Autostart programs for different profiles

Hi. I would appreciate any advice on this.
I have searched these forums and my pc for info but cannot find the answer -
probably because I don't actually know the terminology - but I'm sure someone
will know what I am talking about.

I use XP home and am the main user with admin rights. I also have one other
user who only uses Internet explorer and MS Office. There is also guest user
for anyone else.

Problem is I have installed some software which works for me (for example a
backup program), but it also appears & starts when my named user logs in -
but she doesn't need it. How can I prevent these extra programs from loading
in her profile? Can I use msconfig to selectively start programs for
different profiles?

Thanks
Michael

http://www.kleeneze-people.co.uk
2 answers Last reply
More about autostart programs profiles

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:15:03 -0800, Michael Hoeben wrote:

    > Hi. I would appreciate any advice on this.
    > I have searched these forums and my pc for info but cannot find the answer -
    > probably because I don't actually know the terminology - but I'm sure someone
    > will know what I am talking about.
    >
    > I use XP home and am the main user with admin rights. I also have one other
    > user who only uses Internet explorer and MS Office. There is also guest user
    > for anyone else.
    >
    > Problem is I have installed some software which works for me (for example a
    > backup program), but it also appears & starts when my named user logs in -
    > but she doesn't need it. How can I prevent these extra programs from loading
    > in her profile? Can I use msconfig to selectively start programs for
    > different profiles?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Michael
    >

    > http://www.kleeneze-people.co.uk

    First find out how the program is starting. If it's starting from a
    shortcut in the Start> Startup folder, check to see which startup folder
    it's loading from. If it's in .\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup, move it to .\Documents and Settings\<your
    account>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    If the program is running at startup due to a configuration setting,
    disable that setting. Then create a shortcut to the program and put it in
    your startup folder.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In addition:
    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=udq03nMhEHA.1644%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Michael Hoeben" <MichaelHoeben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I would appreciate any advice on this.
    > I have searched these forums and my pc for info but cannot find the
    > answer -
    > probably because I don't actually know the terminology - but I'm sure
    > someone
    > will know what I am talking about.
    >
    > I use XP home and am the main user with admin rights. I also have one
    > other
    > user who only uses Internet explorer and MS Office. There is also guest
    > user
    > for anyone else.
    >
    > Problem is I have installed some software which works for me (for example
    > backup program), but it also appears & starts when my named user logs in -
    > but she doesn't need it. How can I prevent these extra programs from
    > in her profile? Can I use msconfig to selectively start programs for
    > different profiles?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Michael
    >

    > http://www.kleeneze-people.co.uk