Your question

IDE Mode versus AHCI

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • NAS / RAID
  • Raptor
Last response: in Motherboards
March 7, 2007 8:33:44 PM

I own a P5B Premium and have already set it up with a 150 Raptor drive in IDE mode. I have seen several discussions around using the AHCI instead and how this would need to be set before installing OS if planning to later use RAID. If I have no interest in MB RAID what is the main benefit to AHCI? Would rather not have to rebuild my system.

More about : ide mode versus ahci

March 9, 2007 12:40:20 PM

I forgot to mention that I am using Vista 64bit Ultimate.
March 9, 2007 7:10:04 PM

Quote:
I own a P5B Premium and have already set it up with a 150 Raptor drive in IDE mode. I have seen several discussions around using the AHCI instead and how this would need to be set before installing OS if planning to later use RAID. If I have no interest in MB RAID what is the main benefit to AHCI? Would rather not have to rebuild my system.

Maybe the enhanced SATA feature such as hot swapping or NCQ, but I don't consider them necessary. and without RAID, performance shouldn't be affected too much as well. I most of the time run SATA hdd in IDE mode with standard MS drivers because I don't need to have the drive listed in hot swapping unit in the system tray and because I like to keep thing simple on install
Related resources
!