Computer Stuffed

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
I have an athlon 1.4Ghz, Asus A7M266 M/B, 256MB Hyundai DDR-Ram, my computer works gr8 for about two weeks after that i get all sorts of errors and they are always different. The first error i got made all the files on my hardrive turn into 3 whereby running a scandisk of a DOS bootdisk reported 8GB of lost clusters (all that was on my HDD).

The second time whenever my computer loaded into windows as soon as it tried to open a program that runs at start-up (Asus Probe, Mixer etc) it bought up a kernell32 error. (This happened twice).

The third time, i was playing Counter-Strike when it locked up, i restarted my computer and it said i had an error on line 1 of my config.sys, so i put in the bootdisk again editied the config.sys, when it loaded into windows almost every single file on my computer was corrupted.

Like i said it work's fine for two weeks, but after a couple of weeks it just stuffs up.

Sorry for writing so much but i thought i should go into detail.

Psyclone

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

G

Try testing that hard drive in another computer. Sounds like an IBM hd I once had,it did the same.
What is the brand of the HDD anyway?

~I want a vapochill inside~

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Hi,
I dont have an IBM HDD, i have two seagate HDD's inside my paperweight. One of them is a 30GB Seagate Barracuda, and the other is an 8 GB seagate i thing but i'm not sure, i know it's not IBM though.

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
That sounds like a pretty serious problem :smile:

As you have two physical HDD's in your machine (only the C: drive is suffering right?), swap them to prove whether the fault lies with the HDD itself, rather than the IDE controller/motherboard, or something more sinister.