No possibility to delete partition during setup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi!

I've screwed up my Win2K installation. Now I'd like to install a fresh copy
of Win2K on my system. My (one and only) harddrive has got 2 partitions,
one for the system (C:/) and one for data (D:/). I like to wipe out the C:/
partition during setup, but the Win2K setup doesn't let me.

I've found now NTFSDOS (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) which I could use
to format the C:/ partition. But an additional Problem is, that my Floppy
Disk Driver seems not to be working (told you I screwed the system up), so
I can't create a bootable floppy.

Is there a way to either use NTFSDOS on a bootable CD-ROM and if so, how
would I create one? Or is there a different solution at all?

Since I need the Machine to work on, this issue is pretty urgent. A ton of
thanks for any replies pointing me into the right direction.

Matthias
4 answers Last reply
More about possibility delete partition setup
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Matthias S. wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I've screwed up my Win2K installation. Now I'd like to install a fresh
    > copy of Win2K on my system. My (one and only) harddrive has got 2
    > partitions, one for the system (C:/) and one for data (D:/). I like to
    > wipe out the C:/ partition during setup, but the Win2K setup doesn't let
    > me.
    >
    > I've found now NTFSDOS (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) which I could
    > use to format the C:/ partition. But an additional Problem is, that my
    > Floppy Disk Driver seems not to be working (told you I screwed the
    > system up), so I can't create a bootable floppy.
    >
    > Is there a way to either use NTFSDOS on a bootable CD-ROM and if so, how
    > would I create one? Or is there a different solution at all?
    >
    > Since I need the Machine to work on, this issue is pretty urgent. A ton
    > of thanks for any replies pointing me into the right direction.
    >
    > Matthias


    Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

    If you're needing a DOS boot disk to use to flash your BIOS, Try
    www.bootdisk.com.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Hi Bruce!

    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Win2K setup does not allow me to
    delete the partition C:/. I guess this might be, because when I first tried
    to reinstall win2k, I ran the setup from my existing Win2K installation.
    After I had set the first setup options, my machine was rebooted and the
    regular (blue, ansi-style) setup continued. When it came to the screen,
    where I decide what partition to install on, I can delete D:/, but not C:/,

    Now, each and every time I boot my machine, setup wants to continue
    (eventhough there is no boot CD in the drive).

    Any ideas?

    Matthias

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Matthias S. wrote:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I've screwed up my Win2K installation. Now I'd like to install a fresh
    >> copy of Win2K on my system. My (one and only) harddrive has got 2
    >> partitions, one for the system (C:/) and one for data (D:/). I like to
    >> wipe out the C:/ partition during setup, but the Win2K setup doesn't
    >> let me.
    >>
    >> I've found now NTFSDOS (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) which I
    >> could use to format the C:/ partition. But an additional Problem is,
    >> that my Floppy Disk Driver seems not to be working (told you I screwed
    >> the system up), so I can't create a bootable floppy.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to either use NTFSDOS on a bootable CD-ROM and if so,
    >> how would I create one? Or is there a different solution at all?
    >>
    >> Since I need the Machine to work on, this issue is pretty urgent. A
    >> ton of thanks for any replies pointing me into the right direction.
    >>
    >> Matthias
    >
    >
    >
    > Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    > opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    > installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    > devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
    >
    > If you're needing a DOS boot disk to use to flash your BIOS, Try
    > www.bootdisk.com.
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Matthias S. wrote:
    > Hi Bruce!
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Win2K setup does not allow me to
    > delete the partition C:/. I guess this might be, because when I first
    > tried to reinstall win2k, I ran the setup from my existing Win2K
    > installation. After I had set the first setup options, my machine was
    > rebooted and the regular (blue, ansi-style) setup continued. When it
    > came to the screen, where I decide what partition to install on, I can
    > delete D:/, but not C:/,
    >


    It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
    system volume from within Win2K. You can't. This would be the computer
    equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and Win2K is
    "too smart" to allow this.

    Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)


    > Now, each and every time I boot my machine, setup wants to continue
    > (eventhough there is no boot CD in the drive).
    >


    1) Click Start > Run, Type "Cmd" and then press <Enter>.

    2) Type "Cd\" and then press <Enter>

    3) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini -h -r -s" and then press <Enter>

    4) Click Start > Run, Type "Notepad c:\boot.ini" and then press <Enter>

    5) Edit the file to removed the extraneous line, save it, and then exit
    Notepad.

    6) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini +h +r +s" and then press <Enter>

    7) Close the command console.


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    As Bruce states, if you can boot to your Windows 2000 CD, you should be able
    to delete the C partition and then create a new on. However, if you're still
    unable to delete the partition, you should at least be able to format
    existing partitions during the setup process, which would allow you to
    install to a clean partition.

    Kevin McNiel, MCSE/MCSA
    Platform Server Setup Group

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please reply to the Group only, This address cannot receive incoming
    messages.


    "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
    news:OKJ%238goIFHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Matthias S. wrote:
    >> Hi Bruce!
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Win2K setup does not allow me to
    >> delete the partition C:/. I guess this might be, because when I first
    >> tried to reinstall win2k, I ran the setup from my existing Win2K
    >> installation. After I had set the first setup options, my machine was
    >> rebooted and the regular (blue, ansi-style) setup continued. When it came
    >> to the screen, where I decide what partition to install on, I can delete
    >> D:/, but not C:/,
    >>
    >
    >
    > It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the system
    > volume from within Win2K. You can't. This would be the computer
    > equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and Win2K is
    > "too smart" to allow this.
    >
    > Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
    > opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
    > installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
    > devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
    >
    >
    >
    >> Now, each and every time I boot my machine, setup wants to continue
    >> (eventhough there is no boot CD in the drive).
    >>
    >
    >
    > 1) Click Start > Run, Type "Cmd" and then press <Enter>.
    >
    > 2) Type "Cd\" and then press <Enter>
    >
    > 3) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini -h -r -s" and then press <Enter>
    >
    > 4) Click Start > Run, Type "Notepad c:\boot.ini" and then press <Enter>
    >
    > 5) Edit the file to removed the extraneous line, save it, and then exit
    > Notepad.
    >
    > 6) Type "Attrib C:\Boot.ini +h +r +s" and then press <Enter>
    >
    > 7) Close the command console.
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > both at once. - RAH
Ask a new question

Read More

Floppy Disk Partition Windows