Very slow logging in

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 15, 2005 3:47:04 AM

We have 3x Servers: 1x 2000 FSMO DC, 1x 2003DC & 1x 2003MembServ
(Exchange2003).
We have problems with extremely slow login times (applying settings dialogue
box showing for minutes etc). I know some of our workstations could do with
upgrading, but some are fine and still take a long time. I have moved some
accounts for a test to an OU with no GPO applied to test to see if that is
the problem, and it is still taking forever. It has been like this since I
started here four months ago. A network audit shows that only 3% of our
bandwidth is used up (standard ethernet 100mb backbone). The workstations
are Win2k SP4; any ideas? This is becoming a big issue, and I am doing th
eusual, updating NIC drivers, cutting out protocols we don't use (NetBEUI -
we only use TCP/IP), more memory for workstations etc, but if anyone thinks I
am missing something I would be very grateful for some advice.

-------
Tech Admin
West Midlands, England
Stressed and Tired!
--------

More about : slow logging

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:10:59 PM

Are the machines pointing to your internal DNS server? They should be. DNS
is the most likely cause of this issue with Win2k and up machines.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
"Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have 3x Servers: 1x 2000 FSMO DC, 1x 2003DC & 1x 2003MembServ
> (Exchange2003).
> We have problems with extremely slow login times (applying settings
> dialogue
> box showing for minutes etc). I know some of our workstations could do
> with
> upgrading, but some are fine and still take a long time. I have moved
> some
> accounts for a test to an OU with no GPO applied to test to see if that is
> the problem, and it is still taking forever. It has been like this since
> started here four months ago. A network audit shows that only 3% of our
> bandwidth is used up (standard ethernet 100mb backbone). The
> workstations
> are Win2k SP4; any ideas? This is becoming a big issue, and I am doing th
> eusual, updating NIC drivers, cutting out protocols we don't use
> (NetBEUI -
> we only use TCP/IP), more memory for workstations etc, but if anyone
> thinks I
> am missing something I would be very grateful for some advice.
>

> -------
> Tech Admin
> West Midlands, England
> Stressed and Tired!
> --------
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:11:00 PM

Yup.. all set on the DHCP scope correctly to farm out the info.. maybe I
should recheck everything. But I would have thought that if an incorrect DNS
info is being given out then nothing would resolve once users are logged in?

"Scott Harding" wrote:

> Are the machines pointing to your internal DNS server? They should be. DNS
> is the most likely cause of this issue with Win2k and up machines.
>
> --
> Scott Harding
> MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have 3x Servers: 1x 2000 FSMO DC, 1x 2003DC & 1x 2003MembServ
> > (Exchange2003).
> > We have problems with extremely slow login times (applying settings
> > dialogue
> > box showing for minutes etc). I know some of our workstations could do
> > with
> > upgrading, but some are fine and still take a long time. I have moved
> > some
> > accounts for a test to an OU with no GPO applied to test to see if that is
> > the problem, and it is still taking forever. It has been like this since
> > started here four months ago. A network audit shows that only 3% of our
> > bandwidth is used up (standard ethernet 100mb backbone). The
> > workstations
> > are Win2k SP4; any ideas? This is becoming a big issue, and I am doing th
> > eusual, updating NIC drivers, cutting out protocols we don't use
> > (NetBEUI -
> > we only use TCP/IP), more memory for workstations etc, but if anyone
> > thinks I
> > am missing something I would be very grateful for some advice.
> >

> > -------
> > Tech Admin
> > West Midlands, England
> > Stressed and Tired!
> > --------

March 15, 2005 12:11:01 PM

In the DHCP Server, the Scope Options have the correct IP addy for the DNS
server and for DNS Domain Name

"Chris Hagon" wrote:

> Yup.. all set on the DHCP scope correctly to farm out the info.. maybe I
> should recheck everything. But I would have thought that if an incorrect DNS
> info is being given out then nothing would resolve once users are logged in?
>

> "Scott Harding" wrote:
>
> > Are the machines pointing to your internal DNS server? They should be. DNS
> > is the most likely cause of this issue with Win2k and up machines.
> >
> > --
> > Scott Harding
> > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
> > "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We have 3x Servers: 1x 2000 FSMO DC, 1x 2003DC & 1x 2003MembServ
> > > (Exchange2003).
> > > We have problems with extremely slow login times (applying settings
> > > dialogue
> > > box showing for minutes etc). I know some of our workstations could do
> > > with
> > > upgrading, but some are fine and still take a long time. I have moved
> > > some
> > > accounts for a test to an OU with no GPO applied to test to see if that is
> > > the problem, and it is still taking forever. It has been like this since
> > > started here four months ago. A network audit shows that only 3% of our
> > > bandwidth is used up (standard ethernet 100mb backbone). The
> > > workstations
> > > are Win2k SP4; any ideas? This is becoming a big issue, and I am doing th
> > > eusual, updating NIC drivers, cutting out protocols we don't use
> > > (NetBEUI -
> > > we only use TCP/IP), more memory for workstations etc, but if anyone
> > > thinks I
> > > am missing something I would be very grateful for some advice.
> > >

> > > -------
> > > Tech Admin
> > > West Midlands, England
> > > Stressed and Tired!
> > > --------

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:19:54 PM

In an AD environment long log in times are the result of misconfigured DNS
*most* of the time.

Your description of your servers don't mention a DNS server. AD MUST have a
DNS server for the AD domain.
Basically the AD DNS server must point to itself for DNS in the properties
of TCP/IP, all clients must point to the AD DNS server ONLY (pointing them
to your ISP will get them Internet access but result in long log in times).
For Internet access set up the AD DNS server to forward requests and list
your ISP's DNS servers as the forwarder or use root hints.
See:
Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have 3x Servers: 1x 2000 FSMO DC, 1x 2003DC & 1x 2003MembServ
> (Exchange2003).
> We have problems with extremely slow login times (applying settings
> dialogue
> box showing for minutes etc). I know some of our workstations could do
> with
> upgrading, but some are fine and still take a long time. I have moved
> some
> accounts for a test to an OU with no GPO applied to test to see if that is
> the problem, and it is still taking forever. It has been like this since
> started here four months ago. A network audit shows that only 3% of our
> bandwidth is used up (standard ethernet 100mb backbone). The
> workstations
> are Win2k SP4; any ideas? This is becoming a big issue, and I am doing th
> eusual, updating NIC drivers, cutting out protocols we don't use
> (NetBEUI -
> we only use TCP/IP), more memory for workstations etc, but if anyone
> thinks I
> am missing something I would be very grateful for some advice.
>

> -------
> Tech Admin
> West Midlands, England
> Stressed and Tired!
> --------
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:19:55 PM

Great links Danny, I'll check them out - thanks for taking the time

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> In an AD environment long log in times are the result of misconfigured DNS
> *most* of the time.
>
> Your description of your servers don't mention a DNS server. AD MUST have a
> DNS server for the AD domain.
> Basically the AD DNS server must point to itself for DNS in the properties
> of TCP/IP, all clients must point to the AD DNS server ONLY (pointing them
> to your ISP will get them Internet access but result in long log in times).
> For Internet access set up the AD DNS server to forward requests and list
> your ISP's DNS servers as the forwarder or use root hints.
> See:
> Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
> Server 2003
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036
>
> Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
>
> How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
>

> How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380
>

> hth
>
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>

> "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have 3x Servers: 1x 2000 FSMO DC, 1x 2003DC & 1x 2003MembServ
> > (Exchange2003).
> > We have problems with extremely slow login times (applying settings
> > dialogue
> > box showing for minutes etc). I know some of our workstations could do
> > with
> > upgrading, but some are fine and still take a long time. I have moved
> > some
> > accounts for a test to an OU with no GPO applied to test to see if that is
> > the problem, and it is still taking forever. It has been like this since
> > started here four months ago. A network audit shows that only 3% of our
> > bandwidth is used up (standard ethernet 100mb backbone). The
> > workstations
> > are Win2k SP4; any ideas? This is becoming a big issue, and I am doing th
> > eusual, updating NIC drivers, cutting out protocols we don't use
> > (NetBEUI -
> > we only use TCP/IP), more memory for workstations etc, but if anyone
> > thinks I
> > am missing something I would be very grateful for some advice.
> >

> > -------
> > Tech Admin
> > West Midlands, England
> > Stressed and Tired!
> > --------

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:47:35 PM

Do an ipconfig, is DHCP dishing it out correctly? If so, are the srv records
for the domain in DNS?

--
Hope it helps...........

dw

Don Wilwol
Blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/wilwol/
Web - http://capital.net/~wilwol/dw.htm
DonWilwol(REMOVE)@yahoo.com

> In the DHCP Server, the Scope Options have the correct IP addy for the DNS
> server and for DNS Domain Name
>
> "Chris Hagon" wrote:
>
>> Yup.. all set on the DHCP scope correctly to farm out the info.. maybe I
>> should recheck everything. But I would have thought that if an incorrect
>> DNS
>> info is being given out then nothing would resolve once users are logged
>> in?
>>

>> "Scott Harding" wrote:
>>
>> > Are the machines pointing to your internal DNS server? They should be.
>> > DNS
>> > is the most likely cause of this issue with Win2k and up machines.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Scott Harding
>> > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
>> > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
>> > "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:41:03 AM

The DHCP Serv is dishing the DNS addy out as it shows in an ipconfig /all ..
As for the srv records, well, I'm no DNS expert :(  We have forward and
reverse lookup zones, but I notice this morning that the DNS server is
entered twice. Months ago before my time it was renamed, but the old Server
name is in the forward look up zone as well as the current server name but
both with the same IP address - could this be causing a problem by confusing
the workstations?

"Don Wilwol" wrote:

> Do an ipconfig, is DHCP dishing it out correctly? If so, are the srv records
> for the domain in DNS?
>
> --
> Hope it helps...........
>
> dw
>
> Don Wilwol
> Blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/wilwol/
> Web - http://capital.net/~wilwol/dw.htm
> DonWilwol(REMOVE)@yahoo.com
>
> "Chris Hagon" <ChrisHagon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In the DHCP Server, the Scope Options have the correct IP addy for the DNS
> > server and for DNS Domain Name
> >
> > "Chris Hagon" wrote:
> >
> >> Yup.. all set on the DHCP scope correctly to farm out the info.. maybe I
> >> should recheck everything. But I would have thought that if an incorrect
> >> DNS
> >> info is being given out then nothing would resolve once users are logged
> >> in?

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:48:05 PM

absolutley. Delete the old records and give a try.

--

!