Working and copying in A drive

I am writing a book and have got split screen in words, but want to insert
floopy disk in A drive so that all work will go on that as I type . I could
do this with windows '98, but can't find how to do this on windows XP. In
other words, how do I keep all work on book from hard drive? I also need to
know how to erase some work from word that I typed in thinking I had copied
automatically on a floppy disk. Where do I go to do this? Help!!
--
retired fellow
4 answers Last reply

    Try posting to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

    "J F Harding" <jfharding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am writing a book and have got split screen in words, but want to insert
    > floopy disk in A drive so that all work will go on that as I type . I
    > could
    > do this with windows '98, but can't find how to do this on windows XP. In
    > other words, how do I keep all work on book from hard drive? I also need
    > know how to erase some work from word that I typed in thinking I had
    > copied
    > automatically on a floppy disk. Where do I go to do this? Help!!
    > --
    > retired fellow

    It's a very bad practice to open/save files directly to a floppy disk. Lots of
    bad things can happen.

    I think I would save to the harddrive and then use windows explorer to backup to
    removeable media.

    In fact, if I were backing up my important files to floppies, I'd have at least
    two versions.

    --

    Dave Peterson

    File menu > Save As; then point the save location to the disk in A:\>
    drive.
    Is that what you mean, or are you talking about the "autosave" or
    "auto-backup" feature in MS Word.?

    "J F Harding" <jfharding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am writing a book and have got split screen in words, but want to insert
    > floopy disk in A drive so that all work will go on that as I type . I
    > could
    > do this with windows '98, but can't find how to do this on windows XP. In
    > other words, how do I keep all work on book from hard drive? I also need
    > know how to erase some work from word that I typed in thinking I had
    > copied
    > automatically on a floppy disk. Where do I go to do this? Help!!
    > --
    > retired fellow

    I only use floppies as a quick/small file copy to another computer, and
    that's if its not networked. Floppies use gave way to the ZIP disks, which
    in turn gave way to CD's and now the new thing is the memory cards - I've
    got a couple of them, each hold about 1GB, and I use them to transport
    important files to/from work - they plug right into a USB port, and act just
    like a hard drive - but as others have stated, I'd still store the original
    on the hard drive, and develop a backup method for your entire hard drive -
    personally, weekly I backup my entire hard drive using Ghost to an external
    drive, have about 5 copies going 5 weeks back.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "J F Harding" <jfharding@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am writing a book and have got split screen in words, but want to insert
    > floopy disk in A drive so that all work will go on that as I type . I
    could
    > do this with windows '98, but can't find how to do this on windows XP. In
    > other words, how do I keep all work on book from hard drive? I also need
    > know how to erase some work from word that I typed in thinking I had
    copied
    > automatically on a floppy disk. Where do I go to do this? Help!!
    > --
    > retired fellow

Windows XP