autoexec.nt Problem

I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I found
and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and reinsalled
autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall worked as
expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that previously revealed
the problem I found it worked properly as well.

However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.

I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--chh

"Carl H. Horst" <chorst01@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I found
>and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and reinsalled
>autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall worked as
>expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that previously revealed
>the problem I found it worked properly as well.
>
>However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
>autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
>program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.
>
>I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem
>
>Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
>--chh

The behavior you are experiencing can be caused by a virus/trojan
infestation.

PestPatrol, if you are referring to the product from Computer
Associates, is considered to be a good product. However the same
cannot be said for SpyHunter from Enigma, which is considered to be
mediocre at best. Try another spyware product in its place such as
one of the reputable and reliable free scanners, including AdAware
(http://www.lavasoft.de) or Spybot Search and Destroy
(http://www.safer-networking.org/)

And you did not mention your antivirus software. Make sure that it is
fully up to date, with the virus definitions not more than a week old,
and do a complete virus scan of your hard drive. Then get a second
opinion by doing a free online virus scan at one of the following
sites:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Please try the steps below to try workaround this error:

1. Click Start, run, type "repair" (with out quotation marks) and click OK.

Copy the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files from here.

Note: To copy a file, right-click the file and select copy. You may copy one
file at a time.

Now, follow these steps to open the system 32 folder:

2. Click Start, run, type "system32" (with out quotation marks) and click
OK.

In the resulting window, paste the copied files. Say YES to replace the
existing files.

Note: To paste a copied file, click Edit->Paste.

--
HTH
Meena
"Carl H. Horst" <chorst01@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I
found
> and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and reinsalled
> autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall worked as
> expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that previously revealed
> the problem I found it worked properly as well.
>
> However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
> autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
> program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.
>
> I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> --chh

Hi kt, It sounds like you have a program called "WINDUPDATE.EXE" in your
computer. I had it some time ago. It is a program like a virus that some
site has put in your computer to make you purchase updated programs, ones
that will operate with XP's 32 bit system. What is causes is the deleting of
your AUTOEXEC.NT file everytime you boot your computer. Without this
AUTOEXEC.NT file you can't run old 16 bit programs which were developed for
Windows 98 or earlier.
You can search in your computer to try and find this WINDUPDATE.EXE file and
delete it or you can download the free adware eliminating program, AD-Aware
SE Personal 1.05, that finds and can remove these security threats. You can
find it at www.lavasoft.com.

Also many articles say the AUTOEXEC.NT file is in your C:\windows\system32\
folder but sometimes your computer manfacturer put it in the C:\WINNT\
system\ folder. It the latter case your C:windows\ folder won't have a
system32 folder.

If you install and run this ad-ware program it will find almost every little
adware file in your computer and remove them.

Unless you get rid of this WINDUPDATE.EXE file it will keep deleting the
AUTOEXEC.NT file and you will have to restore it constantly.

NevBud

"Carl H. Horst" <chorst01@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I
>found and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and reinsalled
>autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall worked as
>expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that previously revealed
>the problem I found it worked properly as well.
>
> However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
> autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
> program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.
>
> I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> --chh

Well I appreciate the several suggestions and have tried to implement each
of them but without success. The problem continues.

I can restore the autoexec.nt file (and config.nt and command.com file)
using the "expand" command from the Operating System CDROM and that
temporarily solves the problem -- the 16-bit program I want to use works
normally -- until I reboot. Then autoexec.nt is gone.

I have McAfee VirusScan with the latest definitions and have scaneed my
computer. I also have run etrust PestPatrol and Spybot S&D. None of thes
programs have found and corrected the problem. I do note that Spybot
continues to find Admili Service and purpots to fix it. But it keeps
reappearing. I note the hard drive has a Program Files folder named
"Admilli Service" which contains two .exe files, a .dll file and a .inf
file. When I try to delete this folder (or individual files) the system
will not allow me to do so. Any other ideas are welcome.

"Bud Norris" <bdev605@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Hi kt, It sounds like you have a program called "WINDUPDATE.EXE" in your
> computer. I had it some time ago. It is a program like a virus that some
> site has put in your computer to make you purchase updated programs, ones
> that will operate with XP's 32 bit system. What is causes is the deleting
> of
> your AUTOEXEC.NT file everytime you boot your computer. Without this
> AUTOEXEC.NT file you can't run old 16 bit programs which were developed
> for
> Windows 98 or earlier.
> You can search in your computer to try and find this WINDUPDATE.EXE file
> and
> delete it or you can download the free adware eliminating program,
> AD-Aware
> SE Personal 1.05, that finds and can remove these security threats. You
> can
> find it at www.lavasoft.com.
>
> Also many articles say the AUTOEXEC.NT file is in your
> C:\windows\system32\
> folder but sometimes your computer manfacturer put it in the C:\WINNT\
> system\ folder. It the latter case your C:windows\ folder won't have a
> system32 folder.
>
> If you install and run this ad-ware program it will find almost every
> little
> adware file in your computer and remove them.
>
> Unless you get rid of this WINDUPDATE.EXE file it will keep deleting the
> AUTOEXEC.NT file and you will have to restore it constantly.
>
> NevBud
>

> "Carl H. Horst" <chorst01@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I
>>found and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and
>>reinsalled autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall
>>worked as expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that previously
>>revealed the problem I found it worked properly as well.
>>
>> However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
>> autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
>> program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.
>>
>> I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem
>>
>> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>>
>> --chh

I'm telling you Carl that the deleting of the autoexec.nt file is caused by
this Windupdate.exe file. You can find it if you get the Ad-aware program
from Lavasoft.com. Then open the program, click on start, then in the Select
a scan mode, click Use a custom scanning options. Then click on Customize
and make sure all the items in the Memory & Registry box are checked. Then
proceed. I'm sure the program will detect the Windupdate.exe file. Then
delete it.
I know because I had the problem just last year!
NevBud
> [...]
>> adware file in your computer and remove them.
>>
>> Unless you get rid of this WINDUPDATE.EXE file it will keep deleting the
>> AUTOEXEC.NT file and you will have to restore it constantly.
>>
>> NevBud
>>

>> "Carl H. Horst" <chorst01@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I
>>>found and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and
>>>reinsalled autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall
>>>worked as expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that
>>>previously revealed the problem I found it worked properly as well.
>>>
>>> However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
>>> autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
>>> program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.
>>>
>>> I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem

PS Carl, I and many others have had this windupdate.exe trojan. When I had
it I talked to probably 30 people about what the trouble was all to no
avail. BUT when I got the ad-aware program, which is free, and ran it with
all the deep sacn modes checked it found the culprit. I now run this
ad-aware program about once a week along with Spybot Search & Destroy and my
anti-virus. This ad-aware program is great AND I don't have any interest in
it so I'm not trying to sell you anything except help.
NevBud
> [...]
>> adware file in your computer and remove them.
>>
>> Unless you get rid of this WINDUPDATE.EXE file it will keep deleting the
>> AUTOEXEC.NT file and you will have to restore it constantly.
>>
>> NevBud
>>

>> "Carl H. Horst" <chorst01@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>I can't seem to restore the autoexe.nt file to my systems32 folder. I
>>>found and followed the Microsoft article #324767. I expanded and
>>>reinsalled autoexec.nt, config.nt and command.com. the expand/reinstall
>>>worked as expected and when I restarted the 16-bit program that
>>>previously revealed the problem I found it worked properly as well.
>>>
>>> However ,after I shutdown my computer and when I turn it on again the
>>> autoexec.nt file is missing and the same problem occuurs with the 16-bit
>>> program as occurred before the expand/reinstall.
>>>
>>> I run PestPatrol and Spyhunter with no effect on this problem

Mr. Norris,

Thank you for the lead. I thought I had tried that program when in fact I
had not done so, although I had downloaded it. Interestingly, the lavasoft
program seems to be the only virus/spyware program that succeeds in finding
the windupdate program and removing it. Also for others who might have the
problem, a search of your hard drive (including hidden files) will not find
it as it appears they have changed the file name to one using digits rather
than "windupdate."
> [...]
>>> and
>>> delete it or you can download the free adware eliminating program,
>>> AD-Aware
>>> SE Personal 1.05, that finds and can remove these security threats. You
>>> can
>>> find it at www.lavasoft.com.
>>>
>>> Also many articles say the AUTOEXEC.NT file is in your
>>> C:\windows\system32\
>>> folder but sometimes your computer manfacturer put it in the C:\WINNT\
>>> system\ folder. It the latter case your C:windows\ folder won't have a
>>> system32 folder.
>>>
>>> If you install and run this ad-ware program it will find almost every
>>> little
>>> adware file in your computer and remove them.
>>>
>>> Unless you get rid of this WINDUPDATE.EXE file it will keep deleting the
>>> AUTOEXEC.NT file and you will have to restore it constantly.

Can I assume you found the culprit Carl? If so how was it changed? If it's
not WINDUPDATE.EXE any longer what is it called now?
So many people fall victum to this problem any later info would be very
helpful for everyone.

Thanks
NevBud