Dual boot - want to delete 98

Alan

I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on parition
D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini, is it
on parition C or D?

"Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
> Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on
parition
> D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
> Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini, is
it
> on parition C or D?

It depends on the way your system is configured:
- Which drive is active, C: or D:?
- What file system do you use for Win2000, FAT or NTFS?

About the location of boot.ini: We can't tell - it's your PC!
I suggest you go and have a look. I also recommend that
you post its contents in your reply.

Alan

Here's the information of my harddisk:
Partition C is FAT 32, 16GB, it is active.
Partition D 16 GB.

Because I installed Win2K first, then Win98, if the boot.ini in parition D,
can I delete the Win98 entry and move this file to partition C ?

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
> > Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on
> parition
> > D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
> > Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini, is
> it
> > on parition C or D?
>
> It depends on the way your system is configured:
> - Which drive is active, C: or D:?
> - What file system do you use for Win2000, FAT or NTFS?
>
> About the location of boot.ini: We can't tell - it's your PC!
> I suggest you go and have a look. I also recommend that
> you post its contents in your reply.

If, as you say, your C: drive is on the active partition
then boot.ini would be on the same drive, same as
the other two Win2000 boot files: ntldr and ntdetect.com.
All are in the root directory and are hidden. It will
therefore note be necessary to move any file.