No possibility to delete partition during setup

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 6, 2005 10:58:11 PM

Hi!

I've screwed up my Win2K installation. Now I'd like to install a fresh copy
of Win2K on my system. My (one and only) harddrive has got 2 partitions,
one for the system (C:/) and one for data (D:/). I like to wipe out the C:/
partition during setup, but the Win2K setup doesn't let me.

I've found now NTFSDOS (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) which I could use
to format the C:/ partition. But an additional Problem is, that my Floppy
Disk Driver seems not to be working (told you I screwed the system up), so
I can't create a bootable floppy.

Is there a way to either use NTFSDOS on a bootable CD-ROM and if so, how
would I create one? Or is there a different solution at all?

Since I need the Machine to work on, this issue is pretty urgent. A ton of
thanks for any replies pointing me into the right direction.

Matthias
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:58:12 PM

Matthias S. wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've screwed up my Win2K installation. Now I'd like to install a fresh
> copy of Win2K on my system. My (one and only) harddrive has got 2
> partitions, one for the system (C:/) and one for data (D:/). I like to
> wipe out the C:/ partition during setup, but the Win2K setup doesn't let
> me.
>
> I've found now NTFSDOS (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) which I could
> use to format the C:/ partition. But an additional Problem is, that my
> Floppy Disk Driver seems not to be working (told you I screwed the
> system up), so I can't create a bootable floppy.
>
> Is there a way to either use NTFSDOS on a bootable CD-ROM and if so, how
> would I create one? Or is there a different solution at all?
>
> Since I need the Machine to work on, this issue is pretty urgent. A ton
> of thanks for any replies pointing me into the right direction.
>
> Matthias

Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

If you're needing a DOS boot disk to use to flash your BIOS, Try
www.bootdisk.com.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:48:09 PM

Hi Bruce!

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Win2K setup does not allow me to
delete the partition C:/. I guess this might be, because when I first tried
to reinstall win2k, I ran the setup from my existing Win2K installation.
After I had set the first setup options, my machine was rebooted and the
regular (blue, ansi-style) setup continued. When it came to the screen,
where I decide what partition to install on, I can delete D:/, but not C:/,

Now, each and every time I boot my machine, setup wants to continue
(eventhough there is no boot CD in the drive).

Any ideas?

Matthias

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Matthias S. wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I've screwed up my Win2K installation. Now I'd like to install a fresh
>> copy of Win2K on my system. My (one and only) harddrive has got 2
>> partitions, one for the system (C:/) and one for data (D:/). I like to
>> wipe out the C:/ partition during setup, but the Win2K setup doesn't
>> let me.
>>
>> I've found now NTFSDOS (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) which I
>> could use to format the C:/ partition. But an additional Problem is,
>> that my Floppy Disk Driver seems not to be working (told you I screwed
>> the system up), so I can't create a bootable floppy.
>>
>> Is there a way to either use NTFSDOS on a bootable CD-ROM and if so,
>> how would I create one? Or is there a different solution at all?
>>
>> Since I need the Machine to work on, this issue is pretty urgent. A
>> ton of thanks for any replies pointing me into the right direction.
>>
>> Matthias
>

> Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> If you're needing a DOS boot disk to use to flash your BIOS, Try
> www.bootdisk.com.

March 6, 2005 11:48:10 PM

Matthias S. wrote:
> Hi Bruce!
>
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Win2K setup does not allow me to
> delete the partition C:/. I guess this might be, because when I first
> tried to reinstall win2k, I ran the setup from my existing Win2K
> installation. After I had set the first setup options, my machine was
> rebooted and the regular (blue, ansi-style) setup continued. When it
> came to the screen, where I decide what partition to install on, I can
> delete D:/, but not C:/,

It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
system volume from within Win2K. You can't. This would be the computer
equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and Win2K is
"too smart" to allow this.

Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

> Now, each and every time I boot my machine, setup wants to continue
> (eventhough there is no boot CD in the drive).

1) Click Start > Run, Type "Cmd" and then press <Enter>.

2) Type "Cd\" and then press <Enter>

3) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini -h -r -s" and then press <Enter>

4) Click Start > Run, Type "Notepad c:\boot.ini" and then press <Enter>

5) Edit the file to removed the extraneous line, save it, and then exit
Notepad.

6) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini +h +r +s" and then press <Enter>

7) Close the command console.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:10:12 PM

As Bruce states, if you can boot to your Windows 2000 CD, you should be able
to delete the C partition and then create a new on. However, if you're still
unable to delete the partition, you should at least be able to format
existing partitions during the setup process, which would allow you to
install to a clean partition.

Kevin McNiel, MCSE/MCSA
Platform Server Setup Group

Please reply to the Group only, This address cannot receive incoming
messages.

news:o KJ%238goIFHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

!