Feebas (Sapphire)

qwerty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002

We are having trouble catching Feebas. Apart from the advice of "try a
walkthrough", which has come in very useful (thanks to those who provided
links), is there a certain way to catch it? Which brings me to a question.
Where in the game does it hint that you need a certain "popular phrase" in
order to catch Feebas? I guess there was a small hint when the little man
says something like 'Go for a surf and catch some Pokemon". And having to be
on a certain tile in the lake, holy sh$#. While I'm at it, how would I then
know that it needs it's beauty maxed out to make it evolve (assuming I had
no access to internet/usenet/newsgroups)?

"qwerty" <i@i.com.au> wrote in message
> We are having trouble catching Feebas.

You will come to hate the fish as I have.

At most, Feebas exists in six water tiles on Route 119. Yes. Six. At
MOST. At least, it's in one. The number of active tiles and their location
are determined by what the Cool And Awesome Phrase is according to the good
folks at Dewford. The fun bit? There's no way of determining the
corrolation between the phrase and the locations because it's different for
every cart. Yay, fun.

Your task, therefore is to fish in every single tile. You won't find Feebas
by swimming - you have to fish. You will need to be Surfing at the same
time to reach most of the tiles. Even in active tiles, there's a 50% chance
you'll wind up with something like a Magikarp, but you can catch Feebas with
any of the three rods. You may want to fish in each tile three or four
times to ensure it's not a Feebass tile, but on the other hand, you may want
to beat yourself to death with your GameBoy. It'll be One Of Those Days.

> While I'm at it, how would I then know that it needs it's beauty maxed out
> to make it evolve?

Here's the NEXT super-mega-awesome-fun bit.

Once you've found the tile, remember where it is. You may well need to make
several trips. First of all, keep fishing and capturing Feebasses until you
catch at least one female. Then go back to check their personalities. Have
you got one that's either Rash, Quiet, Modest or Mild? No? Then go back to
fish some more. Oh, and don't change the Cool And Awesome Phrase unless you
REALLY enjoyed the treasure hunt you just spent three years or so
completing.

With a female Feebass (or, these days, a male and a Ditto traded from FL),
you can always breed for the right personality, but hatching eggs takes
time.

Once you've got a Rash, Quiet, Modest or Mild Feebass, we're ready to make
Milotic.

You now need to increase Feebass's beauty. This is difficult, because
Feebass is fugly. To do this, you must feed him PokéBlocks, which are Pez
for Pokémon. These must be blue or indigo, so use the following berries:

Pamtre Berry - super-mega rare, but the best.

Wiki, Kelpsy, Hondew or Cornn - fairly uncommon, but pretty good.

Chesto, Oran, Lum, Bluk or Wepear - common as filth, but not wonderful.

You can only feed any Pokémon twelve Pez, so it's best to feed Feebass the
ones that raise its Beauty the most, so I recommend the middle group of
berries. One or two made from the third list won't hurt, though, but be
careful. The last thing you want is a Feebass that's not QUITE pretty
enough and won't eat any more Pez. If you're unsure, save the game before
feeding it anything.

Once Beauty has been maxed out, level it up quickly - Rare Candy or
Experience Share at the ready. It will then evolve into Milotic.

--
Steffan Alun

http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site
http://www.pkmn.co.uk/ - want Pokeyman?

Sapphire PokéDex: 201

LeafGreen PokéDex: 108

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, STEFFAN HEDD ALUN wrote:
> There's no way of determining the corrolation between the phrase and the
> locations because it's different for every cart. Yay, fun.

Apparently, entering the phrase just randomizes the tiles where you can
find Feebas. Also, since the trendy phrase resets itself to something
random every day, it's definitely a good idea to catch as many Feebases as
you can in the same session you finally find a square.

> Pamtre Berry - super-mega rare, but the best.
>
> Wiki, Kelpsy, Hondew or Cornn - fairly uncommon, but pretty good.
>
> Chesto, Oran, Lum, Bluk or Wepear - common as filth, but not wonderful.

Out of the common ones, I find Kelpsy to be the best. I evolved a Feebas
last night and 10 Kelpsies (blended at Lillycove) did the trick...

> Once Beauty has been maxed out, level it up quickly - Rare Candy or
> Experience Share at the ready. It will then evolve into Milotic.

And, once you've maxed it out, go talk to the old dude at the fan club in
Slateport to get the Blue Bow, which enhances Beauty a bit for contests...

"Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, STEFFAN HEDD ALUN wrote:
> > There's no way of determining the corrolation between the phrase and the
> > locations because it's different for every cart. Yay, fun.
>
> Apparently, entering the phrase just randomizes the tiles where you can
> find Feebas. Also, since the trendy phrase resets itself to something
> random every day, it's definitely a good idea to catch as many Feebases as
> you can in the same session you finally find a square.

Unless you've had the time glitch happen on your cart, right? In other
words, if you find the Feebas tile on a time-glitched cart, you don't have
to worry about the phrase changing and the tile changing? I noticed this
when I was reading this because I haven't had the Dewford phrase change for
a while that I can remember but then I haven't gotten my time glitch fixed
yet.

--
-- Pokemon Trainer Mike in shortened form.

Member of the BBB Junior Strike Force
Defending the world from the evils of Voltorb and Electrode.
Full BBB Member Application forever lost in AGNP's space-time continuum

Neopet Owner (To sign up for Neopets, go to
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=michaelruss)
Vice President in the Pokimon Temple Guild
(http://www.neopets.com/guilds/guild.phtml?oid=mantine)

I have:

1 I Love Mango's Point
5 AGNP (Andy Gives Nice Points) Points
5 Binary Poster Points
10 Jax Points
15 Y2Tech Points
20 Points Just For The Sake Of Having Points Points.
25 WAM Points
85 BBB Points
10000 Pikachuumon Points

150 Pokemon in my Blue version...
150 Pokemon in my Yellow version...
249 Pokemon in my Silver version...
249 Pokemon in my Gold version...
249 Pokemon in my Crystal version...
90 Pokemon in my Ruby version...

In article <4187785d$0$24942$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
qwerty <i@i.com.au> wrote:
>We are having trouble catching Feebas.

You aren't alone.

Apart from the advice of "try a
>walkthrough", which has come in very useful (thanks to those who provided
>links), is there a certain way to catch it?

Fish in a *lot* of different tiles.

>on a certain tile in the lake, holy sh$#. While I'm at it, how would I then
>know that it needs it's beauty maxed out to make it evolve (assuming I had
>no access to internet/usenet/newsgroups)?

A strategy guide? I don't remember anything in the game itself
hinting at that. I can imagine getting really, really frustrated
at being unable to get a Milotic without outside help.

david@thornley.net | If you don't, flee.

qwerty wrote:

> We are having trouble catching Feebas. Apart from the advice of "try a
> walkthrough", which has come in very useful (thanks to those who provided
> links), is there a certain way to catch it? Which brings me to a question.
> Where in the game does it hint that you need a certain "popular phrase" in
> order to catch Feebas? I guess there was a small hint when the little man
> says something like 'Go for a surf and catch some Pokemon". And having to be
> on a certain tile in the lake, holy sh$#. While I'm at it, how would I then
> know that it needs it's beauty maxed out to make it evolve (assuming I had
> no access to internet/usenet/newsgroups)?

I don't think you would know Feebas even exist unless you fought one.
There's, like, one trainer in the game that even uses it, and I think he
might be in the same place they are. How you know to fish for it is
beyond me, but I suppose a diligent collector would try anything and
everything. This may seem bewildering, but then again there used to be
a time when you were expected to beat Megaman in one sitting.

I suppose there's something to be said about a sense of community. If
you can't figure it out yourself, you can always ask someone else.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

My Adventure Quest character:

"Joseph William Dixon" <aa343@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> > Pamtre Berry - super-mega rare, but the best.
> >
> > Wiki, Kelpsy, Hondew or Cornn - fairly uncommon, but pretty good.
> >
> > Chesto, Oran, Lum, Bluk or Wepear - common as filth, but not wonderful.
>
> Out of the common ones, I find Kelpsy to be the best. I evolved a
Feebas
> last night and 10 Kelpsies (blended at Lillycove) did the trick...
> And, once you've maxed it out, go talk to the old dude at the fan club
in
> Slateport to get the Blue Bow, which enhances Beauty a bit for contests...

It only took me 5 Palmtre berries (I think, but it's really low, might be
8?). And as for how rare it is, plant it. When you have watered each phase
(seed, sprout, growing taller, flowering) once (or twice) collect the two
berries and plant them. Repeat often.
(I stopped around 20 or 30 of each kind of berry, but I am a Packrat.)
Blend some and have a feeding spree, level up, and poof, not quite instant
but fairly close unless you had to breed for personality (like me).

daramark

"Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I don't think you would know Feebas even exist unless you fought one.
> There's, like, one trainer in the game that even uses it, and I think he
> might be in the same place they are. How you know to fish for it is
> beyond me, but I suppose a diligent collector would try anything and
> everything.

I agree. It's dumb. The only way you can hope to guess is by seeing a
Feebass (that one trainer you mentioned, and I don't think I'd fought him
when I finally found Feebass, so he could well be somewhere quite obscure)
and checking its location, then Surfing long enough to confirm it's not
there, and then fishing and purely coincidentally finding a Feebass tile.

Then there's the whole trendy phrase issue. If there was any logic or
reason to the effect it had on the tiles, I wouldn't mind, but as it is, the
tileset is randomised every day, and the only thing you achieve by changing
it is randomising them again. Unless, that is, the more you change it, the
more tiles are activated, but I've not seen any evidence to imply this.

Then there's the fact that the only hints in the game are really vague, like
the guy who mentions "the trendy phrase in Dewford does weird things to this
water" or suchlike.

And if by some miracle you work all this out yourself, how in the world
would you guess how to make it evolve? Once you've raised it to :L100, made
it happy, used all the stones on it and traded it with evolution-triggering
items, what would make someone think "let's just try making it pretty THIS
way"?

I mean, there's a realistic chance that you'll be able to catch and evolve
every other Pokémon there is, especially with all the hints from NPCs, but
Feebass is an utterly dumb catch. I'll be annoyed if it's just as difficult
to catch in the next wave of games.

> I suppose there's something to be said about a sense of community. If you
> can't figure it out yourself, you can always ask someone else.

Community is nice, but it gets silly if it's so difficult to complete your
PokéDex satisfactorily without the internet.

--

"STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message
> "Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > I don't think you would know Feebas even exist unless you fought one.
> > There's, like, one trainer in the game that even uses it, and I think he
> > might be in the same place they are. How you know to fish for it is
> > beyond me, but I suppose a diligent collector would try anything and
> > everything.
>
> I agree. It's dumb. The only way you can hope to guess is by seeing a
> Feebass (that one trainer you mentioned, and I don't think I'd fought him
> when I finally found Feebass, so he could well be somewhere quite obscure)
> and checking its location, then Surfing long enough to confirm it's not
> there, and then fishing and purely coincidentally finding a Feebass tile.
>
> Then there's the whole trendy phrase issue. If there was any logic or
> reason to the effect it had on the tiles, I wouldn't mind, but as it is,
the
> tileset is randomised every day, and the only thing you achieve by
changing
> it is randomising them again. Unless, that is, the more you change it,
the
> more tiles are activated, but I've not seen any evidence to imply this.
>
> Then there's the fact that the only hints in the game are really vague,
like
> the guy who mentions "the trendy phrase in Dewford does weird things to
this
> water" or suchlike.
>
> And if by some miracle you work all this out yourself, how in the world
> would you guess how to make it evolve? Once you've raised it to :L100,
made
> it happy, used all the stones on it and traded it with
evolution-triggering
> items, what would make someone think "let's just try making it pretty THIS
> way"?
>
> I mean, there's a realistic chance that you'll be able to catch and evolve
> every other Pokémon there is, especially with all the hints from NPCs, but
> Feebass is an utterly dumb catch. I'll be annoyed if it's just as
difficult
> to catch in the next wave of games.
>
> > I suppose there's something to be said about a sense of community. If
you
> > can't figure it out yourself, you can always ask someone else.
>
> Community is nice, but it gets silly if it's so difficult to complete your
> PokéDex satisfactorily without the internet.

I hate to interupt a good rant (that I basically agree with) to ask a simple
question. Isn't it in the little book that comes with the game? You know
the one, it's mostly useless junk that we already know. I can try to find
mine if you like....

daramark

"daramark" <mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I hate to interupt a good rant (that I basically agree with) to ask a
> simple
> question. Isn't it in the little book that comes with the game? You know
> the one, it's mostly useless junk that we already know. I can try to find
> mine if you like....

Maybe it is, then, but I did read through it first time I got it, and I
don't remember anything as ridiculously detailed as what you need to catch
and evolve it.

--

"STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<1099403647.155818@leri.aber.ac.uk>...
> "qwerty" <i@i.com.au> wrote in message
> > We are having trouble catching Feebas.
>
> You will come to hate the fish as I have.

> You now need to increase Feebass's beauty. This is difficult, because
> Feebass is fugly. To do this, you must feed him PokéBlocks, which are Pez
> for Pokémon. These must be blue or indigo, so use the following berries:

Salac is the best berry to make Beauty PokeBlocks. It takes three or
four PokeBlocks to max out the Beauty stat (and you'll nearly max out
the Cute and Tough stats if your pokemon doesn't dislike sweet or
sour).

You can buy Salac berries for 15,000 points in Colosseum (or get one
with Jirachi if you have the bonus disk).

STEFFAN HEDD ALUN wrote:

> And if by some miracle you work all this out yourself, how in the world
> would you guess how to make it evolve? Once you've raised it to :L100, made
> it happy, used all the stones on it and traded it with evolution-triggering
> items, what would make someone think "let's just try making it pretty THIS
> way"?

Maybe they figure it would be the same kind of person who would think of
training an otherwise-worthless Magikarp. The difference being this
Feebas guy thinks it might be worth his or her time trying to get the
Feebas to win a beauty contest and incidentally levels it up once it
reaches max beauty, rather than just simply training a weak monster. I
know I once tried leveling up Unown just to see if it evolves into some
secret Pokemon, but I lost interest after a few levels.

--

"David Copeland" <ds506@ncf.ca> wrote in message

> Salac is the best berry to make Beauty PokeBlocks. It takes three or
> four PokeBlocks to max out the Beauty stat (and you'll nearly max out
> the Cute and Tough stats if your pokemon doesn't dislike sweet or
> sour).
>
> You can buy Salac berries for 15,000 points in Colosseum (or get one
> with Jirachi if you have the bonus disk).

REALLY?!? Can you buy other rare berries?

daramark

> "daramark" <mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > I hate to interupt a good rant (that I basically agree with) to ask a
> > simple
> > question. Isn't it in the little book that comes with the game? You
know
> > the one, it's mostly useless junk that we already know. I can try to
find
> > mine if you like....
>
> Maybe it is, then, but I did read through it first time I got it, and I
> don't remember anything as ridiculously detailed as what you need to catch
> and evolve it.

Oh they didn't say anything about it only being on 6 everloving tiles that
randomize daily. They said something like "And there are new ways to evolve
Pokemon ei Feebas with a maxed Beauty plus one level into Milotic".

daramark (I might be able to find the book, but I wouldn't hold my breathe
over it)

In article <DGgjd.29652$dj2.2134474@news20.bellglobal.com>,
daramark <mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> You can buy Salac berries for 15,000 points in Colosseum (or get one
>> with Jirachi if you have the bonus disk).

Jirachi will come with one rare berry, which may be a Salac or may not be.

>REALLY?!? Can you buy other rare berries?

Yup, in Coliseum. However, the points accumulate rather slowly, and
it'll take a while to scrape together enough to buy a rare berry.
In terms of effort expended, which is the best approximation to cost
I can think of in a video game, they're bloody expensive.

"David Thornley" <thornley@visi.com> wrote in message
> In article <DGgjd.29652$dj2.2134474@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> daramark <mark.bull@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can buy Salac berries for 15,000 points in Colosseum (or get one
> >> with Jirachi if you have the bonus disk).
> >
> Jirachi will come with one rare berry, which may be a Salac or may not be.
>

> >REALLY?!? Can you buy other rare berries?
> >
> Yup, in Coliseum. However, the points accumulate rather slowly, and
> it'll take a while to scrape together enough to buy a rare berry.
> In terms of effort expended, which is the best approximation to cost
> I can think of in a video game, they're bloody expensive.

Well in real life terms, since I don't yet have a GC let alone the games,
it's really really expensive. LOL

But I want the Berries..... Just to hoard them all to myself (I won't even
share with my pokes ;) unless I have to).

daramark

ds506@ncf.ca (David Copeland) wrote in message news:<288faacf.0411051713.3d673f53@posting.google.com>...
> "STEFFAN HEDD ALUN" <sha3@aber.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<1099403647.155818@leri.aber.ac.uk>...
> > "qwerty" <i@i.com.au> wrote in message
> > > We are having trouble catching Feebas.
> >
> > You will come to hate the fish as I have.
>

> > You now need to increase Feebass's beauty. This is difficult, because
> > Feebass is fugly. To do this, you must feed him PokéBlocks, which are Pez
> > for Pokémon. These must be blue or indigo, so use the following berries:
>
> Salac is the best berry to make Beauty PokeBlocks. It takes three or
> four PokeBlocks to max out the Beauty stat (and you'll nearly max out
> the Cute and Tough stats if your pokemon doesn't dislike sweet or
> sour).

Oops, it's Ganlon, not Salac that boosts Beauty.

I found my book ... Ruby Version - page 35:

Pokemon Evolution
There are some Pokemon that evolve and change form as they grow.
A pokemon can evolve when its Level increases through the use of an
Evolution Stone, or if it is traded. There is also a rumor that there are
other ways they can evolve...

which automatically makes me think of friendliness, but wouldn't tip
me off to the beauty factor. No other reference exists.

Which is exactly why they make Strategy Guides.

"rdunlow" <rdunlow@cox.net> wrote in message
> I found my book ... Ruby Version - page 35:
>
> Pokemon Evolution
> There are some Pokemon that evolve and change form as they grow.
> A pokemon can evolve when its Level increases through the use of an
> Evolution Stone, or if it is traded. There is also a rumor that there are
> other ways they can evolve...
>
> which automatically makes me think of friendliness, but wouldn't tip
> me off to the beauty factor. No other reference exists.
>
> Which is exactly why they make Strategy Guides.

Thanks! That leads us right back to where we started, the internet. It
must have been on one of the walkthrough/FAQ pages that I read it. I don't
think that I have opened the Strategy Guides for RS.

daramark