Sign in with
Your question

AMD 4800+ X2 939 @ 3GHZ VS AMD 6000+ X2 AM2 @ 3GHZ

Last response: in Overclocking
March 8, 2007 12:54:25 AM

Just curious guys how much of a advantage do you think DDR 2 gives the 6000+ vs my Overclocked 4800+ X2 .. Both have the same operating Frequency only one has DDR and the other has DDR2 ... I saw a review in Max pc where they said a Fx-60 clocked at 2.80GHZ and the FX-62 clocked at 2.80GHZ the latter only won in benchmarks by 1 to 3 percent average... Does that sound right????... I guess I'm wondering is DDR 2 getting better utilized now and that percent widing??? Thoughts???

Dave
March 8, 2007 1:13:19 AM

yeah probably close.

not a whole lot of difference.
March 10, 2007 8:13:56 PM

I think I am going to wait for the K10 to come out.. Upgrading from a 3GHZ X2 to anything in the Conroe family I'm not sure it would be worth it... I promised my wife I would not upgrade my computer until the AMD Quad's come out... I'm sure that A true native Quad will be able to beat Intel's Super glued dual's ( or Quad as they call it :lol:  ) I'm not a AMD fanboy I just like having the competition.. Because we all benefit from it wether you like AMD or Intel one without the other would be bad for all of us...

Conroe has woke AMD up and I think a new chip design was long over due for AMD...Does anybody know when DDR 3 is coming out and does the k10 support it???

Dave
Related resources
March 11, 2007 3:35:35 AM

the x38 chipset will support ddr3, samsung has shown ddr3 modules already at some place i forgot. i think it was nahelem that used the x38? i dnt know, but as taco said expect 2008 to bring alot more changes.

hold onto your money till xmas this year and you will see youve made the right choice.

i hope
March 11, 2007 4:20:06 AM

I agree with Taco. If you have a strong running 939 cpu, there's no good reason to invest in AM2. It would be better to put your money into a super graphics card than anything else. I think this summer will bring a bunch of changes, both from Intel and from AMD. That will be the time to start thinking of a new build if you're getting the urge to upgrade, in my opinion. Ok it might be late summer, but hopefully the hardware will be here. Of course, if you need to build now, then just pick what's best and go from there.
March 11, 2007 5:00:12 AM

Quote:
I think I am going to wait for the K10 to come out.. Upgrading from a 3GHZ X2 to anything in the Conroe family I'm not sure it would be worth it... I promised my wife I would not upgrade my computer until the AMD Quad's come out... I'm sure that A true native Quad will be able to beat Intel's Super glued dual's ( or Quad as they call it :lol:  ) I'm not a AMD fanboy I just like having the competition.. Because we all benefit from it wether you like AMD or Intel one without the other would be bad for all of us...

Conroe has woke AMD up and I think a new chip design was long over due for AMD...Does anybody know when DDR 3 is coming out and does the k10 support it???

Dave

Conroe is a sure step up in performance, but for the cost of a new motherboard, ram etc, it sure aint worth it...
March 11, 2007 2:05:19 PM

Quote:
hmm, I'd have to say going with a 939 opty would be a better choice than upgrading the whole system at his point, that or get better cooling. If you can get an opty 170 or 180, then you can go above 3ghz easily with some nice cooling, no need for 6000, the cost of a new motherboard, ram, and cpu outweighs the performance of getting just a faster cpu and better cooling, but that's not my choice to make

Assuming that he's already got a 4800+, he won't get much difference, if any, by going to the opty. With good cooling, a 4800+ can get 3 ghz, or close enough to it that it won't make any difference. Using hindsight, which is always perfect, I should have invested in a 4800+ rather than my FX60 and saved some dollars. Than again, I would have missed out on the image of having an FX cpu in my machine.
March 11, 2007 3:08:37 PM

Quote:
Assuming that he's already got a 4800+, he won't get much difference, if any, by going to the opty. With good cooling, a 4800+ can get 3 ghz, or close enough to it that it won't make any difference. Using hindsight, which is always perfect, I should have invested in a 4800+ rather than my FX60 and saved some dollars. Than again, I would have missed out on the image of having an FX cpu in my machine.

Yeah, even a 939 at 3Ghz keeps up with an E6600 and in some benches in the E6700 stage. So, why bother to upgrade?
March 11, 2007 3:26:48 PM

O.k so it sounds like the CPU is out of the question for a upgrade until the Quads come out what would be my next upgrade going by my current system specs.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ @ 3 GHZ (Liquid Cooled )
Video Card: X1900XT @ X1900XTX 655 core / Memory 786 MHz (1.556)
Sound Card: Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Ram: 2 GB of OCZ Platinum Ram 2-3-2-5 timings
Power Supply: Thermatake pure power 600 Watt
Hard Drives: 74 Gb 8MB Cache 10,000 Rpm Raptor
Back up drive: 200 GB Maxtor 11 series 16MB Cache

I would say that maybe a new sound card might be in order.... Or a new video card which I could be leaning towards.. But I have a DFI crossfire board with a ATI chipset... How would say a 8800 GTX get along with my mobo???? Should I wait for the ATI DX10 offering????? Or is my Audigy 2 card past it's prime????? Thoughts??? Thanks again for the advise on this...

Regards

Dave
March 11, 2007 3:49:50 PM

I should have mentioned that I have a new monitor a 19" Nec Multisync 90GX2 4Ms response and a G15 logitech Keyboard.. So I guess soundcard or videocard is my choice...Hmm decisions decisions

Dave
March 11, 2007 7:45:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah, even a 939 at 3Ghz keeps up with an E6600 and in some benches in the E6700 stage. So, why bother to upgrade?

Oddly enough, as I pass 3.1 ghz approach 3.2 ghz, it isn't my cpu that has problems, but my ram. I've had a running argument with Corsair that they keep giving me defective ram. They say its the mobo, but the mobo checks out and using other ram allows high cpu clocks. I'd make the investment in a different company's ram, but since the 939 and DDR ram are getting close to the end of their service life, I just leave the cpu at a fair overclock, but nothing extreme.
March 11, 2007 7:51:29 PM

I'm with Taco on this. If you want an immediate upgrade, get a 8800 GTX. If you feel like waiting a couple months and gambling that AMD will finally release the R600, then wait for that. Nothing else will make your machine much faster.

I made the change myself from an Audigy to a X-Fi Platinum and the difference is well worth it. But I have to add here that I've got a set of very good Klipsch THX 5.1 speakers. If you have lessor power speakers, you may not notice a better sound card all that much, if at all.
March 11, 2007 9:22:25 PM

Will a AMD Chipset and it's driver's get along with Nvidia's Graphics drivers?? I have a crossfire mobo will there be major headaches or should I just wait for R600 Ati cards

Regards

Dave
March 11, 2007 10:49:00 PM

Quote:
Will a AMD Chipset and it's driver's get along with Nvidia's Graphics drivers?? I have a crossfire mobo will there be major headaches or should I just wait for R600 Ati cards

Regards

Dave

That has been a bane of Crossfire mobos. At least from last I heard, they aren't at all friendly with Nvidia cards, whereas a SLI board will at least let a person run one ATI card. There may be driver hacks around this, but I'm unaware of them at the moment. In this case, unless you're willing to change the motherboard or you find a driver that allows a Nvidia card, it would be best to wait for the R600.
!