User profile

Hi all,

The default user profile for Windows 2000 is c:\Documets and
Settings\<username>. How can I change it to other places? For example,
D:\Server01\<username>.

Thanks,
KK
4 answers Last reply
More about user profile

    This article may help.

    How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "KK" wrote:
    | Hi all,
    |
    | The default user profile for Windows 2000 is c:\Documets and
    | Settings\<username>. How can I change it to other places? For example,
    | D:\Server01\<username>.
    |
    | Thanks,
    | KK

    Thanks for your advice. The acticle works well for an existing profile.

    However, can we set something so that every newly create user would not
    point to "c:\Documents and Settings" but point to "d:\Server01\<username>"?
    I had tried changing the registry value "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory", however, when a new user
    login, she would fail with "Profiles cannot be loaded"...

    KK

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > This article may help.
    >
    > How to Move the Location of a Locally Cached Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q214470/
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "KK" wrote:
    > | Hi all,
    > |
    > | The default user profile for Windows 2000 is c:\Documets and
    > | Settings\<username>. How can I change it to other places? For example,
    > | D:\Server01\<username>.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | KK

    These may also help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q214636
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214653

    You'll need to also copy the file structure to the new location.

    --

    "KK" wrote:
    | Thanks for your advice. The acticle works well for an existing profile.
    |
    | However, can we set something so that every newly create user would not
    | point to "c:\Documents and Settings" but point to
    "d:\Server01\<username>"?
    | I had tried changing the registry value "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    | NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory", however, when a new user
    | login, she would fail with "Profiles cannot be loaded"...
    |
    | KK

    Thanks Patrick,

    I had tried the method in the following KB, but got some unexpected result...
    The result is I cannot login any more because it said cannot locate the
    profile...

    But I do something to work around. It seems foolish, but I can't find
    something better than that. Here is what I do:

    - copy the profile from c:\docume...\<username> to some other place by
    logout script
    - copy the files from other place back to c:\docume...\<username> by login
    script

    Am I foolish? haha

    Thanks anyway,

    KK

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > These may also help.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q214636
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214653
    >
    > You'll need to also copy the file structure to the new location.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "KK" wrote:
    > | Thanks for your advice. The acticle works well for an existing profile.
    > |
    > | However, can we set something so that every newly create user would not
    > | point to "c:\Documents and Settings" but point to
    > "d:\Server01\<username>"?
    > | I had tried changing the registry value "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > | NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ProfilesDirectory", however, when a new user
    > | login, she would fail with "Profiles cannot be loaded"...
    > |
    > | KK

Default Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows