New DCs at Separate Sites

I have 3 new DC's set up at separate sites. I have set up sepearate Sites
and subnets in AD Sites and Services.

Each site is connected with DSL. Yesterday, one of the dsl lines went down
and users were unable to log on to their dc. What is the cause of this?

Should each dc have a gc?

Thanks,
7 answers Last reply
More about separate sites

    Yes, at least one gc per site is best.

    Or with 2003 server you can use Universal Caching to minimize gc/universal
    group replication.

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Margo"
    >I have 3 new DC's set up at separate sites. I have set up sepearate Sites
    > and subnets in AD Sites and Services.
    >
    > Each site is connected with DSL. Yesterday, one of the dsl lines went
    > down
    > and users were unable to log on to their dc. What is the cause of this?
    >
    > Should each dc have a gc?
    >
    > Thanks,

    So with a Windows 2000 dc, this is why they could not log on?

    "NIC Student" wrote:

    > Yes, at least one gc per site is best.
    >
    > Or with 2003 server you can use Universal Caching to minimize gc/universal
    > group replication.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Baldridge
    > Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >
    > "Margo"
    > >I have 3 new DC's set up at separate sites. I have set up sepearate Sites
    > > and subnets in AD Sites and Services.
    > >
    > > Each site is connected with DSL. Yesterday, one of the dsl lines went
    > > down
    > > and users were unable to log on to their dc. What is the cause of this?
    > >
    > > Should each dc have a gc?
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    Yes. On a three-DC network, I'd personally make all DCs global catalogue
    servers.

    Oli

    "Margo" <Margo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > So with a Windows 2000 dc, this is why they could not log on?
    >
    > "NIC Student" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, at least one gc per site is best.
    >>
    >> Or with 2003 server you can use Universal Caching to minimize
    >> gc/universal
    >> group replication.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scott Baldridge
    >> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >>
    >> "Margo"
    >> >I have 3 new DC's set up at separate sites. I have set up sepearate
    >> >Sites
    >> > and subnets in AD Sites and Services.
    >> >
    >> > Each site is connected with DSL. Yesterday, one of the dsl lines went
    >> > down
    >> > and users were unable to log on to their dc. What is the cause of
    >> > this?
    >> >
    >> > Should each dc have a gc?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,

    I agree with Oli. Make 'em all three gcs.

    If you have one "main" dc, ie the most powerful, I'd give all the FSMO roles
    to that one dc since they are all gcs.

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]"
    > Yes. On a three-DC network, I'd personally make all DCs global catalogue
    > servers.
    >
    > Oli
    >

    > "Margo"
    >> So with a Windows 2000 dc, this is why they could not log on?
    >>
    >> "NIC Student" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes, at least one gc per site is best.
    >>>
    >>> Or with 2003 server you can use Universal Caching to minimize
    >>> gc/universal
    >>> group replication.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Scott Baldridge
    >>> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >>>
    >>> "Margo"

    Advice is appreciated.

    I will eventually have over 25 sites and one dc at each site. Should they
    all be gcs as well?

    Thanks much.

    "NIC Student" wrote:

    > I agree with Oli. Make 'em all three gcs.
    >
    > If you have one "main" dc, ie the most powerful, I'd give all the FSMO roles
    > to that one dc since they are all gcs.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Baldridge
    > Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >
    > "Oli Restorick [MVP]"
    > > Yes. On a three-DC network, I'd personally make all DCs global catalogue
    > > servers.
    > >
    > > Oli
    > >

    > > "Margo"
    > >> So with a Windows 2000 dc, this is why they could not log on?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    Advice is appreciated.

    I will eventually have over 25 separate sites with dcs in each. In this
    case should each dc have a gc?

    Thanks much.

    "NIC Student" wrote:

    > I agree with Oli. Make 'em all three gcs.
    >
    > If you have one "main" dc, ie the most powerful, I'd give all the FSMO roles
    > to that one dc since they are all gcs.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Baldridge
    > Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >
    > "Oli Restorick [MVP]"
    > > Yes. On a three-DC network, I'd personally make all DCs global catalogue
    > > servers.
    > >
    > > Oli
    > >

    > > "Margo"
    > >> So with a Windows 2000 dc, this is why they could not log on?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

    > I will eventually have over 25 separate sites with dcs in each.
    ===========
    That's a different story.

    Determine if the sites are well connected, all with 10 mbs connection or
    better. If they all do, then you can make them all gcs because you have
    only have one site as far as A/D is concerned. They probably won't be all
    well connected, so you will need to:

    Have one gc at each site that is not well connected if you have enough users
    at that location to warrant a dc. If you have server 2003 then you can use
    universal caching instead of making more gcs, which is more efficient than
    regular gc replication.

    Seperate the FSMO roles as follows:

    FSMO placement and optimization on Windows 2000 domain controllers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223346

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Margo"
    > Advice is appreciated.
    >
    > I will eventually have over 25 separate sites with dcs in each. In this
    > case should each dc have a gc?
    >
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > "NIC Student" wrote:
    >
    >> I agree with Oli. Make 'em all three gcs.
    >>
    >> If you have one "main" dc, ie the most powerful, I'd give all the FSMO
    >> roles
    >> to that one dc since they are all gcs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scott Baldridge
    >> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >>
    >> "Oli Restorick [MVP]"
    >> > Yes. On a three-DC network, I'd personally make all DCs global
    >> > catalogue
    >> > servers.
    >> >
    >> > Oli
    >> >

    >> > "Margo"