geeko

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
my desktop has got a wireless card n an adsl wireless router too. I just got a notebook n cant seem to get a file/printer sharing network between them.

NEED IT URGENTLY

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
What does your question have to do with wide area networks?

But...

Have you run the windows home network setup wizard on both machines?

geeko

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
not wide area networking but wireless area network.
i hv a intel a/b/g card in the notebook which will use the windows network setup wizard. on my desktop i have a us robotics 5417 card which uses its software provided with the wan card. i think its called MAXg cofidration utility.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
OK, but you don't get to re-define what WAN means! It means Wide Area Network.

Check out this link or this link.

More selfishly (for you), you'll get more people to read your question if you post it in the correct subforum.

Now, back to your question: What you have noted are the wireless utilities for setting up the wireless communication itself. While this will allow the wireless card to communicate with the access point / router / whatever, it will not set up a Microsoft Windows Home network, which is what you need to do to enable your two computers to share devices and folders/files.

Go to My Network Places on each computer and run the wizard called "Setup a Home Network" (or similar title). You need to run this on each of your computers. Make sure you give each computer a different name, and the workgroup the same name (exactly) on each computer.

Then, go to My Computer and enable sharing on the drives, folders, etc. that you want to share.

Then, go to Control Panel - Printers and enable sharing on the printers you want to share.

And so on.