Start up problem

After switch on, my PC gets as far as displaying the
blue/white 2000 Pro loading screen then displays a plain
blue screen for a fraction of a second (just long enough
to see there is some dos text in the top left) before
switching off and running BIOS/mem test over again ...
and so on.

I assumed, obviously wrongly, that the recommended
Emergency Repair Disk I made when first loading 2000,
could be used to make an emergency repair.

Any help out there?
hap
5 answers Last reply
More about start problem

    Try a safe mode boot. (F8 key at startup)

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "hap" wrote:
    | After switch on, my PC gets as far as displaying the
    | blue/white 2000 Pro loading screen then displays a plain
    | blue screen for a fraction of a second (just long enough
    | to see there is some dos text in the top left) before
    | switching off and running BIOS/mem test over again ...
    | and so on.
    |
    | I assumed, obviously wrongly, that the recommended
    | Emergency Repair Disk I made when first loading 2000,
    | could be used to make an emergency repair.
    |
    | Any help out there?
    | hap

    Thanks but no joy.

    Selected Safe Mode. Displayed "Starting Windows ...." (DOS screen), joined
    the dots then switched off again. Next time F8 didn't even operate!

    Any other ideas?

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > Try a safe mode boot. (F8 key at startup)
    >
    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "hap" wrote:
    > | After switch on, my PC gets as far as displaying the
    > | blue/white 2000 Pro loading screen then displays a plain
    > | blue screen for a fraction of a second (just long enough
    > | to see there is some dos text in the top left) before
    > | switching off and running BIOS/mem test over again ...
    > | and so on.
    > |
    > | I assumed, obviously wrongly, that the recommended
    > | Emergency Repair Disk I made when first loading 2000,
    > | could be used to make an emergency repair.
    > |
    > | Any help out there?
    > | hap

    I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    then navigate to the
    %windir%\system32\config
    directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
    Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
    controlset, then navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
    Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

    "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
    "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
    "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
    Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
    original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
    the stop error.

    Bug Check Codes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

    If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
    prior to rebuilding the operating system.

    This article may also help you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465

    --

    "DeepDarkNews" wrote:
    | Thanks but no joy.
    |
    | Selected Safe Mode. Displayed "Starting Windows ...." (DOS screen), joined
    | the dots then switched off again. Next time F8 didn't even operate!
    |
    | Any other ideas?

    Thanks for this Dave. Your advice is welcome, but I think we're now into
    tech territory and I'll hire some human help.

    With appreciation

    hap

    >I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    > regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    > then navigate etc

    OK

    --

    "Lawman" wrote:
    | Thanks for this Dave. Your advice is welcome, but I think we're now into
    | tech territory and I'll hire some human help.
    |
    | With appreciation
    |
    | hap

Windows