has cingular changed there policy on mediaworks?

Good morning. I spoke with two cingular cs reps and they both state that the
media works plan does not cover tethered devices but is only to be used from
the phone itself. I have seen posts here which lead me to believe that
people are using media works from there laptops for 19.99 per month. Where
can I get the real story on this? I have a client who is interested in
wireless Internet utilizing the phone connected to the modem and wanting to
use edge. I also don't want to give the client the wrong info and have them
slapped with a ton of charges. What is the final verdict on this? Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about cingular changed policy mediaworks

    The way I understand it, is that Cingular wants you to pay $80 a month if
    you are using a laptop with the phone. Mediaworks is only intended for the
    phone as the rep said. However, you can still get the laptop to work
    through the phone with no problem using the 19.99 Mediaworks. Just don't
    mention it when on the phone with the Cingular rep, and then you save $60
    month.

    In article <5Rzyd.16152$oS2.466@fe10.lga>,
    "John W. Hess" <fustibule@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Good morning. I spoke with two cingular cs reps and they both state that the
    > media works plan does not cover tethered devices but is only to be used from
    > the phone itself. I have seen posts here which lead me to believe that
    > people are using media works from there laptops for 19.99 per month. Where
    > can I get the real story on this? I have a client who is interested in
    > wireless Internet utilizing the phone connected to the modem and wanting to
    > use edge. I also don't want to give the client the wrong info and have them
    > slapped with a ton of charges. What is the final verdict on this? Thanks.

    You are seeing the difference between the announced policy, and what is
    tacitly allowed.

    John W. Hess wrote:
    > Good morning. I spoke with two cingular cs reps and they both state that the
    > media works plan does not cover tethered devices but is only to be used from
    > the phone itself. I have seen posts here which lead me to believe that
    > people are using media works from there laptops for 19.99 per month. Where
    > can I get the real story on this? I have a client who is interested in
    > wireless Internet utilizing the phone connected to the modem and wanting to
    > use edge. I also don't want to give the client the wrong info and have them
    > slapped with a ton of charges. What is the final verdict on this? Thanks.

    As others have said to your post, Cingular wants to get more money from
    you. The entire point of coming out with Media Works was to compete with
    T-Mobile's 19.99 unlimited data plan. That's what got me to switch. If
    you look at your contract or any of the printed material you received,
    there is no notice saying you can't connected a device such as a
    laptop/pda. With that said, they will not help you with it either. I
    guessing from Cingular's point of view the Meida Works package is "Do
    it your self" were as the $70 unlimited package allows them to recover
    the cost of providing support. On a side note, because there is no
    written notice, if Cingular decides to start enforcing a no laptop/PDA
    policy, it will automatically give customers a way out of their contacts
    without penalty. However I don't think this will happen with other
    wireless Internet options out there trying to compete.

    Just out of curiosity, how would they enforce no laptop/pda? Can they tell that a device is connected to the phone other than lots
    more traffic.

    "R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message news:41CB7DFB.2040807@usenetjunk.com...
    > John W. Hess wrote:
    >> Good morning. I spoke with two cingular cs reps and they both state that the media works plan does not cover tethered devices but
    >> is only to be used from the phone itself. I have seen posts here which lead me to believe that people are using media works from
    >> there laptops for 19.99 per month. Where can I get the real story on this? I have a client who is interested in wireless Internet
    >> utilizing the phone connected to the modem and wanting to use edge. I also don't want to give the client the wrong info and have
    >> them slapped with a ton of charges. What is the final verdict on this? Thanks.
    >
    > As others have said to your post, Cingular wants to get more money from you. The entire point of coming out with Media Works was
    > to compete with T-Mobile's 19.99 unlimited data plan. That's what got me to switch. If you look at your contract or any of the
    > printed material you received, there is no notice saying you can't connected a device such as a laptop/pda. With that said, they
    > will not help you with it either. I guessing from Cingular's point of view the Meida Works package is "Do it your self" were as
    > the $70 unlimited package allows them to recover the cost of providing support. On a side note, because there is no written
    > notice, if Cingular decides to start enforcing a no laptop/PDA policy, it will automatically give customers a way out of their
    > contacts without penalty. However I don't think this will happen with other wireless Internet options out there trying to compete.

    When I was w/ ATTWS - what an ATTWS support person told me was that
    ATT has a proxy or something in place which its job is to do just
    that.. it somehow detects phone vs. pda vs. laptop data usage and
    bills accordingly, the ATTWS person I spoke w/ seemed confident it is
    accurate more than 90% of the time.

    With technology being as it is, I am positive cnglr can do the same
    thing, or something else to monitor it, but it may not be worth their
    while, who knows.

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:29:58 GMT, "N Hamilton"
    <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Just out of curiosity, how would they enforce no laptop/pda? Can they tell that a device is connected to the phone other than lots
    >more traffic.
    >
    >"R.M" <usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote in message news:41CB7DFB.2040807@usenetjunk.com...
    >> John W. Hess wrote:
    >>> Good morning. I spoke with two cingular cs reps and they both state that the media works plan does not cover tethered devices but
    >>> is only to be used from the phone itself. I have seen posts here which lead me to believe that people are using media works from
    >>> there laptops for 19.99 per month. Where can I get the real story on this? I have a client who is interested in wireless Internet
    >>> utilizing the phone connected to the modem and wanting to use edge. I also don't want to give the client the wrong info and have
    >>> them slapped with a ton of charges. What is the final verdict on this? Thanks.
    >>
    >> As others have said to your post, Cingular wants to get more money from you. The entire point of coming out with Media Works was
    >> to compete with T-Mobile's 19.99 unlimited data plan. That's what got me to switch. If you look at your contract or any of the
    >> printed material you received, there is no notice saying you can't connected a device such as a laptop/pda. With that said, they
    >> will not help you with it either. I guessing from Cingular's point of view the Meida Works package is "Do it your self" were as
    >> the $70 unlimited package allows them to recover the cost of providing support. On a side note, because there is no written
    >> notice, if Cingular decides to start enforcing a no laptop/PDA policy, it will automatically give customers a way out of their
    >> contacts without penalty. However I don't think this will happen with other wireless Internet options out there trying to compete.

    By TCP/IP port access, not by proxy -- see below.

    Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:14:17 -0500
    From: Jim Gilliland
    Newsgroups: alt.cellular.attws
    Subject: Re: The $24.99 "unlimited" plan DOES charge extra for tethered data
    - in some cases

    Jim Gilliland wrote:

    > Well, I got my bill this week and sure enough there is an "additional
    > data" charge for that one day of tethered activity. I'm still not sure
    > how ATTWS is determining which data is tethered, but obviously they've
    > got a way to do it.

    I wrote the note above one month ago. I've now done some additional
    testing and have completed another billing cycle.

    During this cycle, I ran exactly three tethered sessions via my
    ATTWS-supplied, unlocked, Nokia 6620.

    Session 1: Connected via standard Windows dialer using bluetooth, used
    only HTTP, SMTP, and POP3 traffic.

    Session 2: Connected via standard Windows dialer using bluetooth, then
    connected a VPN session to my company's intranet over that existing IP
    stack. Ran Lotus Notes traffic, plus HTTP and other common protocols,
    all tunneled through the VPN session.

    Session 3: Connected via USB cable and Nokia "Connection Manager" as
    supplied by ATTWS, used only HTTP, SMTP, and POP3 traffic.

    My bill showed up this week on the ATTWS website. Only session 2 was
    billed.

    Conclusion: ATTWS (now Cingular) determines whether traffic is tethered
    or not according to the protocols and ports used, not anything inherent
    in the phone or dialer.

    Note: Others have conducted similar tests using other phones, and have
    gathered similar data and results. Standard web and mail protocols
    aren't billed as tethered even when they are in fact used by a tethered
    device. Less common protocols (VPN, SSH) are billed as tethered data.
    (See Howard Forums ATTWS section for additional reports.)

    And while I haven't yet encountered anyone who has run VPN software or
    SSH software on the phone itself, based on our observations to date I
    would expect such traffic to be billed as tethered - even if it's not!

Cingular Policy Internet Service Providers