Random change of IP address

Cheyennetrk

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I have a public wireless network that anyone one in range can access. When they do, they see a disclaimer page. I'm fairly certian it does this because the system recognizes a new computer and assigns it a new IP address. However, I have one computer for public use for those that don't have one. This computer has a static IP that I can't seem to change even though I've let the computer stay off for over 12 hours. Now, I could change the timer out and make it so that anyone on the network will have to relog back on every so often, but that's not practical. I only need it to do this on the one computer. Setting up anything other than a guest account isn't going to work either.
I don't know much about scripts and the different forms of programming so I could use some help. If anyone knows how I might pull this off, please let me know.
I thought there was a way to force the IP change at a regular interval automatically, but I can't seem to find anything on it.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You static can be set two different ways. Your network port connections would be the first place to look. Also the router can assign IP based on MAC address. In the router there is a option for lease time. This will drop the connection and auto renew, will not ask for login credentials. Most all routers remember the what mac address were assign what IP's. And normally will not change unless it runs out of IP address to assign, then it will start reusing them.

Cheyennetrk

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok, so if I set it to a 30 min timer on the lease will only this one computer be affected or will anyone that is on the network have to relog back in every 30 minutes?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Everyone will be affected. But they should not be prompted for a password. All they should see on the wireless side is a connected message from the tray if turned on. This is used to clear out inactive connections.