menus, but they deserve a more
    > realistic perspective.
    >
    > Also, concerning your other post where you indicated that the Panasonic
    set
    > would come out "fine" after a complete realignment, you should be more
    > realistic. It might be fine after a technician experienced in alignment
    of
    > Panasonic RPTV spends hours on it, or you might be able to do so, but the
    > majority of "technicians" would likely not get it right. The fact is that
    > there are lots of half-ass techs out there who will do just as much as
    they
    > must to get a picture on the screen, and many who have no clue how to get
    > set to look right. Consumers need to shop for service as much as they
    shop
    > for the product.
    >
    > You may be a great tech and perform great service for your clients, but
    > remember that there is a serious lack of professionalism among many in our
    > field. Also remember that many "consumers", especially here, may know a
    lot
    > about the products that you don't.
    >
    > Leonard

    Agreed, the above applies to all fields from Medical to Legal.

    Jeff

HDTV TV Panasonic Home Theatre