Dual boot - want to delete 98

I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on parition
D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini, is it
on parition C or D?
3 answers Last reply
More about dual boot delete

    "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
    > Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on
    parition
    > D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
    > Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini, is
    it
    > on parition C or D?

    It depends on the way your system is configured:
    - Which drive is active, C: or D:?
    - What file system do you use for Win2000, FAT or NTFS?

    About the location of boot.ini: We can't tell - it's your PC!
    I suggest you go and have a look. I also recommend that
    you post its contents in your reply.

    Here's the information of my harddisk:
    Partition C is FAT 32, 16GB, it is active.
    Partition D 16 GB.

    Because I installed Win2K first, then Win98, if the boot.ini in parition D,
    can I delete the Win98 entry and move this file to partition C ?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
    > > Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on
    > parition
    > > D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
    > > Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini, is
    > it
    > > on parition C or D?
    >
    > It depends on the way your system is configured:
    > - Which drive is active, C: or D:?
    > - What file system do you use for Win2000, FAT or NTFS?
    >
    > About the location of boot.ini: We can't tell - it's your PC!
    > I suggest you go and have a look. I also recommend that
    > you post its contents in your reply.

    If, as you say, your C: drive is on the active partition
    then boot.ini would be on the same drive, same as
    the other two Win2000 boot files: ntldr and ntdetect.com.
    All are in the root directory and are hidden. It will
    therefore note be necessary to move any file.

    > Here's the information of my harddisk:
    > Partition C is FAT 32, 16GB, it is active.
    > Partition D 16 GB.
    >
    > Because I installed Win2K first, then Win98, if the boot.ini in parition
    D,
    > can I delete the Win98 entry and move this file to partition C ?
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Alan" <NOSPAMalan_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > > I have paritioned my 32 GB harddisk into C and D.
    > > > Installed Win2K Professional on parition C, then installed Win98 on
    > > parition
    > > > D. Now I want to delete the Win98 to make room for Linux.
    > > > Can I just delete the files in paritition D ? How about the boot.ini,
    is
    > > it
    > > > on parition C or D?
    > >
    > > It depends on the way your system is configured:
    > > - Which drive is active, C: or D:?
    > > - What file system do you use for Win2000, FAT or NTFS?
    > >
    > > About the location of boot.ini: We can't tell - it's your PC!
    > > I suggest you go and have a look. I also recommend that
    > > you post its contents in your reply.

Dual Boot Windows